Snare Wire Mounting

Hey all,I bought a few snare drums where the snare wires are attached using nylon string of sorts and I have noticed that they seem to more responsive than the snares I have that use the famous plastic bands to hold the snares.Does anyone else notice an improvement in response using string as opposed to the plastic??
And secondly...I'm sure that Pearl or Gibraltar doesn't have a proprietary string compound that they use and sell for an outrageous amount (6 bucks for 4 pieces of string??) so has anyone found a good string to use say from the hardware store or the like.
Obviously need something that doesn't stretch and/or break easily.I'm all ears for any and all suggestions.

Happy Drumming, Bif

I've never noticed a sensitivity difference. I use the nylon tape or the Tama fabric tape simply so the wires will not be lifted off the head by the cords. Not all snare wire plates have the little, uh, "channels" from the hole to the side of the plate that faces the drum's bearing edge, where the cord would sit between the plate and the head. When it's absent, the cord lifts the plate a little, which in turn lifts the wires.

I've used shoelaces...for dress shoes. They never broke on me.

I've never noticed a sensitivity difference. I use the nylon tape or the Tama fabric tape simply so the wires will not be lifted off the head by the cords. Not all snare wire plates have the little, uh, "channels" from the hole to the side of the plate that faces the drum's bearing edge, where the cord would sit between the plate and the head. When it's absent, the cord lifts the plate a little, which in turn lifts the wires.

I've noticed those...um ..little channels on the plate and the lack of them on others.
Always looking for the "Ultimate Response" for my snares,thanks for the reply.

Mapex Pro M in Ice Blue Fade - Zildjian,Istanbul,Ayotte 5B sticks

I've used shoelaces...for dress shoes. They never broke on me.

Now....can I use brown laces with a black kit or is that a fashion faux pa?LOL....I never thought that shoe laces would be strong enough.
Thanks for the reply Larry I'll have to give that a shot!

Do yourself a favor and go down to your local fabric or craft dealer and get some 5/8" grosgrain ribbon. You can get a lifetime supply for a few dollars, in your choice of colors. ;-)

To me, the strings are too fiddly, but their advantage is that they are supple, thus allowing the snares to hit the bottom head squarely.

And even though the plastic strips are easy to use, they are too stiff, and if mis-aligned will cause the snares to be skewed.

The grosgrain ribbon is polyester, and thus very strong. But it is also suupple, so the snares land on the head squarely every time. Best of both worlds: easy to use, great results.

I'm never going back. I use it on all my snares.

Note: some drums will only take the string.

Do yourself a favor and go down to your local fabric or craft dealer and get some 5/8" grosgrain ribbon. You can get a lifetime supply for a few dollars, in your choice of colors. ;-)

To me, the strings are too fiddly, but their advantage is that they are supple, thus allowing the snares to hit the bottom head squarely.

And even though the plastic strips are easy to use, they are too stiff, and if mis-aligned will cause the snares to be skewed.

The grosgrain ribbon is polyester, and thus very strong. But it is also suupple, so the snares land on the head squarely every time. Best of both worlds: easy to use, great results.

I'm never going back. I use it on all my snares.

Note: some drums will only take the string.
Have to mention that to my wife,she does alot of sewing and may very well have some of this ribbon.Thanks!!...and my choice of colours?...what more could I ask for??

Yea I'm not saying shoelaces are superior or anything....I think I'll try that grosgrain stuff myself, sounds like DTD is a happy customer.

By accident I've found "the best" material for mounting snare wires bar none, the wire on my wifes drafting table that holds the parallel rule to the table is perfect.It is very thin in diameter,is nylon coated and is very pliable and supple.
I've checked with a local store selling this sort of thing and it was very reasonable in price.Mounted it on one of my snares and it works beautifully,it's half the diameter of the pre bought snare string so the snares fit completely flush with the head.Will let you know how it holds up.

Back