Two Drummers, One Band

Fuzrock

Silver Member
Last night I was flipping through channels on TV and landed on Palladia (as I often do) and found Joe Bonamassa at Royal Albert Hall in London! playing. He has two drummers, Anton Fig and Bogie Bowles. Everyone knows Anton but I’d never heard of Bogie before. Anyway, I was watching this thing and I kept asking myself, “What’s the point of having two drummers?” I really enjoyed the show and they seemed to spotlight the two drummers. Through most of it, they appear to be playing pretty much the same thing, though. I know this isn’t the first time it’s been done. Other bands have done it like Grateful Dead, King Crimson, Ringo’s All Star Band, Genesis, Allman Brothers, and the list goes on. Here’s a clip I found from the show I saw last night.
http://www.vicfirth.com/artists/video/bogie_bowles/JB_got_paidHQ.html
I was just curious what you all think about the two drummer thing.

Anyway, I was watching this thing and I kept asking myself, “What’s the point of having two drummers?” I was just curious what you all think about the two drummer thing.

Me too; I just don't get it. However, a drummer and a percussionist can be a fine thing.

GJS

Two drummers makes for a fatter, richer sound. There are also more polyrhythmic and tonal possibilities - and it looks cool :)

Skulmoski, agree re: drummer and a percussionist. Love playing with a good percussionist.

I like it if they complement each other but if they're both playing the same groove,beat,etc.
why bother.

"Spacetruckin" by Deep Purple would be cool with two drummers especially at the end of the tune.

also "Bonzo's Montreux" would be cool with two drummers since there's tympani's tracked over Bonham's great groove in that tune along with the other electronic effects he tracked in.

but i've seen 38 Special do "Hold on Loosely" with two drummers and it was boring IMHO.

Bonzolead

I totally subscribe to the multi drummer thing, but only to gain certain effects. You either use each player to generate something totally different that comes together in a way that one drummer couldn't possibly achieve, or, you have two or more drummers playing the same thing to get an organic meaty sound that delays/EQ can't replicate.

Try this example of Kim Mitchell live. Three drummers!!! Yes, three. Listen to the effect (cans or nice sound system). Live, it's awesome. This track originally performed by Rush & Max Webster (Kim Mitchell). I love this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtDmZob6bGs

Certainly a prime candidate for the newest pointless social group on DW, PRIMEVAL TUB THUMPERS!

never was a fan of the two drummer thing except for the Allman Bros. for some reason? JMO but to my ear it seemed the Allman Bros seemed to "work very well"....JMO

Sorry, but I avoid anything on the internet titled "Two <X>, one <Y>" :)

I thought someone might get that reference. You sicko! ;-)

Me too; I just don't get it. However, a drummer and a percussionist can be a fine thing.

GJS

I totally agree.

Two drummers makes for a fatter, richer sound. There are also more polyrhythmic and tonal possibilities - and it looks cool :)

Skulmoski, agree re: drummer and a percussionist. Love playing with a good percussionist.

I get that but I didn't see any poly-rhythms going on here. As for fatter, richer sound, I thought that was what compression was for.

I get that but I didn't see any poly-rhythms going on here. As for fatter, richer sound, I thought that was what compression was for.

Still not quite the same, Fuz, just as a doubler doesn't sound the same as two singers. Each players' feel will always be a bit different.

I'd rather play with a percussionist than another drummer, personally, but I can see the attraction for certain bands during a stage of their evolution. It worked nicely for King Crimson for a while.

I actually played in a 2-drummer gig for a couple years, it was simultaneously fun and frustrating. The other guy played primarily simple beats and basically acted as a metronome; I played color fills and a lot of polyrhythmic stuff and on some songs exclusively percussion. It was a jam band that played originals and a lot of Dead, Allmans, Phish, Widespread Panic, etc. so it fit the milieu, but it was definitely a balancing act.

Llittle Feat's percussionist, Sam Clayton had/has a small kit that he'd play every once in a while, adding depth when it was nice, but not constantly..

2 drummers: Oh Atlanta - Awesome song

Even if you don't like their style, Little Feat was a band of Monsters, From Bill Payne, to Richie Hayward and of course Lowell George.

Still not quite the same, Fuz, just as a doubler doesn't sound the same as two singers. Each players' feel will always be a bit different.

I'd rather play with a percussionist than another drummer, personally, but I can see the attraction for certain bands during a stage of their evolution. It worked nicely for King Crimson for a while.

