Church band?

So, I am planning on asking my churches life teen band if they would be able to use me as there drummer so that I could be able to get the practice for gigs in my future band. Is this a good idea, and if so, how should I ask?

So, I am planning on asking my churches life teen band if they would be able to use me as there drummer so that I could be able to get the practice for gigs in my future band. Is this a good idea, and if so, how should I ask?

The question I have to ask is do you have a passion in your heart to play Christian/worship music and facilitate leading worship or are you looking at this just for practice to play with a future band?

I've been playing for my church for 10 years and it's a passion for me.

I play for my church when I can. It is a good experience. Just don't have that be the only reason you go to church.

The question I have to ask is do you have a passion in your heart to play Christian/worship music and facilitate leading worship or are you looking at this just for practice to play with a future band?

I've been playing for my church for 10 years and it's a passion for me.

I mean I do play some Christian rock already l, a little creed and a few third day albums. But the music at church is not creed, third day an easy band, and that is what kind of music is played. It would be a way for me to do something for my church. Hopefully get some of my friends to come and learn the message of god. So yeah, i think it is passion!

I mean I do play some Christian rock already l, a little creed and a few third day albums. But the music at church is not creed, third day an easy band, and that is what kind of music is played. It would be a way for me to do something for my church. Hopefully get some of my friends to come and learn the message of god. So yeah, i think it is passion!

Most church music isn't going to be creed, pillar, POD,disciple or the like. However there is some really good and fun worship music to play. Hillsong has a ton of stuff that a ton of churches do, Kristian Stanfill, Steve Fee and the list goes on. Lot;s of stuff that can really teach you a lot musically.

When I started playing for my church I wasn't playing ANY christian music at all. The great thing is I wanted to serve and use the gift I was blessed with to play and hopefully help touch someones life and bring them closer to Christ. I started learning the music and really enjoying it.

As long as you aren't looking at it as just a practice for other gigs then I say go for it. It's always a good thing to be able to do something for your church that can help reach others and to use a gift that God has blessed you with is even better!

How should you ask? It's really simple, approach the worship leader and say "Hi my name is ____________ I'm a drummer and have been attending this church for ______years. I was wondering if we could schedule a time to sit down and talk about any possible opportunities there are for me to possibly join or play in the worship band." It's really that easy. I know most churches are always looking for players. Now they may only have an opportunity for you to be a fill in when they need it but hey it's a start and might lead to being on a regular rotation.

Most church music isn't going to be creed, pillar, POD,disciple or the like. However there is some really good and fun worship music to play. Hillsong has a ton of stuff that a ton of churches do, Kristian Stanfill, Steve Fee and the list goes on. Lot;s of stuff that can really teach you a lot musically.

When I started playing for my church I wasn't playing ANY christian music at all. The great thing is I wanted to serve and use the gift I was blessed with to play and hopefully help touch someones life and bring them closer to Christ. I started learning the music and really enjoying it.

As long as you aren't looking at it as just a practice for other gigs then I say go for it. It's always a good thing to be able to do something for your church that can help reach others and to use a gift that God has blessed you with is even better!

How should you ask? It's really simple, approach the worship leader and say "Hi my name is ____________ I'm a drummer and have been attending this church for ______years. I was wondering if we could schedule a time to sit down and talk about any possible opportunities there are for me to possibly join or play in the worship band." It's really that easy. I know most churches are always looking for players. Now they may only have an opportunity for you to be a fill in when they need it but hey it's a start and might lead to being on a regular rotation.

Well... I basically asked like that after church today...

In my fifty some years of playing, the church type venue is probably the only one that I never played.

Dennis

I've been playing for various churches for about 8 yrs, and its great. But it is a bit different than playing a normal gig.

Some tips:
Remember the music isn't about you. Your there to serve.
Very few congregations want to have their pants rocked off (I've seen one).
If they tell you your too loud just sigh and play a little quieter.
Wind chimes are KEY to worship music.

How to ask?

Just say you are interested in playing in the band and could they use you? Don't mention you are doing it to practice for another band.

I never look at worship as a rehearsal for anything else, but you WILL learn tons of things that will be key for later, such as fitting in with new bandmembers on the fly, learning songs quickly, learning to play for the song, learning to lead a band in, and keeping good time.

Any time you're playing with other people, you SHOULD be learning.... right? If you get to worship God at the same time... sounds like a win-win to me!

Make sure you know the how the drums fit into the church's service. On my first audtion with our current church, I layed low and and played a bit relaxed. Afterwards, the worship leader informed me that the drums are the driving force and need to be smashed and thrashed. That really surprised me, as the other drummers were pretty laid back and NEVER executed any aggressive grooves or rolls.

I think it's an excellent gift of your talents that you can share with others. It's gotta be more than practice for your next band. Especially if teens and worship leaders rely on you.

I've been playing for various churches for about 8 yrs, and its great. But it is a bit different than playing a normal gig.

Some tips:
Very few congregations want to have their pants rocked off (I've seen one).
If they tell you your too loud just sigh and play a little quieter.
Wind chimes are KEY to worship music.

No wonder they never ask me back. I don't have wind chimes! Dang it!

No wonder they never ask me back. I don't have wind chimes! Dang it!

