The Day the Comedy Died

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
Yesterday one of my childhood heroes died. Jonathan Winters. He was one third of what I felt were the funniest men in the world. Red Skelton, Johnny Carson and Jonathan Winters. All three had TV shows and I don't think I missed one while growing up. In my opinion, todays group are just not the same. Not to say they aren't funny, but just not the same type of humor. A Lot of it was live and there were the obvious goofs and self laughing episodes. Ad Libs were galore and sometimes funnier than the practiced material. Now that Jonathan has passed all three of my heroes have gone. Excuse my silliness but I feel like I lost a big chunk of my soul today. RIP Jonathan.

Wasn't a big winters fan but I loved red Skelton. He was very funny and enjoyable. There are some good comedians, but so much of the time now you can listen to quite a bit of material and not laugh.

Yesterday one of my childhood heroes died. Jonathan Winters. He was one third of what I felt were the funniest men in the world. Red Skelton, Johnny Carson and Jonathan Winters. All three had TV shows and I don't think I missed one while growing up. In my opinion, todays group are just not the same. Not to say they aren't funny, but just not the same type of humor. A Lot of it was live and there were the obvious goofs and self laughing episodes. Ad Libs were galore and sometimes funnier than the practiced material. Now that Jonathan has passed all three of my heroes have gone. Excuse my silliness but I feel like I lost a big chunk of my soul today. RIP Jonathan.

i loved Jonathan Winters. i was just thinking about him yesterday. i'm glad i got the news from a true fan.

this one's for us:

"All-lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll over my body".

that was one of his catch phrases.

He is in my top 1. What a spirit. He did his art proud.

He will be missed.He was truly one of the funniest people alive.Pretty good actor too.RIP Jonathan.

Steve B

I always loved the characters he came up with. I remember him having a show where he did everything ad lib and it was hilarious. He came up with some of the most unusual, bizarre (but always funny) characters I've ever seen. He will be missed.

I too will miss Jonathan Winters. He was truly one of a kind. For me right up there with my two all time favorites, Jackie Gleason and my very favorite, Bob Newhart.

Gruntersdad, did you see Jonathan Winters in the short lived '90s series, "Davis Rules"?

He carried it. What a unique talent.

I remember being really upset when Mitch Hedberg passed. We will never really have another mind to match his, in my opinion.

I too will miss Jonathan Winters. He was truly one of a kind. For me right up there with my two all time favorites, Jackie Gleason and my very favorite, Bob Newhart.

Gruntersdad, did you see Jonathan Winters in the short lived '90s series, "Davis Rules"?

He carried it. What a unique talent.
DerekI am afraid I missed that somehow. Maybe I can find some youtube vids. thanks

Winters was a comedic genius. Robin Williams was a huge fan of his and tributes his comedic success to Jonathan Winters. Age ago, I think it may have been on sixty minutes, Williams and Winters were ad libbing together and it was pure hilarity,

My favorite distant memory of Jonathon was that commercial he did for revel ice cream bars, where he was wearing his spotless white ice cream man suit and hat and would look at this kid with chocolate and ice cream smeared all over his face, and with perfect timing and a blend of disgust and disdain, remark "rookie"

DerekI am afraid I missed that somehow. Maybe I can find some youtube vids. thanks

It starred Randy Quaid as a single father raising sons. His characters profession was a school principal. Jonathan Winters portrayed Quaid's dad, who lived with him.

Jonathan was hilarious even in the opening credits!

He did have perfect comedic timing; I would not be surprised if he was also an accomplished drummer. Thanks for the chuckles Mr. Winters!

GJS

I just watched the Letterman clip with Robin and Jonathan,and I think I hurt myself.I'll be going the the emergency room now.Bye :):)

Steve B

From an old Jack Paar show.

Winters came out wearing a pith helmet

“Who are you?” Paar asked.

“I’m a great white hunter,” Jonathan said in an effete voice. “I hunt mainly squirrels.”

“How do you do that?”

“I aim for their little nuts.”

Back