Rock Star for a NIght

Excellent half hour radio doc about the night when Scot Halpin got up out of the crowd to play drums with the Who, due to Keith Moon being incapacitated:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01p2vtl

Regardless of whether you like the Who, or Moon's drumming, it's a great story and well put together.

Thanks so much for that post! Keith is probably my foremost idol as a drummer and The Who have always been my favorite band. I read the autobiography "Full Moon" and there were still a few things I learned that were not in that book. It was very cool to hear the stories "first hand" as oppose to only reading about them. I contribute The Who's music as being one of my main influences in life that inspired me to even want to play an instrument. .....Great post!!!.....

Thanks so much for that post! Keith is probably my foremost idol as a drummer and The Who have always been my favorite band. I read the autobiography "Full Moon" and there were still a few things I learned that were not in that book. It was very cool to hear the stories "first hand" as oppose to only reading about them. I contribute The Who's music as being one of my main influences in life that inspired me to even want to play an instrument. .....Great post!!!.....

The Who have always been one of my favourite bands, since I was teenager. Now that I play a little drums I don't think I'd want to emulate Moon's playing, but I can't image what the Who would have sounded like without him. He was the perfect 'orchestrator' of their music.

I'm currently reading "Truth...Rod Stewart, Ron Wood and the Jeff Beck Group" by Dave Thompson. Moon gets mentioned here and there. I never realised how influenced he was by Pretty Things drummer Viv Prince. Seems like Prince was the original "wild man of drums" (at least here in the UK).

Anyway, glad you enjoyed the documentary.

..........yeah, I still have my boot leg album of this Cow Palace show, that I picked up at an old record store back in 1987. (vinyl album)... Scott played rather well and I always wondered if they ever contacted him after Keith died to give him a chance at "filling his shoes" once again, before they went with Kenny Jones..... oh, and actually, you have heard The Who without Keith, aka Kenny Jones. Kenny is good, but DEFINITELY not Keith and unavoidably changed their sound and playing approach since......BTW, if you're unaware, Keith recorded "Beck's Bolero" with Jeff Beck.... Just listening to the song, you know it's definitely classic Keith!!

Side note though, over my years of seeing The Who live, I'd have to say that when I saw them live in 2001, John's last tour, they sounded raw and powerful. It was just the four of them (after they had back up people like Simon Townshend) and Zack Starky did a great job too. It was the closest I'd ever get to see them perform live which would resemble what they were like in the early 70's......Pete got into the moment so much, that he started physically banging on the guitar with his fists during a few of the songs!! Everyone kept yelling "Smash it!! Smash it!!" The atmosphere was so surreal!!

oh, and actually, you have heard The Who without Keith, aka Kenny Jones. Kenny is good, but DEFINITELY not Keith and unavoidably changed their sound and playing approach since......BTW, if you're unaware, Keith recorded "Beck's Bolero" with Jeff Beck.... Just listening to the song, you know it's definitely classic Keith!!

I saw the Who's 'farewell' tour in the early '80s, when Jones was drumming. Great gig, they all had loads of energy. In a recent Who documentary there were some grumbles about Jones' drumming. I think it was Daltrey who said that it was solid, but just not explosive (in the way that Moon's drumming was). Smiles all round with Zack, however. He really seems to suit the band.

Yes, I did know about Beck's Bolero (hence Moon's mention in the book about the Truth album).

..........yeah, I still have my boot leg album of this Cow Palace show, that I picked up at an old record store back in 1987. (vinyl album)

Ah, the old bootleg album. Made by some fly by night company, a crude album cover design. Lookout here come the cops...hide it!!

That's one aspect of the music buying, collecting expererience that has been lost since the unfortunate rise in digital, mp3,etc., blah blah I-need-it-now technology. :)

Back