Remo Powerstroke 3 or 4 (Snare)

D2 Drummer

Hi drummers,

I'm in the process of purchasing a new batter head for my 14"x6" Yamaha Maple Tour Custom Snare. I've been using Evans Genera Dry for almost a year & I'm starting to get bored of the sound. I'm looking for a sound that is warm, focused, and with a light feel. Also i want a little bit of tone from my snare, but not too much, where more than one moon gels will be needed to tame it down.

So, I'm a big fan of Remo drum heads, because i like their sound, feel, and the way they hug my drums. I'm looking at Remo Powerstroke 3 and 4. Does anyone have experience with these on snares?

Recently I have gone through a bunch of Remo heads to get the sound I am after on my Phosphor Bronze snares.
I have tried:
1. The stock Ambassador coated. Very nice feel, but way too many overtones and very ringy.
2. Ambassador X. Still a good feel but still too many overtones for me
3. Powerstroke X with top center dot. Similar to the Ambassador X but with a better feel. Close to what I am looking for.
4. Powerstroke 3 coated without out top center dot. Perfect. Nice feel, but very little overtones or ringing. Snare sounds nice and clean.

Recently I have gone through a bunch of Remo heads to get the sound I am after on my Phosphor Bronze snares.
I have tried:
1. The stock Ambassador coated. Very nice feel, but way too many overtones and very ringy.
3. Powerstroke X with top center dot. Similar to the Ambassador X but with a better feel. Close to what I am looking for.
4. Powerstroke 3 coated without out top center dot. Perfect. Nice feel, but very little overtones or ringing. Snare sounds nice and clean.

Thanks, this is very helpful. I was thinking now that i use a Powerstroke 4 on my bass drum, i get a nice deep and focused low sound. Using the same head with on my snare, might over dampen the sound, because the dampen ring is bigger. At least with a Powerstroke 3, it's one pile which means you get a bit of everything

If warmth and toned down overtones is the goal, maybe a fibreskin could be the answer. Although for snare they dont have the longevity. I just dug out an emperor X and put it on my 4 1/2 hammered bronze snare, it is tight and a little more deep than standard coated black dot.

fibreskin could work, though i have never tried them on my snare

Thanks, this is very helpful. I was thinking now that i use a Powerstroke 4 on my bass drum, i get a nice deep and focused low sound. Using the same head with on my snare, might over dampen the sound, because the dampen ring is bigger. At least with a Powerstroke 3, it's one pile which means you get a bit of everything
I have a powerstroke 3 on my bass and love it. Nice and clear, not boomy, and my bass is a 22 x 20.

It is something stupid but I really love the look of the Powerstroke 3 head on the snare because it has those 2 black rings around the outside, 1 inch in from the hoop. It looks great with my Black hardware. :)

I just put a PS3 coated on my yamaha steel snare and I really like the tone it's giving! I usually run ambassodors on my snares but didn't like the way they sounded on this particular one. The PS3 was a good solution.

how about a power center reverse dot?

F

I just put a PS3 coated on my yamaha steel snare and I really like the tone it's giving! I usually run ambassodors on my snares but didn't like the way they sounded on this particular one. The PS3 was a good solution.

I guess PS3 would be the way to go

I have a powerstroke 3 on my bass and love it. Nice and clear, not boomy, and my bass is a 22 x 20.

It is something stupid but I really love the look of the Powerstroke 3 head on the snare because it has those 2 black rings around the outside, 1 inch in from the hoop. It looks great with my Black hardware. :)

It's not stupid because i know what you mean. I saw a demo of the head and i liked the design of the black rings too.

I have tried:

could you post a link to the exact powerstroke head your referring to? I seem to find everything else besides that, Thanks

I would suggest a powerstroke 4, or a CS reverse dot. The CS seems to be more what you are looking for

I really like the Remo CS Reverse Dots on metal drums. I've used the Evans Reverse Power Center and like it as well

...i hated the feel on the center, it was like hitting a book

I don't think the OP would like the CS Dot if he didn't care for the Evans version. IIRC, the Remo has a slightly thicker dot.

Jim

Back