One of my first purchases when I got into worship music. Dude! Didn't you get the memo?

playing in a worship band was memorable for me, and i recommend it highly. btw, i made it ten years without windchimes. lol. it taught me how to play with intensity and passion- quietly.

Some tips:

Our church band and their spouses just got together the other night for dinner, and this was exactly the topic of discussion. One of our members left for about six months to pursue a different career, but now he's back and wants to play again. But he's treating this like it is all about him, and it isn't. I've been playing worship music for 20 years now, and if you ever make it about yourself, then you are in the wrong place. Worship is all about God, not about the congregation or the musicians or the minister.

That being said, playing at church has been the most rewarding experience of my drumming career. I do enjoy playing in bands outside of church, but those times don't have as much of a sense of purpose.

I have been going to church every Sunday for the past five years. I think I can call myself a devoted Christian:)

Trying..... not.... to...... but.... can't.................

I'ma just say what everyone's thinking when they hear that... Going to church every Sunday for a life time doesn't make you a Christian any more than Me doing backflips makes me a gymnast... No offence at all, serious, but it is soooooo seriously overlooked. I've warmed this seat for ages. Must be the gahlooorwrhey! (I'm not judging! seriously not, I'm just hoping that's not where you rest your case is all. No judging. At all. None. Just saying. not being mean. Just being clear... I know how that COULD be taken. but don't. High five.)

Everyone's already said it KIND of, but I'll just be blatant. If Christ isn't the central focus of all things musical for you, make Him, move from there. (And There's no way I speak as a judge, I used to play in church and show off my technical ability and wow was I awesome and then all of a sudden, oh, all my motive, it's all me, and here I was worshipping 'Me'sus...)

So far as playing at church, bro go for it. If the church is strong and you're not, it'll be great to open you up to some grace. If you're strong and the church isn't, great opportunity to give some Jesus away.

If neither of you are, well pray. If both of you are, praise dah LAHWD :)

We can get all religious and say there should only be hard out Christians on worship, and then I'll tell you a story about a guy planting a church who hired non Chrisso's to play because they had no one and they basically had revival, or we can be too lax, let anyone in and I'm sure we all have been in situations where everything feels damp because there's way too much world and not enough Him.

Answer=

Pray and do. Don't become too introspective, that's the Holy Spirit's job... He'll tell you if you're being naughty or nice.

And yeah after reading all of what's gone before I realize I kind of missed the jump. But I guess it's still central. So high five.

WIND CHIMES!!!

Haven't you read in the Bible where it says the Holy Spirit doesn't come into the room until the chimes are played? Gosh. I love cheesing out on them... Especially if you play a super cheesy song. You know when the whole team is oldies who PLAY like they're oldies? Yeah that.

Also, one more thing... don't be scared to try things. I take my double kick to church, I play bits completely different to how they're planned, but only if I'm led... If someone tells you that you're too loud, it doesn't mean you are... ask other people what they thought, and just rest. In grace.

High five.

Trying..... not.... to...... but.... can't.................

I'ma just say what everyone's thinking when they hear that... Going to church every Sunday for a life time doesn't make you a Christian any more than Me doing backflips makes me a gymnast... No offence at all, serious, but it is soooooo seriously overlooked. I've warmed this seat for ages. Must be the gahlooorwrhey! (I'm not judging! seriously not, I'm just hoping that's not where you rest your case is all. No judging. At all. None. Just saying. not being mean. Just being clear... I know how that COULD be taken. but don't. High five.)

Everyone's already said it KIND of, but I'll just be blatant. If Christ isn't the central focus of all things musical for you, make Him, move from there. (And There's no way I speak as a judge, I used to play in church and show off my technical ability and wow was I awesome and then all of a sudden, oh, all my motive, it's all me, and here I was worshipping 'Me'sus...)

So far as playing at church, bro go for it. If the church is strong and you're not, it'll be great to open you up to some grace. If you're strong and the church isn't, great opportunity to give some Jesus away.

If neither of you are, well pray. If both of you are, praise dah LAHWD :)

We can get all religious and say there should only be hard out Christians on worship, and then I'll tell you a story about a guy planting a church who hired non Chrisso's to play because they had no one and they basically had revival, or we can be too lax, let anyone in and I'm sure we all have been in situations where everything feels damp because there's way too much world and not enough Him.

Answer=

Pray and do. Don't become too introspective, that's the Holy Spirit's job... He'll tell you if you're being naughty or nice.

And yeah after reading all of what's gone before I realize I kind of missed the jump. But I guess it's still central. So high five.

WIND CHIMES!!!

Haven't you read in the Bible where it says the Holy Spirit doesn't come into the room until the chimes are played? Gosh. I love cheesing out on them... Especially if you play a super cheesy song. You know when the whole team is oldies who PLAY like they're oldies? Yeah that.

Also, one more thing... don't be scared to try things. I take my double kick to church, I play bits completely different to how they're planned, but only if I'm led... If someone tells you that you're too loud, it doesn't mean you are... ask other people what they thought, and just rest. In grace.

High five.
Thank you very much for that insight:) I mean, I already knew it wasn't all about me, so that wasn't a problem. But, they use an electric kit, so no extra stuff like chimes for me I guess. This has helped me a lot though.

Back