Joey Jordison

Great post archaic. You're right, we shouldn't try to take away from Joey because he's in Slipknot (which may or may not lose him credibility). Again, like you said, take away the band and he's still there and as an overall musician he obviously works hard and does well for himself. So any Joey-haters out there, look at his overall body of work.

Christ, I'm not even a Slipknot fan, quite the opposite.

Does any one think joey maybe a littel over rated ive herd so much about how he is the fastest but yet people like george kollias(nile) and pete sandoval (morbid angel) are alot faster than him but dont get eny glory and joey get lots, maybe its the masks?

it's definitely not the masks!! o.k. maybe he is nor as fast as george kollias neither as derrek roddy, flo mounier and conny peterson ( to name some other examples), but he's really a great drummer with a very individual and cool style...besides, they also perform unmasked sometimes.o.k you never see their faces clearly...but that's not what it''s about...it's about music!!!

jarrod said:
Does any one think joey maybe a littel over rated ive herd so much about how he is the fastest but yet people like george kollias(nile) and pete sandoval (morbid angel) are alot faster than him but dont get eny glory and joey get lots, maybe its the masks?

The masks really don't have anything to do with Joey's overall talent on the drums. As I stated before, if you take all that away, he's just a drummer and he may not be the fastest but he is still a speed demon. And you're right, drummers like the one's you've mentioned really don't get much credit but perhaps that has something to do with the fact that most of the masses don't dive that deep into metal, therefore they don't ever hear those excellent drummers. They all possess a lot of talent, Joey is just more known for it because the bands he's in are listened to by more people.

i think they add accents and stuff. but Crowding the stage isnt all bad. It looks neat and it sells. ya gotta give them props. as for joey, hes a great player. And its not limmited to metal.

Thats not right! You shouldnt say that! theres people out here that will get offended about your comment on joey! (like me! But thats coz im in LOVE with him!)...joey is an excellent drummer! And a great guitarist in murderdolls! in fact slipknot are great..their music is all original and they have their own style...instad of just a normal band..( E.g, bass, drums guitar, singer) they have all that plus more...which is very talented and artistic of them...SO GIVE JOEY A BREAK!PLZ? for the love of god....

Re:RE: Joey Jordison

Well, i think that slipknot are FANTASTIC! and joey is like GOD! hes EXCELLENT on drums...i think the drumming in the songs are excellent, including shawn and chris...to me it all works out perfectley!...they are coolio!

The thing that I don't like about Joey are his solos, but thats about it.
He is an exceptional drummer.

Last edited:
distant_angel9 said:
Thats not right! You shouldnt say that! theres people out here that will get offended about your comment on joey! (like me! But thats coz im in LOVE with him!)...joey is an excellent drummer! And a great guitarist in murderdolls! in fact slipknot are great..their music is all original and they have their own style...instad of just a normal band..( E.g, bass, drums guitar, singer) they have all that plus more...which is very talented and artistic of them...SO GIVE JOEY A BREAK!PLZ? for the love of god....
give joey a break? no problem, but i wouldn't say he was god. i wouldn't even say steve gadd was god. not even buddy rich. because i am yet to see the perfect drummer. and i think because of that we're intitled to believe saying that joey jordison is god is a little silly. i realise you're not the one who said it in the first place, but you know what i mean.

I have been listening tyo slipknot since the first album came out and i would like to say that although chris and shawn are essential to the bands stage show they are not really needed for percussion purposes.

If you look at the video on joeys section of drummerworld and watch the clip where they play heretic anthem on SNL you will hear how raw and aggressive it sounds without the timpany and other backing percussion.

I love slipknot as much as anyone here (although iowa left something to be desired, but all was made up for volume 3, i f**cking love that album) however i feel that chris and shawn are only neccesary for backing vocals the majority of the time (i cant remember which track it is but on one track they have a screaming call and answer thing which sounds amazing! it might be track 3 but i am probably wrong) and stage performance. The percussion is only required in a few songs, ie pulse of the maggots with the beer keg.

jon

since i love joey and slipknot i thought this would be a good first post. he has the fastest double bass ive ever heard and some great fills. he just keeps getting better with their new albums (vol.3 kicks serious ass) and the drum solo on their live album is much better then the one from the disasterpiece dvd. as for the 2 other percounists there not really needed, but they add to the live show which is pretty intense

I agree vol 3 was pritty good but i think some of there older stuff is better vol3 is getting a littel soft and i also agree with unless you really into metal he will prolly be the fastest double bass player you here unless you give some time to find faster ones and yeah he does suit slipknot

I dont know about the album getting a bit soft being a bad thing, as musicians the whole group have outdone themselves and so for me this is their best album by one hell of a long way, not saying that there arent other tracks on other albums which are amazing.

