axis or pearl demon drive??

efi_drums

hi guys my english language is not very good sorry about that
i want to buy twin pedal but i dont know axis good or demon drive??i want to play speedy patterns and i dont know buy wich pedal is better help me about that thank you :)

Try them each at your local shop. Or buy one if it has a warranty, go home and try them out and then bring it back and exchange it for the other one and see which one you like the best

If you play patterns you should get a chain driven pedal, not a direct drive.

I bought demon drives and after 2 years I realize it doesn't suit what I do (patterns). I can jump on a chain driven pedal that I've never used before, play much better and enjoy it much more. You don't get enough feel or feedback from DD in my opinion.

Now I have to modify/sell my pedal.

If you play patterns you should get a chain driven pedal, not a direct drive.

I bought demon drives and after 2 years I realize it doesn't suit what I do (patterns). I can jump on a chain driven pedal that I've never used before, play much better and enjoy it much more. You don't get enough feel or feedback from DD in my opinion.

Now I have to modify/sell my pedal.

No offense but I have to disagree with you here…this may be the case for you, but not everyone…I actually prefer the DD's over chain (wasn't always the case though) ..yes DD's are less forgiving, but once you learn how to use them correctly and get them adjusted (at least for me) patterns are not as hard to play IMO..but pedals are definitely somewhat subjective..:)

Regarding the original question, they're both fine pedals, I do believe the Axis is better made, as they use machined aluminum as opposed to cast aluminum…but ultimately you should put your feet on both if possible to make your final decision...

None taken but I'm going to have to disagree right back.

I don't know what patterns you play but I get into Virgil Donati's book (he ditched the DD's too by the way). I'm not suggesting I'm a better db player than you but I just want you to know that I'm not some metal guy/weekend warrior, I do get into some focused double bass practice that puts the dd's through their paces.

The problem with playing patterns on these things is that it's harder to negotiate a change in speed. When coming out of a fast roll into a slower roll e.g 32nd to 16th notes or between 8th to triplets for example, I find the foot board prefers to stay with the beater rather than with the foot, and the first hit of the new notes can sometimes be a dud.

I guess being direct drive the footboard has a stronger relationship with the beater than does with your foot, they're inseparable. It does stay with your foot but when it comes to the crunch the beater will always win that battle and then you've got a less than perfect bass drum note. I think chain are the opposite - chain has some play and therefore foot board has stronger relationship with your foot.

I've put the work in and I can still do everything with DD's but I find I can jump on any chain pedal and get so much more power AND finesse. So after 2 years playing the thing, I ask: why use something that's harder to use and easier to make mistakes?

They're definitely good training wheels but I think direct drive is quite possibly a fad and chain pedals will be around long after they're gone.

I say demon drives for a few reasons. 1 you can get a heavy or light feel from them. Therr are bearings in the hinge of the heel plate. The duo board is aldo a nice feature. But as everyone says try them out.

They're definitely good training wheels but I think direct drive is quite possibly a fad and chain pedals will be around long after they're gone.

The first truely workable bass drum pedal, the Ludwig Speedking, is a direct drive pedal. It's still around today and pre-dates any of the modern chain driven pedals. I don't think direct drives are going anywhere in a hurry.

That said, I agree that direct drives offer a specific feel. They are not for everybody and the only way to know for sure is to get your feet on them.

The first truely workable bass drum pedal, the Ludwig Speedking, is a direct drive pedal. It's still around today and pre-dates any of the modern chain driven pedals. I don't think direct drives are going anywhere in a hurry.

That said, I agree that direct drives offer a specific feel. They are not for everybody and the only way to know for sure is to get your feet on them.

Yep!... I believe DD's have been around longer than chain drives...again it does come down to individual preference...I've played both chain and direct drive (chain probably longer)... Just prefer DD's..

Last edited:
Back