Black Panther Birdseye Maple Snare: Head Selection

What do you use for your Black Panther Birdseye Maple snare drum???

Mine is 14x6.5.

I would recommend Evans, beyond that, it depends on what sound you're going for.

For something versatile, I like the Reverse Power Dot Coated.

For something sensitive and jazzy, J1 Etched, G1 Coated.

For something tight and focused, Super Dry.

For something with a BIG sound that you can beat the crap out of, EC2 Coated.

I have owned that exact snare for over 10 years and I tried almost every head on the market in the months after I got it. The head that I ended up choosing is the Remo Fiberskyn 3. There is something magical about this head on the BP. It is warm and round, yet cutting and detailed... it has just the sound that I was searching for.

When other musicians started coming up and asking me what head I used on the snare, I knew I was onto something. It has a an incredible sound when mic'd. An added advantage is that these heads are extremely strong and last quite awhile.

I have owned that exact snare for over 10 years and I tried almost every head on the market in the months after I got it. The head that I ended up choosing is the Remo Fiberskyn 3. There is something magical about this head on the BP. It is warm and round, yet cutting and detailed... it has just the sound that I was searching for.

When other musicians started coming up and asking me what head I used on the snare, I knew I was onto something. It has a an incredible sound when mic'd. An added advantage is that these heads are extremely strong and last quite awhile.

i've been curious about those Fiberskyn's...what type of music do you play? wondering if it would work well with rock...

I have used Fiberskyn 3's on my snare for sessions and live work ranging from southern rock to thrash metal, and they work great in every situation I have been in. Nothing I have tried matches their combination of warmth and attack. And like I said, they will take a serious beating and hang in there no problem.

Maybe I will give the Fiberskyn 3 a go. How tight do you tighten it?? I did about half a turn + 1/4 turn after the lug starts to grab...

I'll 3rd the fiberskyn for being an awesome snare head... As far as tightening it that really depends on the sound you're going for. Don't be afraid to crank it up!

Exactly CrazyHorse. I crank them down pretty good to get a good rebound and "pop" but the F3 still has a warm, round tone to it. maximusppl emailed me the question he posted above and I wrote him back with my tuning technique.

Hey I have a BP 13 x 6 birdseye maple snare...would the remo fiberskyn 3 work well on my drum as well? for mostly pop and rock?

Back