If I fail as a drummer? I can...?

Liaztraht

Silver Member
Well, very recently, I have discovered that I have the potential of being (dare I say) a good death metal vocalist.
So if I fail as a drummer (meaning I just don't find a band that needs one) I can always go for growling into a microphone for fun.

I know a good majority of people aren't fond of death metal, but I would like some feed back on this if possible.
I got some feed back from one of my friends who is a vocalist, which is why I say I may have some potential.

This video is me on guitar as well. There are no lyrics, just gibberish that I made for fun xD
It was also recorded with a rockband mic... So its not as clear as I would like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB_qkbe_se8

Wow! Didn't expact that at all; I was expecting screams. That's some serious gutteral thing you've got going on. The question is if you can get the required volume and extreme vocal stamina required to get through a gig, but if you can I say go for it.

The tone reminds me of Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth, or a couple of the guys from the Norwegian black metal scene. Good job!

Wow! Didn't expact that at all; I was expecting screams. That's some serious gutteral thing you've got going on. The question is if you can get the required volume and extreme vocal stamina required to get through a gig, but if you can I say go for it.

The tone reminds me of Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth, or a couple of the guys from the Norwegian black metal scene. Good job!

Well screaming is not deathmetal. at least it never used to be.
I had to turn the volume on the mic down because it was too bass heavy, and kept distorting, and thus had to pretty much eat the thing to get noise through.
This was also after 20 attempts at trying to put some higher vocals in, so i was already worn out.

I plan to practice quite a bit, so that i can growl for decently long sets.

And thank you for the feed back :D

Also, i was trying to go for some early Decapitated (Winds of Creation album)/Cannibal Corpse (when Chris Barnes was still with them)

Also, i was trying to go for some early Decapitated (Winds of Creation album)/Cannibal Corpse (when Chris Barnes was still with them)

Yeah, I'm not much of a death metal guy, so I can't comment on that. I enjoy some of the more melodic or progressive death metal bands (Opeth, In Flames, Children Of Bodom, etc), but I suspect that anyone who's more into the genre would label them something else entirely :)

Also, being from Norway it's hard to avoid hearing black metal from time to time :)

I'm more of a black metal guy myself, but i enjoy all music equally, other than country rap and pop.
Opeth is also a top favorite in the way of bands.

Though my favorite would have to be Wodensthrone. A more melodic, but still a bit wall of sound, black metal band.

I prefer the melodic stuff, but i can't play it very well. Even if i could, plain old death metal would still be more "fun" to play, in my opinion.

I would say even if you are successful at drumming you might want to continue down other avenues that interest you. In the big picture music world, the more you can do, the better your chances to remain doing something musical, rather than have a completely different outside job and then your music. I know a guy who started out as a drummer, but now he's one of the better early-Elvis impersonators I've ever seen, he and his band work about 250 gigs a year. Not a bad drummer, either.

As my wife would tell you, I have way too many hobbies:

drumming
biking
model railroading
gym rat
website design
singing
auto racing
camping
etc

If I stopped drumming, I think I'd go on an international karaoke tour.

Back