USA Custom or Collector's Series

scottellis94

My drum kit is a PDP X7 and, not gonna lie, it's a really nice drum kit for a beginner/intermediate player. However, I feel that my style of play doesn't match that kit anymore because it has changed so much. For me the kit is just TOO BIG. I am looking at both a DW Collector's series kit or a Gretsch USA Custom. They are both incredible drum kits and have the price to show for that too. I am looking for a 4, or maybe a 5 piece with two floor toms. I play a lot of jazz and funk along with alt rock occasionally. I am also getting into fusion and gospel stuff. Any suggestions that go along with those standards? Feel free to add a kit to this list that I don't have on it. I also like Sonor a lot, but they are pricey. Also if you have recs for cymbals or a snare for that style please inform me! Love to hear your input.

With all the styles you are playing, I would go with 2 up 2 down such as 10 12 14 16 22. That gives you some flexibility to use different set-ups for different gigs. For example, if you are playing fusion I'd think you'd want to have 2 up for fusion style fills (think Billy Cobham). Remember, its not required to take every tom to every gig. Variety is the spice of life. Its better to get a 6 piece now vs wanting to add on later.

That a good idea. What is your opinion on the Gretsch bs the DW?

These 'either/or' threads are interesting, but tough! As every drum brand has professional endorsers who play jazz, funk, alt rock, fusion and gospel on the same kit I think it's hard to make the claim that any one kit is exclusively better for a certain genre - rock drummers play Gretsch, Jazz drummers play Yamaha Maple's, Fusion drummers play Mapex Saturns, etc...) A few months ago no one would have put Ludwig and fusion in the same sentence, but now Vinnie's moved over, have they suddenly become the ultimate fusion kit?

In the price bracket you are considering every brand has a kit that will do the job.The big factor for playing in specific genres is the head choice and tuning. I would have thought that most modern high-end kits are going to tune throughout the sort of tuning range you are after.

There's so much choice, there's nothing wrong about cutting down the choice to USA Custom or Collector's Series if there's something about the sound or the brands that you like. However, DW collectors and Gretsch sound very very different from each other so the big question is, which sound do you prefer?

If you like them both equally, then ask yourself which do you think looks nicer?
Which is better priced?
Which brand turns you on more?
Do you want to say you are a DW player or a Gretsch player?
These might sound shallow, but if you can't decide on sound, decide on looks!!

I own a Gretsch now, but have owned DW Collectors before. I prefer the Gretsch (but I've always preferred the sound of a straight sided shell). It is a much more 'alive' sounding kit than a DW to me. The DW sounded a bit dull and thuddy - like a very good drum machine, but I suppose you could argue that that generic 'studio' sound makes it versatile. If you want a Gretsch to be thuddy and DW-like you can throw some EC2s on it, but there's no head out there that can make a DW sound like a Gretsch. I've always found DW collectors to be a big let down, but others love them... as you only have to do a quick search on here to see.

Maybe look at Yamaha Maple Customs too if you want another good all-rounder in the mix.

Size wise, 10, 12, 14, 16 makes sense, but do consider a 20" bass drum. If you are mainly interested in jazz, funk, fusion there's no reason why you need to go bigger (you can get a good 20" bass drum to rock hard as well)

Good luck!

Like the other's said, for that price range any kit will be top top quality and could be a joy to own.

You should be thinking about the tone, the sizes, and the finish you want. Then go to DW and Gretsch and see what they offer..

-Gretsch has straight Maple/Gum shell, while DW has All-Maple shells +rerings.
-Gretsch has rounded bearing edges that give the drums more mellow/woody tone. DW's edges are sharp and give more attack.
-USA Customs come with diecast hoops... Collector's come standard with triple flanged hoops. Die casts are heavier and stiffer so you get more focused sound and a more evenly tensioned head. Depending on your head choice Die casts can be really dead though.
-etc.

I imagine gospel guys generally lean toward DW.... Gretsch is a common choice for jazz/funk guys.. but genre matching is all so subjective, it really doesn't mean anything.

Most importantly, like pbm said, whatever you buy needs to be something that you like. You need to feel comfortable behind your kit. There are lots of opinions out there about diecast vs. triple flanged, shell construction and composition, etc, but if a kit doesn't sound good to you, then it doesn't sound good.

Last edited:
Too big in the sizes, or in the number of drums? What sizes are you looking at getting?

