Drum Mic Systems

KBadd

Silver Member
I want to get a decent drum mic system. What are your suggestions?

Ahh so....you need info.

6 piece Mapex Saturn--Birch/Walnut--20x22, 10, 12, 14, 16, 5.5x14. I play rock. This will be for live shows. I have no price limit but I do not want to spend more than $800.00 or so. Price can vary.

Ok, now I can help a bit. I have 4 x Electrovoice PL35's for my toms. A very natural sounding & transparent mic with low proximity effect. Even better, they're hyper cardoid so off axis rejection is superb (no feedback issues). They're very well made, have an angled body so no need for angle xlr leads, and come with a really sturdy rim mount. I've been using them for about 6 months now and they're superb. Grate for snare too, but I don't mic my snare. I'm currently evaluating a pair of Electrovoice PL37's for overheads. Initial results are really good. Not as natural as the PL35's, but biased nicely for bright top end. Snare cuts through beautifully & hats are crisp as hell. I'm still using my trusty AKG D112 for kick. It's not great, but gives me just about the most reliable pre eq'd live kick sound every time and as good as most out there for the price. I'm hearing great things about the Electrovoice kick mic though. Apparently, very good if your kick already sounds great acoustically.

Anyhow, you can get the whole Electrovoice kit mic set within your budget. I've tried the EV stuff against the Audix and I much prefer the EV. Quite a bit cheaper too. There's lots of options out there, but the EV stuff is tailor made for kit. It's very well made, well thought out design & way better than the budget stuff. A lot of bang for your buck & kills the Shure stuff. Great live set. Check it out.

Back