Lars Ulrich

NDNDrummer said:
how does he play the beginning of hero of the day?

In terms of a live performance, see for yourself.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lHimBeHtuRM&search=Hero of the Day live

You can clearly see that Lars was using a china. I really don't like this song at all, but since you guys decided to reference Metallica's newer material (even though I was referring to Lars' work on Justice and earlier), here you go.

HAHA! Ulrich87 = pwn3d! UH!

- Marc

My main point is this:

Lars went from playing this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=eZSjCQiaL...eeping Death

To playing this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Hzq7hBeU2g0&search=Creeping Death live

and went from this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=wyt0H9pKZ88&search=master of puppets live

to this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=rQKhc6IKiFA&search=master of puppets live

Notice the use of the china Ulrich87.

One can certainly gather that Lars is far from his peak. He's only about 42 years old, and should still be able to perform well. Like Dave Lombardo said, he could just be having trouble as Dave did on the Seasons in the Abyss tour, but whatever the problem, Lars has to realize that he is the timekeeper for the biggest band in the world. The others, aside from James Hetfield, whose voice has faltered (which was destroyed during the recording of the "Black" Album), have not shown any signs of being unable to play. I seem to recall readin on this post that Lars viewed Metallica as a business; if so, it is quite clear why his playing is not so.

- Marc

stop pawning each other damnit.

Lars is using a 20" A Ping Ride.

everybody happy now?

if he got that ride now, he prolly had a ride any other time. he just dont use one like one.

syaoran05 said:
stop pawning each other damnit.

Lars is using a 20" A Ping Ride.

everybody happy now?

if he got that ride now, he prolly had a ride any other time. he just dont use one like one.

Exactly,
listen to Call of Ktulu on S&M (on that section in towards the end when he is doing constant doubles with his right foot, using the ride to keep time)
And on Hero of the Day on S&M when he does the long (boring) intro

NDNDrummer said:
Exactly,
listen to Call of Ktulu on S&M (on that section in towards the end when he is doing constant doubles with his right foot, using the ride to keep time)
And on Hero of the Day on S&M when he does the long (boring) intro

he has a ride, but he doesnt use it as one - its just another heavy crash for him. if he needs the ride sound that's the only time he'll use it. about the china, well its his choice to use it as his primary ride.

purdie uses a china for a main ride and it sounds nice, and he also uses a ride for his primary crash just like lars. but check this: Purdie isnt Lars.

Have you guys listened to the song St Anger on the album with the same name?
Some of you said he did not do any effort after Black Album?

He tries as hell on this song and he does it great! He has not lost his skills in drumming!

Lars is an asset to metallica, other than that, he is ur average drummer you would see at any gig in an average size bar. im not knockin him, but thats the reality. he influenced me for many years, but one doesnt have to be a god to influence somebody. with metallica he is a god. if the man does not want to use a ride, thats his problem. i dont play with any splash cymbals, i hope someone doesnt think im a bad drummer because of it.

I think the belief is that he has regressed as a drummer. Without a doubt, I think that is true.

That being said, he was perfect for the early metallica when they had some cajones.

Now, they sound like a club band. At least to me. One of my friends does not appreciate the old metallica but loves from the black album on. It is all a matter of taste.

I do not feel that right now, he could drum as well or as fast has he did back in the mid to late 80s. Certainly he does not drum with the same passion and power.

mikei said:
I think the belief is that he has regressed as a drummer. Without a doubt, I think that is true.

That being said, he was perfect for the early metallica when they had some cajones.

Now, they sound like a club band. At least to me. One of my friends does not appreciate the old metallica but loves from the black album on. It is all a matter of taste.

I do not feel that right now, he could drum as well or as fast has he did back in the mid to late 80s. Certainly he does not drum with the same passion and power.

Again, as Vinnie says, have you heard St Anger?, it's great drumming, very fast and lots of double bass too. If you watch the accompanying DVD, he plays with such ease!

syaoran05 said:
he has a ride, but he doesnt use it as one - its just another heavy crash for him. if he needs the ride sound that's the only time he'll use it. about the china, well its his choice to use it as his primary ride.

purdie uses a china for a main ride and it sounds nice, and he also uses a ride for his primary crash just like lars. but check this: Purdie isnt Lars.

This is exactly what I said. Since 2003 he has replaced it with a CHINA CYMBAL. Purdie is a jazz drummer, so he cannot really be compared to Lars in terms of grooves, but yes he does have a use for his cymbals.

- Marc

about that ride.. ive just seen san diego 92 .. there might be a ride.. but its not clear.. he has 3 cymbals on his right side, and a china.. where there normaly would be a ride he has a high hat. it looks like that for me.. on cunning stunts he defidently has a china where there should be a ride.. if he has a ride. he isnt using it very much. there could be a crash/ride somewhere, i dont know. like i said.. he isnt using it much. cant actually recall him using it now.... live that is..

infernal drummer said:
about that ride.. ive just seen san diego 92 .. there might be a ride.. but its not clear.. he has 3 cymbals on his right side, and a china.. where there normaly would be a ride he has a high hat. it looks like that for me.. on cunning stunts he defidently has a china where there should be a ride.. if he has a ride. he isnt using it very much. there could be a crash/ride somewhere, i dont know. like i said.. he isnt using it much. cant actually recall him using it now.... live that is..

he has a china in the position of where the ride would normally be.... but the ride is placed among the crashes,a nd its an avedis too so its hard to see which one the ride is.... but definitely he has a ride...

