Phil "Philthy Animal" Taylor

Guz2

Sorry if there's already a thread, I searched and didn't find anything. Anyway, Phil was the drummer of Motörhead from 1975-1984 and 1987-1992. He grooves like hell, he was a pioneer of the double-bass sound and he looks like Dave Lister. What's not to love?

Negative: Ever see the video to "Ace of Spades"? He doesn't even come close to playing it right. There are all these drum rolls and he's just pounding away on the snare. It's possible the video maker just dubbed the song over top of Motorhead playing something else, but it's a painful video to watch the drummer (though Lemmy and Eddie look good), but I dont like watching Phil in that video...and yes Motorhead rules.

Negative: Ever see the video to "Ace of Spades"? He doesn't even come close to playing it right. There are all these drum rolls and he's just pounding away on the snare. It's possible the video maker just dubbed the song over top of Motorhead playing something else, but it's a painful video to watch the drummer (though Lemmy and Eddie look good), but I don't like watching Phil in that video...and yes Motorhead rules.

Seriously, it's just a video. That hardly has anything to do with his playing now, does it?

I like Phil's playing- it swings hard and was often filled with little weird unconventional things or 'techniques' that came from him being self taught. Plus, though his playing was declining in the 'Rock and Roll' period, he knew when to play a lot of notes (i.e. 'One to Sing the Blues') and hardly any (i.e. the flams in 'We Are The Road Crew'.)

G

Seriously, it's just a video. That hardly has anything to do with his playing now, does it?

I like Phil's playing- it swings hard and was often filled with little weird unconventional things or 'techniques' that came from him being self taught. Plus, though his playing was declining in the 'Rock and Roll' period, he knew when to play a lot of notes (i.e. 'One to Sing the Blues') and hardly any (i.e. the flams in 'We Are The Road Crew'.)

G

Please note that my comment had nothing to do with Filthy's drumming. I was just making a comment. Yes, it's just a video, but it looks stupid. Again, just a comment. I never said he couldn't play or wasn't good. Just said I hated watching him in the video. Lemmy and Fast Eddie seemed to be playing the correct material on the song (even though it's JUST a video). Motorhead are legends, I have nothing but respect for that band.

Negative: Ever see the video to "Ace of Spades"? He doesn't even come close to playing it right. There are all these drum rolls and he's just pounding away on the snare. It's possible the video maker just dubbed the song over top of Motorhead playing something else, but it's a painful video to watch the drummer (though Lemmy and Eddie look good), but I dont like watching Phil in that video...and yes Motorhead rules.

That's not on Phil. That is just bad video editing.

There are hundreds and hundreds of music videos played on MTV where the video didn't line up with the drummer was doing. You'll hear a hi-hat, but the clip shows the drummer playing the ride, or as you pointed out, there is a fill that doesn't line up.

Most video editors aren't drummers. They can figure out how to line up the vocals to the singers jaw moving, they try to line up the drummer snare hits, but that's about it.

Heck, there is one Police video where the editor didn't even bother to line up Steward Copeland's 2 and 4 on the snare to the audio, and it looks incredibly lame.

Just like millions of pictures get posted in major publications with the photos reversed so the guitarist or drummer looks left handed. That one drives me nuts.

Hey some Phil Taylor fans.!

Phil isn`t a real flashy player,their`s no stick twiddling or big drum solos,he played as part of a band not a guest star.He fitted in perfectly with the straight a head rock sound of Motorhead and in my humble opinion is a great Rock drummer.

Overkill with his double bass is great as is the slower stuff like Jailbait and Iron Horse.

One of my favourite drummers of all time.

Such a distinctive sound, he really is easy to pick out. I just loved the way he brought out the phrasing in a song with his imaginitive fills. And the hi-hats! No-one sounds quite like Philthy on the hats, with his distinctive swing those hats were always moving.

It's just too bad he has done hardly anything since the glory days of Motorhead, but there's hope yet.

Ace of Spades, Iron Fist and Another Perfect Day - some of the best rock drumming I have ever heard. Used to air-drum to those so much. Philthy Animal is a huge inspiration to me.

Same here...air drum Back at the funny farm 20 times a day.He is one of the reasons i play drums.I met him back in 88 when Motorhead were in Greece for a gig,great guy too.

Philty grooved like no other metal drummer. Some great hihat barks, too. I still enjoy listening to the first 6 Motorhead albums mainly for his drumming. The song Iron Horse always has been one of my favorites for the drum groove.

Early 80s. The song Overkill. First time I heard that 16th note double bass drum playing. Arguably an innovator.

Early 80s. The song Overkill. First time I heard that 16th note double bass drum playing. Arguably an innovator.

What a great song! He bought another bass drum and turned up to the studio two hours earlier than fast eddie and lemmy to practice. They walked in on him playing the 16th note double bass drum groove and started to jam along and thats how overkill was born.

My introduction to Motorhead was the intro and "Ace of Spades" of off the "No Sleep.." LP. Talk about an eye-opener! Hooked for life. I loved that guy, and admire his playing for sure..

Back