SO what annoys you? (The so is on purpose)

@Ollie
@BFy

Well played fellas, well played.

I think it's interesting how media outside the UK has reported the UK immigration stories. I live close to London in one of the areas that is usually amongst the first to receive the new waves of immigrants to the UK. In the 50s, it was Afro-Carribbean, in the 60s and 70s it was Indian, slightly later predominantly Pakistani and since about 2000 it has been Eastern European.

You know what? I've never had a single issue with any of the above communities. I have absolutely no problem with people coming to the UK and to my town to improve their lives. It brings prosperity, it brings a skilled workforce (who are often willing to do jobs that others aren't) and it brings new cultural paradigms.

People feel threatened by this and I get it - people are scared of what they don't know and what they find hard to identify with. Most of the scaremongering (in my experience) is from two sets of people. Those that have never experienced any impact of immigration and only read about it in the Daily Mail and the disenfranchised (and often unemployed, often through no fault of their own) in areas with higher levels of immigration.

There are definitely issues of radicalisation in certain areas. The newspapers blow this out of all proportion to sell copy. There have been some shocking incidents - the death of Lee Rigby was horrendous - but the issues isn't one of migration. It's one of disenfranchisement and a lack of engagement from other communities amongst a very small subsection of an otherwise perfectly law-abiding and peaceful diaspora.

Call me a bleeding-heart Liberal but I have no problem with people coming to my country to improve their lives provided they work hard, pay their taxes, obey the law or are escaping persecution. Most of my issues come from people that aren't willing to work hard, pay their taxes and obey the law and in my experience, that's not the immigrant communities!

Camera operators who are so into using close up shots, that you miss the really good stuff going on. Back it off a little, sheesh!

Inspired by the Fred Below video.

Video producers that won't spend more than 1 second on any one musician in the band. They fly around with four or five cameras with out focusing on any one player for any amount of time.

The fact that London is becoming a part of the middle east.

I know, it's an absolute scandal, isn't it? I'm doing my bit to make it more equitable by bringing a touch of ethnic Middle East to my tiny corner of Wales. I don't think any of the locals have even noticed, and if they have, they certainly aren't bothered, but then again, they don't even mind English people round here.

Video producers that won't spend more than 1 second on any one musician in the band. They fly around with four or five cameras with out focusing on any one player for any amount of time.

LOL... yes I agree that is very annoying and what is the point?

I think it's interesting how media outside the UK has reported the UK immigration stories. I live close to London in one of the areas that is usually amongst the first to receive the new waves of immigrants to the UK. In the 50s, it was Afro-Carribbean, in the 60s and 70s it was Indian, slightly later predominantly Pakistani and since about 2000 it has been Eastern European.

You know what? I've never had a single issue with any of the above communities. I have absolutely no problem with people coming to the UK and to my town to improve their lives. It brings prosperity, it brings a skilled workforce (who are often willing to do jobs that others aren't) and it brings new cultural paradigms.

People feel threatened by this and I get it - people are scared of what they don't know and what they find hard to identify with. Most of the scaremongering (in my experience) is from two sets of people. Those that have never experienced any impact of immigration and only read about it in the Daily Mail and the disenfranchised (and often unemployed, often through no fault of their own) in areas with higher levels of immigration.

There are definitely issues of radicalisation in certain areas. The newspapers blow this out of all proportion to sell copy. There have been some shocking incidents - the death of Lee Rigby was horrendous - but the issues isn't one of migration. It's one of disenfranchisement and a lack of engagement from other communities amongst a very small subsection of an otherwise perfectly law-abiding and peaceful diaspora.

Call me a bleeding-heart Liberal but I have no problem with people coming to my country to improve their lives provided they work hard, pay their taxes, obey the law or are escaping persecution. Most of my issues come from people that aren't willing to work hard, pay their taxes and obey the law and in my experience, that's not the immigrant communities!
Andy completely concurs with every word of this post!!!

National Public Radio

Threads that link to Imgur pictures, it may take a little resizing but it is much more polite when you actually upload your pics to the forum.

If you ever start a thread with anything more than a crazy idea and the intent to gather opinions... I expect pics. Otherwise you are a terrible person and I don't like you.

So? The UK has always been like this and it's never bothered me as somebody that lives here.

If it weren't for immigration,GB would have no cuisine.
I mean before the Indians arrived, it was boiled or fried or both.

Back