That makes sense.

Noooooooo, guys, put this through some cans & really listen! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtDmZob6bGs

I'll try the headphones when I get home.

I actually played in a 2-drummer gig for a couple years, it was simultaneously fun and frustrating. The other guy played primarily simple beats and basically acted as a metronome; I played color fills and a lot of polyrhythmic stuff and on some songs exclusively percussion. It was a jam band that played originals and a lot of Dead, Allmans, Phish, Widespread Panic, etc. so it fit the milieu, but it was definitely a balancing act.

I can imagine that would be a balancing act. If I were the guy just playing color fills and poly-rhythmic stuff, I'd be afraid of overplaying. I would be more comfortable as the time keeper I think.

Fuzrock---I have that episode of Bonamassa DVR'd and it has to be one of the finest shows released on Palladia. When Clapton dropped in it just kicked it up to another level of greatness. Two drummers though? Not really needed for that band I don't think as either one of them was superb alone. Two drummers DID work for the Allman Brothers as they approached each number from a different point of view. Don't forget the Doobie Brothers either. Great stuff there.

Fuzrock---I have that episode of Bonamassa DVR'd and it has to be one of the finest shows released on Palladia. When Clapton dropped in it just kicked it up to another level of greatness. Two drummers though? Not really needed for that band I don't think as either one of them was superb alone. Two drummers DID work for the Allman Brothers as they approached each number from a different point of view. Don't forget the Doobie Brothers either. Great stuff there.

You're right. I really enjoyed this show and when Clapton came out, that was really cool. It's always cool when they bring out the "even more famous" peers. I think Bonamassa is an extraordinary guitar player. I'm even starting to see the benefit of having two drummers on stage. This particular show just didn't need it. Either drummer would have carried the performance by themselves just fine. I've always loved Anton Fig (a fellow Yamaha guy), so I would have picked him.

Llittle Feat's percussionist, Sam Clayton had/has a small kit that he'd play every once in a while, adding depth when it was nice, but not constantly..

2 drummers: Oh Atlanta - Awesome song

Even if you don't like their style, Little Feat was a band of Monsters, From Bill Payne, to Richie Hayward and of course Lowell George.

I have been listening to Waiting For Columbus recently and it brings such joy to me. After 32 years of listening to this band, I still marvel at their artistry. Its music is still fresh to me. Thanks for the grooves Richie and I hope this weekend is a good one for you.

GJS

I have yet to hear a need for more than one 'drumset' drummer in a song.

I bet most situations arise from a business/interpersonal need.

One thing I do notice is that you can hear an individual drummers ego(or lack there of) far more readily when there is more than one 'drumset' drummer playing -in how space is/isnt left open for the other player.

Last night I was flipping through channels on TV and landed on Palladia (as I often do) and found Joe Bonamassa at Royal Albert Hall in London! playing. He has two drummers, Anton Fig and Bogie Bowles. Everyone knows Anton but I&#8217;d never heard of Bogie before.

Bogie got started professionally while attending UNC in a band called Knocked Down Smilin'. Great band, I have both their CD's. I used to talk shop with him after many of their shows in Greenville NC. Nice guy. He moved to LA after that band dissolved.

I don't get the double drummer thing either if both guys are just playing the same groove. It'd be the same as two guitarists playing the same rhythm part. Thicker sound, yes. (Could also be done by one guitarist using a stereo rig.) Interesting, no.

it works for the right thing. if you are doing some sort of tribal type of thing it can be real cool because you work with actual arrangement stuff (or just a regular arrangement thing such as the black page). but if it's just like rock i wouldn't say it's completly necessary but there are numerous examples of it working out well for specific groups

Bogie got started professionally while attending UNC in a band called Knocked Down Smilin'. Great band, I have both their CD's. I used to talk shop with him after many of their shows in Greenville NC. Nice guy. He moved to LA after that band dissolved.

I don't get the double drummer thing either if both guys are just playing the same groove. It'd be the same as two guitarists playing the same rhythm part. Thicker sound, yes. (Could also be done by one guitarist using a stereo rig.) Interesting, no.

as primarily a guitarist, i have to disagree with that. sure, you sound fuller if you use a stereo rig, but two guitarists is a very different subject all on it's own, especially when you consider EQ and tonal differences, let alone harmonies. for ex., iron maiden would NOT be the same band.

Back