Mapex Mars Crossover Kit vs Mapex Armory studioease with fast toms

Hoosierchef

Hello Drummers of Drummerworld Forum. I am new to the site and am needing opinions on these two kits. I know that I am going with mapex for my new kit however I cannot decide between the two and my local guitar center does not have either on the floor to test drive. I know the major differences between the two lines however I am having a hard time justifying the 200 dollar swing on the armory. What I am struggling with is the snare between the two kits, the armory snare trade in program, some of the hardware and such.

I am one of these drummers that doesn’t believe two much into the wood of the snare having that big of an effect on the sound. I know that different wood materials may offer slight differences in pitch but not that much and it’s all dependent on what heads you are using. Anyone out their have one of the kits and mind sharing their thoughts on one vs the other. Here are the current deals I have found on them.

Musicians Friend
Mars 5 peice shell pack with free 8x7 Tom
479.00 (Smokewood or Bloodwood Wrap)
Musicians Friend
Armory 6 peice studio ease with fast toms
699.00 (purple haze or dessert dune wrap)

Thank you guys and gals so much in advance!

Welcome to DW!

As an aid to those who may wish to help:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/dru...ce-shell-pack-with-free-8x7-tom#productDetail

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/dru...eries-6-piece-studioease-shell-pack-fast-toms

In my opinion, go with the Armory kit, without doubt or wavering. It's a much much better kit, I can assure you. Your extra $200 buys you much more than you expect:

- Birch/Maple shells. You are basically right about your opinion of the woods used, BUT . . . every company tends to pay much more attention to the quality of the more expensive shells. Better quality wood that is layered with much more care and expense that cheaper ones. The key here is QUALITY, not just the sound possibilities.

- Better hardware. Look at the differences in the lugs, legs, and suspension mounts. The Voyager kit is the minimum required to sell it. The Armory kit is pro level.

- Six pieces instead of five

- A beautiful finish

- Better snare, and a trade-in program, to-boot.

- All of this adds up to better EVERYTHING in the Armory kit. An extra $200 is chump change when you consider the increased quality and resell value.

To me, the choice is a no-brainer.

GeeDeeEmm
713178000002000-00-750x750.jpg

th

@gdmoore28, you know I think you are right. Thank you! Your response was incredibly insightful and I appreciate it!

I am big fan of Mapex. Go with the Armory if you afford it because it will be better in every way. Good luck. Peace and goodwill.

Looks are important! The Armory looks like a pro kit (though the design style and finishes aren't my taste). The Mars kit looks upper entry-level.

Back