Bass Drum head question

J

justroth16

Question for you experts out there...I've been using emads on my bassdrum batter and res for quite awhile now...i kicked through my batter side yesterday, and I am using it as an opportunity to experiment with different heads...I have a 1970 24'' Ludwig kick, so i've been wanting to experiment with remo ambassadors ala Bonham..

My question is...I'd rather not buy a res head right now since my emad is relatively new...would the emad resonant and remo ambassador batter be a good combo? or should i just stick with emads on the batter and resonant?

Thanks in advance guys!

Question for you experts out there...I've been using emads on my bassdrum batter and res for quite awhile now...i kicked through my batter side yesterday, and I am using it as an opportunity to experiment with different heads...I have a 1970 24'' Ludwig kick, so i've been wanting to experiment with remo ambassadors ala Bonham..

My question is...I'd rather not buy a res head right now since my emad is relatively new...would the emad resonant and remo ambassador batter be a good combo? or should i just stick with emads on the batter and resonant?

Thanks in advance guys!

Not sure. I don't use Evans heads but I can tell you Bonham used coated Emperors as batters. Not Ambassadors. Have a look here .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAwLN7sFIE8

Ahh mistake averted...thanks...anyone else have an opinion?

What I like (PS3s) may not be what you like, so it's hard to give advice . . . except next time use a patch and you won't "kick through" any more batter heads.

Reading reviews, EMAD's seem susceptible to breaking. An EMAD on both ends sounds like a lot of muffling (to me).

As mentioned, Bonham used a coated Emp batter with a coated Amb reso, and a felt strip under each.... of course 30 years later, we have the luxury of muffled heads.

I'm using a PS3 batter and the Ludwig equivalent of a smooth Ambassador up front. With a little extra tension on the reso, there's no need for more muffling.

-Ryan

Bonham and most other drummers of that era used felt strips on both heads to focus the sound. Am important factor in getting that sound.

Back