Help an old dog learn a "new" trick

gravyface

So I've been playing drums for almost 20 years, but there's some things a kid who's practiced their rudiments can do a helluva lot better than me. Kind of embarrassed to be honest, but can somebody help this old dog learn a new thing?

My speed's always been kind of terrible -- I'm more of a Charlie Watts four-on-the-floor kind of a guy -- but I'd like to learn this "triplet" (or so I think) at 1:16 of this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Il0mJwNqI

Is that a triplet off the snare to the kick or is there a tom in there?

From what I can tell, it's kick, snare, tom, kick. 4 hits. It's a triplet, but it's preceded by a single kick note.

Your choice on the tom.

Hmm, not sure if that's a kick as the first note... really hard to tell, but almost like it starts on snare, and the trip-el-let is snare-tom-kick.

But we all agree it's 4 notes total.

"ruff". Never even heard of that. But yeah, slowed it down in Audacity and it's 4 strokes, don't think it's a kick, but the resonance sounds like a floor tom.

Thanks guys.

Sounds to me like a four-stroke ruff that starts on snare and ends on a floor tom. I don't think it ends with a kick.

snare, rack tom, floor tom, kick.....R L R K .....in a single stoke four phrasing

a lick that Matt plays often

classic Max Roach, Bonham, Gadd type snap

single stroke 4 in case you were un aware
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v3061FsAX0

02singlestroke4.gif

I would play it Snare-rack-floor-kick. Or R-L-R-K

I think the resonance you can hear is just the floor tom ringing out. And I think it's easier to get the placement of the kick right this way as it lands on a more comfortable place in the subdivision. You could swap the kick and floor and it would form part of the familiar R-L-K-R-L-K-R-L-K-R-L-K Bonham style triplet thing, but on it's own I think the first way is better.

Soundgarden rules.

snare, rack tom, floor tom, kick.....R L R K .....in a single stoke four phrasing

a lick that Matt plays often

classic Max Roach, Bonham, Gadd type snap

single stroke 4 in case you were un aware
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v3061FsAX0

02singlestroke4.gif

I listened again with cans on and of course you're right. It's the classic fill.

I play the hell out of this fill and I thought this was it the first time I heard it but had an auditory illusion and talked myself out of it. Hearing it again, it's obvious this is what he played. I'll blame the cheap laptop speakers :)

This lick is also great to repeat seamlessly and practice in all subdivisions while accenting the quarter note.

Would that be what is commonly defined as a herta?

not a Herta

Herta would look more like this

hertaex3.gif

like I said earlier in the thread ...it is R L R K ...Snare , Rack, Floor, Kick ...in single stroke four phrasing

A single stroke 4, eh? My drum teacher got me on em at the weekend.

They're really impressive cos of that rapid little triplet in there.

I've been doing em: (1) Sn (+) K (2) Sn, Tom, Fl Tom (+) Kick

They make a nice cheat-y Motown fill too if you move the start of the triplet to the first + and put a single snare on the second one.

Back