I also strongly agree with looking out for better metal drummers. Loving bran dailor at the moment, the guy is a machine. Also does anyone know the name of the drummer for devil driver? He is the tightest metal drummer i have heard in ages, at first i thought it was adrum machine. Listen to "end of the line" and tell me otherwise.

Jon

archaic_sin said:
I'm posting this more out of boredom than anything, but I do feel I need to shed some light on the subject. So, here we go.

I grew up on Slipknot, and even today they still remain my favorite band. But even this fact doesn't dilute my feelings on what makes a good drummer. I've listened to a lot of different bands, and I've heard many drummers, and I can personally say I do not think Joey is the greatest drummer ever, nor do I think he's the greatest metal drummer ever.

I think a lot of his appeal comes from the fact that he is truly an amazing guy. He is one of those people that takes what he does seriously and he's constantly working to improve. He's only thirty one and he's managed to make a career as a drummer, and a very good drummer at that. He's also become a very big inspiration for a lot of the younger kids just getting into the drums (myself included) and I think this is why a lot of people despise him, and Slipknot.

The popularity of Slipknot really takes away from what he's done as a drummer, but if you take away Slipknot and you take away the fame, what you're left with is him as a drummer, as a musician. He's got a great style and he really feels for the music he makes behind the kit. He's still got a long career ahead of him and can only get better as time goes on (or worse as some drummers have shown us in the past). Again, I will say, he's not the best drummer, but he's definitly up there on the charts.

Plus, you got to remember, this guy not only plays drums, but he plays guitar, he plays bass, and he produces CDs. You can really respect him just for what he's accomplished, and what he's in the process of accomplishing. Maybe one day when his time is over, people will see that he really does possess a great talent and pure love for the drums and music in general.

-------

And as for the subject of Shawn and Chris in Slipknot.

When the band first started out, they really wanted a whole overall audio assault with drums pounding from the front with Joey being a main support for the group in the back. The idea gradually changed over the years as Shawn and Chris picked up on back up vocals, but the overall effect when it's put on CD is really amazing. Shawn himself is an incredibly intelligent guy, maybe not when it comes to his personal health, but mentally, he's all there. If he wasn't in Slipknot, they really wouldn't be who they are today.

------

Well, I do believe I've spoken my mind....
Let this be a lesson in life.
Don't let boredom take over your soul....

Yeah man i agree with you here.

I definately dont think that Joey is the best metal drummer, of course he isnt. However, joey, chris and clown both contribute to Slipknot, which is one of the biggest metal bands out there at the moment, so you cannot argue their talents.

I think the main reason people dish out Joey because he is in a nu metal band, or they are generally bias against metal. There are plenty of older drumers that are famous in history, theat are not that good. The reason they are popular though, is because they were the first ones to do what everyone does today. So why do they pay out Joey?

Like you said he puts full effort into his drums and Slipknot, and his contribution has helped put Slipknot where they are. He has great talent.

kornslipknot said:
I definately dont think that Joey is the best metal drummer, of course he isnt. However, joey, chris and clown both contribute to Slipknot, which is one of the biggest metal bands out there at the moment, so you cannot argue their talents.

Just because a band is big doesnt mean the musicians are talented. Look at the Rolling Stones, they have been around for 40 years and still suck at playing their instruments. They are popular because they followed the mold of how to get a hit song, and because kids attached to them to rebel against their parents. I am not saying the Joey isnt talented, he is but the clown dude and the other percussionist are just there to layer the sound, nothing else. But are they needed, no. Could Slipknot have the same sound without them, yes.

I think that real metalheads dislike Slipknot more than people who dont like metal to begin with because Slipknot has alot of fans who go around thinking Slipknot are the fastest/heaviest/brutalist metal band around and wont even recognize other metal bands than Slipknot, Metallica, Trivium etc.

Back