Magstar Drums

2bsticks

Platinum Member
Hi All,
I just grabbed a 3 piece Magstar kit off eBay. 20x18, 12x9, 16x14 w/legs. All maple Keller shells. Any of you have experience with these kits? I read nothing but positive feedback on these drums. I know that Rob Kampa was the Magstar guy who has moved onto Nashville from New England.

I will be adding a Yamaha tom mount and bass drum mount.

Any comments or feedback as always is appreciated.

2b

Attachments

• magstar kit.jpg
    magstar kit.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,882
A friend of mine tours with a Magstar kit that he's had for years. It's a great sounding kit; built really well too.

You should be really happy with them.

I love Magstar drums! I own one of Rob's personal kits and also own 6 of his snares! His bearing edges and attention to detail are top notch. I would recommend him highly as I don't know of any other custom drum maker that asks you want sound you're looking for and delivers a product that matches it exactly. I'm sure you will love those drums. I believe that kit you purchased had 3 "extra" holes drilled in it at some point in time.

Enough words - on to some pictures of my Magstar kit.

Attachments

• Mag 1.jpg
    Mag 1.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 1,633
  • Mag 2.jpg
    Mag 2.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,635
  • Mag 3.jpg
    Mag 3.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,665
  • Mag 4.jpg
    Mag 4.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 1,701
Thanks for the feedback, yes re: extra holes on the small tom, I guess a tom mount was on there at one time? I have a local guy here who does great work and I'm going to have him put a Yamaha yess mount on the tom so I'm sure he can us at least one of the holes and maybe fill the others? Not to concerned.

Glad to see and hear four feedback, makes me feel good :)

Great looking kit too, is that red satin swirl?

Yes, it's called red satin flame. Nice looking kit - you'll love that 20" kick! Rob does use Keller shells like a lot of other custom companies out there. However, his bearing edges and workmanship translate into a certain mojo that comes across in their sound. Few people realize that Rob/Magstar was one of the first custom drum makers. He's been doing this for over two decades and his bearing edges are based on as much science as it is on experience. Can you tell I'm a fan?

Very nice looking drums, & keller shells with good care & attention can sound great, certainly as good as almost any of the major company ply offerings. I like it when builders really dig into their client's sonic requirements too, & take time to work things through. Something more builders should concentrate on, rather than the common aesthetic priority default. Loving the flame finish :)

I played some Magstars when Rob was still up in Mass...

His drums were getting a lot of press in Modern Bummer as affordable, but great sounding boutique drums. I have a snare that a friend wants (we just spoke on the phone yesterday about me sending it out to him). I don't want to sell it, but maybe I'll lend it for a long time so I'll have the option to get it back! Anyway, this snare is a favorite of an artist that I play with, and he'd like to have it for recording. I had the drum made in '97 and it was sort of a signature type drum for Rob at the time. I actually didn't want to go crazy with the custom thing, but rather have him build up a drum that he thought would sound great. I ended up with a 6x13 10-ply Maple in Orange Shellac. That was a nice finish that he came up with, and I had him put his cool looking tube lugs on, and a block-style Tama throw. It's a really funky sounding drum - loud - big, wide sound and nice sensitivity...

I also had him build up a kit, after I had been playing the snare for a little while. The kit ended up being 16x18, 8x12 and 14x14 - Maple shells in natural maple finish. A cool little kit that I got a lot of compliments on... Rob was great to deal with, not sure what he's up to now...

Rob Kampa has been working as the craftsman for Drum Supply House USA (aka DrumMaker.com) in their custom shop since 2005. Although he works for Andy Foote, he is still making snares and kits.

I read a review in MD where he submitted drums he made for customers along with the customers sonic/cost/cosmetic requirements and he did a wide variety of builds,I think he makes drums for players more than ego/ I have played a couple of his snares and they were great,and priced very reasonably.

A few years ago some of his drums were being sold in the Marietta Sam Ash,new,kits and snares.

Well the drums arrived today. I am very impressed with the quality of the kit. Very nice hardware. They used DW floor tom legs and mounts. Bearing edges nice and smooth. I replaced the batter heads with some gently used Evans G2 clears and I put a fairly new SK1 on the kick batter. Drums tuned up pretty easy. I will put some brand new Remo clear emperors on the toms, not sure about the kick yet. The SK1 sounds pretty damn good. I also put on a Gibraltar drum lift on the bass. Bass sits a couple of inches off the floor and the beater hits in the center of the head.

The bass drum is virgin but I like the Yamaha yess mounting system so I am going to have the bass drilled so I can have the tom mounted to it. Don't like the tom on a snare stand or hanging off a cymbal stand. Can't see it having that much of an effect on the overall sound? Does not seem to bother Dave Weckl too much!

That red satin swirl kit looks fun to play... I used my Magstar red sparkle snare drum for a jazzy jam over in W Newton last night and that drum just sang! Great tone and body. Very sensitive and best cross stick rim tap. It opens up on pop just fine. Looks average. Sounds unreal! Would love to find a full set. Good $ spent.

Back