he has a china in the position of the ride, but he has a ride. he uses that ride as a crash.

its either he has a ride or Zildjian.com is lying.

syaoran05 said:
he has a china in the position of where the ride would normally be.... but the ride is placed among the crashes,a nd its an avedis too so its hard to see which one the ride is.... but definitely he has a ride...

he has a china in the position of the ride, but he has a ride. he uses that ride as a crash.

its either he has a ride or Zildjian.com is lying.

hmm just saw cunning stunts again .. "until it sleeps" he does play a ride. ride is placed UNDER the china :D odd.. ure probaly right about the ride in san diego 92.. i just cant recall hearing him play it.

infernal drummer said:
hmm just saw cunning stunts again .. "until it sleeps" he does play a ride. ride is placed UNDER the china :D odd.. ure probaly right about the ride in san diego 92.. i just cant recall hearing him play it.

I think it's VERY odd that you people haven't noticed that before now..

tambian89 said:
I was hardly owned; That is one rare occasion when Lars used a ride; tell me five more songs on or after ...And Justice for All when he uses a ride.

- Marc

- Bleeding me
- Unforgiven 2
- The memory remains
- Better than you
- Where the wild things are
- Fixxxer
- Untill it sleeps
- Call of Ktulu (on the S&M record AND on RTL)

Just had to...

Last edited:
Breadmonkey said:
I really dislike him for several reasons:

1) His objection to Napster and similar file sharing programs. If it wasn't for tape swapping in the eighties no-one would ever have heard of metallica, so in my opinion biting the hand that feeds you.

2) Sure, if you like their style the drums sound great...... after thirty takes. He cannot deliver the goods in a live situation as he does not have the technical ability to play his own stuff outside of a studio without having plenty of time to get it right.

3) I know people have admitted that he is not the most technical drummer in the world. Its entirely his fault he doesn't get much respect anymore from the drumming community. If he didn't let his ego grow into the out of control monster it has become he would say to himself "hang on i need to work on my technique so i can play better", but no he doesn't do this. So when it comes to show time, instead of playing what you hear on the albums, nice, even, properly done double bass work, you get him just hitting the double bass pedal as fast as he can, which some may say is rockin and intense but its not, it shows lack of control and ability and shows him up for the fraud he is.

4) while i found the black album to be very interesting and inventive, none of the other albums really blew me away, again his ego telling him that he doesn't need to try because he's lars ulrich.

****** END OF RANT*********
he may have an ego but it does mean he is a bad drummer, remember in the 80s most drummers didnt even play double bass, but he did, most drummers had a big ass kit just to play super easy drum beats(KISS drummer) that proves lars is a kickass drummer

Lars was one of my original drumming inspirations, but that was waaaayyy before the St. Anger album. Once that CD came out, I just never looked at him the way I used to.

METAL_DRUMMER said:
Breadmonkey said:

1) His objection to Napster and similar file sharing programs. If it wasn't for tape swapping in the eighties no-one would ever have heard of metallica, so in my opinion biting the hand that feeds you.

2) Sure, if you like their style the drums sound great...... after thirty takes. He cannot deliver the goods in a live situation as he does not have the technical ability to play his own stuff outside of a studio without having plenty of time to get it right.

3) I know people have admitted that he is not the most technical drummer in the world. Its entirely his fault he doesn't get much respect anymore from the drumming community. If he didn't let his ego grow into the out of control monster it has become he would say to himself "hang on i need to work on my technique so i can play better", but no he doesn't do this. So when it comes to show time, instead of playing what you hear on the albums, nice, even, properly done double bass work, you get him just hitting the double bass pedal as fast as he can, which some may say is rockin and intense but its not, it shows lack of control and ability and shows him up for the fraud he is.

4) while i found the black album to be very interesting and inventive, none of the other albums really blew me away, again his ego telling him that he doesn't need to try because he's lars ulrich.

****** END OF RANT*********
he may have an ego but it does mean he is a bad drummer, remember in the 80s most drummers didnt even play double bass, but he did, most drummers had a big ass kit just to play super easy drum beats(KISS drummer) that proves lars is a kickass drummer

Lars is a bad drummer now. Even back in the day he wasnt a really good drummer anyways. There were alot of bands playing double bass back in the 80's, and played it better than Lars. Lars plays very simple beats as well, he might throw in a different one but not something that is terribly difficult. Double bass doesnt make you good.

Symbolic said:

yeah, but see, you need to look at it from the view of a person that wants his band to be famous. at the start what matters most is that the name Metallica would be popular, so people would watch them, hear them and buy them; so they'd allow the tape swapping because its what will spread the word about Metallica -awhat will make them popular.

then of course you want to earn money, not lose it.. while theyre not gigging and promoting their songs, they sit down and compose songs; or when they just want to relax - it will take time offstage hence they wont be paid any money except those that come from royalty. and that royalty comes from tapes and CD's being sold. now, if everything was napstered no one would buy their CD's and they wont get any money at all.

personally i'd do exactly the same.. i'd release an EP then tell anyone they could spread it in any way so that my band's name will become popular. then when we get signed we'll tell everyone not to download our songs illegally or get pirated copies coz i know that the money we earn from the records we release will go to waste if everybody just got pirated coipes and downloads.

Double bass doesnt make you good.

who said double bass made Lars good? the thing is that people percieve Lars' double bassing intense, not that his playing double bass makes him good.

Back