Making up a beat to song

peety777

how do you actually go about making up a beat to a guitar or bass riff on drums? And like how do you know where to put fills and stuff in?

I think you should have asked this question BEFORE asking how to be a pro drummer :)

There is no roadmap or formula that defines art.

In the end, it depends on what you like...or what you think someone else might like(all depending on what your goals are for the art you make).

There IS a way to document what a music writer wants to hear...so learning to read/write music is invaluable.

how do you actually go about making up a beat to a guitar or bass riff on drums? And like how do you know where to put fills and stuff in?

• listen to the song

• find out where the snare hits are

• find out where the bass drum hits are

hold it down

• listen for places for fills between verses and to set up next passages

hold it down

• figure out if the song needs quarters, eighths or 16ths on the hats.

basically establish a skeletal framework for the song in the areas that must be supported. then fill in the blanks.

don't overplay. don't underplay. nail it. if a bit of flash is needed, go for it. it the part needs to be more subdued, sink into the part, but still remember that you are the backbone and the world is on your shoulders.

and have fun.

Last edited:
Nice post drstrangefunk, good stuff.

I just listen and imagine what I'd most like to hear.

Unless it's an unusually complicated song, there can be several beats that can be played to a song. What you're looking for is the Goldilocks beat, if you catch my drift. What beat "feels" right for the particular song? So, I guess it all depends on your experience and creativity enough to try several different things. A good example is the Cissy Strut. There is no one way to play that song, just like there is no one way to make Borscht. It's like asking, "what wine will go good with this dish"? Is your first guess going to be right every time?

Nice post drstrangefunk, good stuff.

I just listen and imagine what I'd most like to hear.

thank you, Kind Sir.

that means a lot to me, coming from one who's offered heaps of invaluable knowledge.

In various styles, the kick drum will often follow the bass players notes, if he is just playing simple stuff. In metal you will notice each time the guitar shreds a chord, the bass drum and bass player also play at the same time. Remember that playing a beat creates groove in a song, as soon as you lay out a fill, you disrupt the groove. Fills are common at the end of song sections, e.g. end of verse into chorus, end of chorus into verse and end of the song. Some styles incorporate more fills than other songs.

Thomas has a great explanation here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyGFCuHK2P8

Back