Suggestions for audio recording hardware/software.

NYDRUMMA

Ok so i've started framing the wall for my studio and I have everything I need for the build of it, so it should be completed in about a month. Now on to the actual studio/recording part.

I recently purchased some cheap mics from ebay. CAD PRO 7 and CAD PRO 4 that were packaged together for $170 that was too good to pass up. Especially after watching this guys youtube videos which were very informative. I also have an Audio Technica ATM25 that was attached to the bass drum on a kit that I bought. I decided that these mics are a good start for me if i can get them to sound like he did. http://www.youtube.com/user/SnareSpectre#p/c/527E39D7A40CF19F/0/AvqLVo_HeqU
For just starting all I really want to do is record practice covers and youtube videos. For years down the road i would love to have a studio that I could record bands in. Not to get off on a tangent but I love music and am thinking of going back to school so that when I retire in 8 years I can move to a career in music and music engineering.

I have searched many posts on this forum and came away with a little more knowledge of products and what I need. I just want to make sure that I am correct in my assumptions. Here is how I understand it so far:

After the mics I need an interface to record to my pc or laptop. One similar to this (which is around my budget:http://www.guitarcenter.com/PreSonus-FP10-10x10-Firewire-Interface--Firepod--242036-i1368483.gc?mode=1 The only problem with this interface is that it is firewire and my laptop does not have a firewire port. From everything that I have read on these forums it seems that for my needs usb would serve me fine. Any suggestions on an at least 8 track usb interface for my mics?

Then I would need software. I have reaper and am familiar using that, (used it for the Roland Kit that I sold) I would be open to suggestions for other software that may be a little easier to use and also have easy audio/video syncing.

Finally the camera and from what i've read the Kodak ZI-8 and the Zoom seem to be popular suggestions. I also may consider picking up a regular camcorder.

So from reading the other posts you probably need a little more information. The budget can be around $500-$1000 (does not include camera). I guess I'm really looking for bang for the buck for a beginner. The computer and laptop that I have are almost identical specs.
PC HP Windows Vista dual core processor (don't know GHZ) with 4gb ram and 500gb HD
Laptop Asus Windows 7 pentium 2.2ghz dual core with 4gb ram and 500gb HD

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have the tascam us 1641 USB interface and use Cakewalk Sonor

the tascam is a great unit for the price and Cakwalk has a number of recording software
packages...

I have the tascam us 1641 USB interface and use Cakewalk Sonor

the tascam is a great unit for the price and Cakwalk has a number of recording software
packages...

Thanks I like that for only $100 more it comes in a package with monitors a couple of mics and stands.

Question if i just have that tascam interface connected to my computer then I can only change the sound of the drums AFTER i record? Meaning I cant change the way they sound in my headphones while I'm playing?

Does a mixer change that? If I bought a usb mixer would I be able to change what I hear in live or do I need and EQ? This is what I looked at for usb mixers:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-XENYX-X2442USB-24-Ch-USB-Mixer-w--Effects-105783542-i1512171.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-MG166CUSB-16-Channel-USB-Mixer-With-Compression-104985569-i1322412.gc

Just thought of this could I just connect my headphone out of the pc to the unit while the pc is running the sound editing program and play. would that produce latency? I'm confused.

Last edited:
What sound would I be listening to over the music in my headphones? The raw sound of the drums or the eq'd sound?

What would I need to do in order to hear the mics eq'd over the music that I'd be playing through the Ipod? Are there latency concerns?

Back