Serious as a heart attack - a rant

Zickos

Gold Member
I've been debating on whether or not to make this post so in a moment of weakness I went ahead and did it.

In '98 I had a heart attack which required angioplasty and a stint. I had another in '08 but it was related to low hemoglobin because of a ruptured cancerous leason and not a true heart attack. I only mention these because I wanted you to know that I know what a heart attack feels like and believe it "ain't no fun".

Friday, June 28, I drove MYSELF to the hospital with slightly more than mild chest pains (it was an idiotic thing to do and don't any of you ever think of doing that - I was stupid for trying). The pains went away in the ER (of course) but they kept me overnight as I had slightly elevated enzyme levels. They ran a stress test on me the next day which showed no problems and they let me go home later that day (Saturday). Sunday, June 30 I had some slight tightening but I dismissed it as nothing to worry about (denial is not just a river in Egypt) with instructions to follow up with my cardiologist. On Monday, July 1, I had more chest pains I called my wife (a little smarter this time) to take me back to the ER. Of course, the pains went away (you knew that was going to happen) but, due to my previous recent experiences, they decided to keep me anyway and planned to run a cardiac catheter the next day (for those of you who know it's not a piece of cake). At 10:00pm the evening of the 1st, I was in a room talking to a nurse (who had me hooked up to a heart monitor) about exactly what I was going to experience the next day. My wife had gone home for the evening. All of the sudden the pains came back and then got worse and then ten times worse and then ten times worse (yes, 100 times). I couldn't breathe. She gave me a nitro pill and then another when that didn't work. The next thing I knew there were ten people all around me and I had an oxygen mask and a nitro drip. A cardiologist was called in (not mine, he was out of town because of a death in the family) and I was rushed to the cath lab. I was prepped for surgery (you know you are in bad shape when a female nurse shaves your crotch and you don't care). By 2:00am I was in a cardiac ICU room (plus one stint) and the procedure was over. I was released to go home on Wednesday and by Friday (July 5) I was back at work on light duty (not supposed to lift anything heavy and not able to work in the yard in the heat).

Why am I mentioning all this? I am asking myself this and was unsure if I was even going to post it until the last minute. I was supposed to have eight gigs with my big band in a span of five weeks (more than we usually have) and so far I have gotten the first two covered by other drummers. My cardiologist (who is back in town) has cleared me to play as long as I stay away from lifting anything heavy (yeah, right) so I have repacked my uber heavy hardware case in two smaller cases so I can handle them. My first gig is tomorrow night (July 9) and I am going to take it very easy. I'm not worried about playing, just lugging the gear. The problem is that I can't wait to get back to playing. It is the cheapest therapy I know.

I didn't wright this diatribe to solicit any bleeding heart comments like "our prayers are with you" and "hang in there" so if you feel you must comment please avoid those and similar ones. I think I am writing this to get it off my chest to someone other than me. If you hear from me any time soon that means I made it. If not, well, it's been a ride.

Well be careful and enjoy your gigging. It should also keep your mind off more unpleasant things. Just don't hurt yourself.

OK. No bleeding heart comments here - I'm with ya' on making the ride the best it can be. Have at it and have fun. Hire a minion to do the heavy lifting. I have this sneaking suspicion you'll be telling us about the gig, though ;)

When my dad was getting close with his cancer, I think he literally had enough and wanted to leave. He left when mom told him it was ok.

So don't lift anything heavy!

Get someone else, play the sympathy card. As I've been getting older I've been teaching myself to play the sympathy card. When you get past a certain age, it's easy to look pathetic, and you can use that, see. Next week I'm going to try it out in the lobby of the Marriott Marquis.

You'll make it fine, Zic. Just don't lift anything.

Go git em!

I'll try to avoid the usual nonsence I'd post but I really would like to see or hear some sample of your playing. I've been really getting into jazz playing lately and have always wanted to see a cat backing up an orchestra on clear acrylic drums. That'd be something...

Get yourself some young buck that looks up to you to help you with your stuff. My fiance's dad loves when I come to his gigs and vice versa as we always help each other pack up.

Your thoughts and prayers are with me, Zicko :) Pretty sure I heard them when I took my tinfoil hat off.

Yes, get someone to carry for you. Many moons ago I went out with a heart surgery survivor and he had post surgical pain for years afterwards. Definitely don't recommend lifting anything more than a single stand, let alone a 1/2 weight stand bag.

Zickos, you hang in there mate, my prayers are with you!

Sorry, couldn't resist! I'm not sure the prayers of a non- believer will do any good anyhow, and don't hang anywhere, it's probably bad for you!

Now go an get rid of all of the tension and anxiety by beating the crap out fo a drum set. That's what i would do (no joke!).

Glad to hear you're still the right side of the turf. That heart stuff is a shit ride - I should know :( Lift absolutely nothing except your spirits & sticks for a while. I agree, getting back on the drums is just about the best therapy you can imagine, & much more fulfilling than "gentle swimming" (usual advice).

Oh, nearly forgot - avoid sex with more that 5 chicks at once too ;)

I had a heart attack in 2007 right after Thanksgiving. I got 4 stents. I not only gig frequently, in a few weeks I am going to run my 6th marathon. All of the previous 5 were after the heart attack. I ran my last in 4:01:36 (damn 97 seconds from a sub-4)! Basically, if you get your arteries cleared in the cath. lab. and keep them clear by taking your statin drugs and exercising, you are far better off than someone who has latent heart disease. You got it off your chest, so now go play your gig and have fun! :)

Zickos, I just wanna say that you are awesome. Keep on keeping on. I hope the gig went well for you. (You're probably playing it right now as I type this.)

Well, I'm back home and I'm still kicking. Here is an update.

My band plays every Tuesday at a nursing home or retirement center for free in lieu of a rehearsal, so I guess you could call this a gighearsal (?). We are to do a recording session this Sunday so much of what we did tonight was in preparation for that.

Suffice it to say, it went well. I got there an hour early (my usual MO) and set up. All my gear was the same except I left a few things home and I repacked my heavy hardware case into a smaller case and another bag so I could handle them better. My playing was not my best but it was entirely adequate. Since it was a "gighearsal" we actually stopped and fixed a few things (something we almost never do). Playing was no problem physically because the style in which we play it is mostly wrists and fingers. Of course, I was the last one out (Why are drummers like the Marines? They are the first in and last out) but loading was no serious problem because of the aforementioned changes in my gear.

I had a good time and I'm ready to go back and do it again. Thank all of you for your encouraging words.

Maurice

Wowwzer... What an account of events. You're still swinging and that's what's most important. Not only that, you serve as an inspiration to people like myself to not curl up and die.

Mother nature has her way of telling when to slow down. SO SLOW DOWN. Do a couple of gigs a month, but not eight. I work in a hospital and hear, "Code Blue" all day. Cardiac or Respiratory failure and it bothers me every time. I'm 65 and overweight to put it mildly. So I have slowed down. I see people every day going into and out of the Cath Lab. You made your visit, don't make another. Take some time off. See how the stent works out. I am assuming they did a Cardiac Ultrasound, and Carotid Ultrasound to look for other blocked vessels? Slow Down

Back