Replacing springs on pedals

MadJazz

Silver Member
How long do you do with your kick pedal before replacing the springs?

I have my tama iron cobra for around five years and think the spring is losing power. Either that or my feet are changing. It's fully tightened up, whereas earlier I used only half the tension, so it might be time to replace it.

However, I wanna be sure I don't end up with a worse product after replacing the spring. What should I watch out for when buying a new spring? I'm not eager to pay € 20 for an original tama spring though.

Btw, do you leave the spring off the pedal after each playing session?

I think you're way over due.About every couple of years,maybe three.Over time,the springs will fatigue.Bring your old springs to a Tama dealer.Make sure you get the ones for the IC.I think they're a little longer than the standard spring.The reason being, so you can pop them off so they fit in the case.

Since they are expansion springs, if you take the pressure off and the coils completely close, I'm not sure if it needs replacing. I may be wrong.
And as far as leaving the spring off there is no need. It is relaxed all the way as long as your foot is off of it unless your beater weighs about 5 pounds.
The old Ludwig Speed Kings had compression springs in the two side columns. They compress when you push down and relax in an extended fashion.

Since they are expansion springs, if you take the pressure off and the coils completely close, I'm not sure if it needs replacing. I may be wrong.
And as far as leaving the spring off there is no need. It is relaxed all the way as long as your foot is off of it unless your beater weighs about 5 pounds.
The old Ludwig Speed Kings had compression springs in the two side columns. They compress when you push down and relax in an extended fashion.

I think springs are pretty long-lived. I have never heard of a spring wearing out. I would just take the pedal and spring to a hardware store and rummage around for a suitable replacement.

Back