Make floor tom sound like this?

I've been messing around with the floor toms on my Crush Sublime E3 kit. Trying different tensions on batter and reso heads. I've watched all sorts of youtube videos on tuning techniques. I've watched the Weckl video and a bunch of other from people who really know what they're talking about. They are all similar and very much in line with how I've been tuning toms for years.

Where I don't have much experience is with studio work and drum micing. This link is a video of Jamie Borden playing a Sublime E3 kit "right out of the box" and all mic'd up. To me his floor tom sounds great and I'm trying to get mine to sound much more like his. What I can't figure out is whether his sound is an authentic representation of the accoustic sound of the drum or is it some magical consequence of top notch mic's and a studio with great acoustics.

If you had to guess at how this floor tom is tuned what would you say? Cranked reso head? Reso same as batter? Would you consider this tom tuned high for a 16x14?

My kit is "right out of the box" and has the same heads as the drums in this video. I have a 16x14 floor (like the one in the video) and an 18x16.

There's certainly some processing going on there. Definitely reverb and EQ and probably some compression, too. The toms have been cranked in the mix as well.

That's a medium-tight tuning. I would guess that the resonant head is at a medium tuning as well.

There's certainly some processing going on there. Definitely reverb and EQ and probably some compression, too. The toms have been cranked in the mix as well.

That's a medium-tight tuning. I would guess that the resonant head is at a medium tuning as well.

Thanks! Thats what I kind of figured. I just wanted another set of ears on it.

I get that sound on the 16" FT of my 1950 Gretsch 3 ply kit using calfskin heads from earthtone tuned just above medium with the resonate head tuned just slightly higher than the batter.

I concur with what others have said. It sounds to me like the resonant head is tighter than the batter. I don't consider it a high tuning for a 16X14, but some may.

Back