I meant the number of drums. It is nice because I can change out the toms for different sounds, but I don't wanna buy a seven piece DW or Gretsch. That would be 6 grand. Haha but I do really enjoy the versatility of that kit. I still have stock heads on it because it's only about a year old and I am a broke high school student. I am soon replacing them though. I love Remo, but wondred about a clear versus coated, and also pinstripe or not on those. That is for my style of course. Thanks a ton for your input.

Also thank you pbm and wsabol! Do you guys have any recs for a nice sounding kit in a little lower price range? Maybe like 800-2000 dollars? Any brand. I just wanna test the water while I'm still young!

Last edited:
I forgot to add this, but I am also in the beginnings of playing a lot of Latin and Afrocuban groove stuff. It is what my teacher has me playing and I love it, but I feel like my kit isn't the right sound for that. The book we are using is Advanced Funk Studies by Rick Latham. It's an incredible book!

I am looking for a 4, or maybe a 5 piece with two floor toms.
I'd keep the PDP's for a while, and play with them set up in different configurations. (I'll assume you have the 3 rack tom, 2 floor configuration). See if you like 1 up, two down. 2 up, 1 down. 1 up, 1 down. And while you're "experimenting" with set ups, go out and listen to drummers playing Gretsch and DW kits (and anything else, that interests you).​
A little "homework" will give you the knowledge to make up your mind.​
.... Latin and Afrocuban .... I feel like my kit isn't the right sound for that.
That might just be head selection, and tuning.​

I forgot to add this, but I am also in the beginnings of playing a lot of Latin and Afrocuban groove stuff.

Hey Scott, If you really have to change kit now, and on a budget, pick up a used Mapex Saturn. It will do anything at a great price.

It sounds to me like now might not be the right time to change. If you are broke student you will lay out a load of cash you can't afford and I guarantee you the kit that comes won't be the 'perfect' sound. You'll be thinking, it's good, but as I'm into Afro-cuban stuff now maybe DW would be better (like Alex Acuna), or Yamaha (like Jimmy Branly), or Gretsch (like Fidel Morales), or Pearl (like Heracio Hernandez), etc, etc... and be forever chasing that elusive 'something' (which may well be studio production). I've been there as have probably 99% of the Drummerworld community!

I TOTALLY get the desire to move kit as our tastes change or we get better at our instrument (not to mention that primal need for a new gear buzz)! The truth is, If you've been using the PDP stock heads for a year, that could be your problem right there - you probably don't know what your PDP is capable of! Experiment with some heads. If money is tight, pick out two toms (12" rack, 14" floor probably for your music) and buy a selection of heads - get very lightly used ones off eBay if it helps (and don't forget to buy some fresher reso heads!) Heads and tuning will transform a drum. Bass drum wise, you can't go wrong with a PS3 but experiment - if you buy coated use a wood beater for more attack when you need it, if you go clear, use a felt beater for less attack when you need it. I've had great success with Coated Ambassadors for the bass drum, changing the sound with felt strips rather than having the damping built in. Take some time now to really know the sound you want, the effect of drum heads and tuning on that sound. It will make a big difference when you come to buy that lovely new kit.

Last edited:
I am now convinced i don't need a new kit. I am still young in the world of modifying drums! Thank you guys for this advice!

Any reccomendations on snare, cymbals, heads, pedals, and anything else I can do to that kit to make it sound great?

Step 1 for me would be a total drum head overhaul. Its pretty much the easy way to revitalize any kit.

You can play pretty much anything with Ctd Ambassador over Hazy Ambassador on your snare; Ctd Ambassador or Ctd Emperor over Clear Ambassador on the toms; and a PS3 or EMAD on your kick. That's what I like; you may not, and that's fine. There will be a million other very valid recommendations out there for you to consider.

There are lots over heads out there, Evans has sound files on their website of most of their selection. You can't always hear a variety of different heads side by side in real life. Use the search tool on this forum, listen to different heads on youtube, find out what your favorite drummers are using and why, read about how coatings, plys, and muffling affect the sound of the drum. Sounds like a lot but its really pretty basic when you get to bottom of it. There is an exciting world of gear out there waiting for you haha

Thanks man. I know to most I'm just an annoying kid, but you've been super helpful, along with many others. I'm 18 and been drumming since I was 4, but I guess this stuff hasn't ever mattered to me until recently when I decided to take the drums seriously. Thanks again man. And I will keep y'all updated and hopefully get some before pics up and then eventually some afters!

Back