Simon Phillips

jamsjr44

Pioneer Member
I told some of you I would post one of his songs from his 1988 CD Protocol. The name of this song is Protocol. I love Simon Phillips he was one of the first to really get me into double bass drumming. Ever since I heard him do double bass on Give Blood by Pete Townsend I was hooked.

ENJOY!

http://newenglandsoftball.bizland.com/simon_phillips.htm

Simon has been an absolute inspiration to me for over 20 years, and is the reason I switched to playing open-handed style.

Give Blood is the ultimate Drummers groove and Simon certainly defines what groove in the pocket is all about, especially the live version of Give Blood is incredible man! Also the live version of "Second Hand Love" from Pete Townsend has Simon laying down serious illegal chops man!

I have both of his instructional videos for almost 10 years now and I still learn so much from his unique approach and machine-like accuracy. His videos are not just instructional but fun to listen and watch, Simon tells it like it is.

One aspect I love and respect about both videos, is that he never talks about his open-handed style. Simon is all action and execute, and through this approach the rythm educates you about the open-handed method, not words.

Brilliance is the man.

Simon Phillips.

dap.

I agree with all of you...Alot of drummers I think sometimes get more credit than they deserve for what they bought to the table. I just think he never has been given the acclaim for his playing. I have a live drum solo of his I will post as well later on this week and it is great. Just the way he approaches it musically and technically is awesome.

To bump up this thread up - Simon Phillips have been one of my main influences for many years. He has the ability to play these amazing solos and songs ( open handed! ) and still be able to sit back and groove. I just love his style. And he plays sooo many styles! Fusion, Rock, Hardrock, jazz....

Dave's Gone Skiing

Is this the album that has V8 on it? I remember getting that as an insert in Modern Drummer. Good tune.

What is this open-handed style?

radeq said:
Finaly

one of my favorite drummers :) I love his album he did with the Toto - livefields - especialy the 6 song - dave's gone fishing it's incredible... :D

mlehnertz said:
Dave's Gone Skiing

Is this the album that has V8 on it? I remember getting that as an insert in Modern Drummer. Good tune.

What is this open-handed style?
The song you posted is actually from the Toto album Tambu released in 1995. This is taken from a live recording from 1997.

Open handed is a special playing where you're playing the hihat with the left hand instead of the right and the snare with the right instead of the left. When you do that, you usually play the ride at the left side too.

http://www.simon-phillips.com/equipment/images/drumkitgreen3.jpg
This is Simon Phillips' kit and as you can see, the hihat is VERY low and the ride is at the left. It was Simon that inspired me to play the same way.

So that's what they call that. I've known for years that Simon had the ability to do that but I didn't know what it was called.

I've seen Simon half a dozen times and I never paid much attention to where his ride cymbal was (is). Interesting placement. Next time I see Toto I'll pay attention.

Robin said:
Open handed is a special playing where you're playing the hihat with the left hand instead of the right and the snare with the right instead of the left. When you do that, you usually play the ride at the left side too.

http://www.simon-phillips.com/equipment/images/drumkitgreen3.jpg
This is Simon Phillips' kit and as you can see, the hihat is VERY low and the ride is at the left. It was Simon that inspired me to play the same way.

Simon is an awesome big kit drummer. He does it all, very versatile, and widely recorded.
Always cool tama kits as well.
simon_phillips2_big.jpg

Simon%20Phillips.jpg

simon1980.jpg

simon_2.jpg

Yeah. his set is way cool. And I love the fact that when he plays jazz with his own band, He changes the entire kit and plays the normal way! ( hihat with right and snare with left ). He also changes the ride cymbal to the right. Amazing how he can just change and play the other way too.

Interesting observation - he's been playing that green set for at least 4 years now.

VIDEO : Simon Phillips solo 22/8-04

Hey everybody. Here is a link to a Simon Phillips solo played on a Toto gig in switzerland summer 2004. I had to cut away like 4 minutes of this solo because it was way to big.

PS. TOTO keyboardist Greg Phillinganes joins Simon on stage with a snare at the end for a little rudiment! Very cool!

SOLO :
http://www.youtube.com/?v=ZIUzEtxDHkQ.

Re: VIDEO : Simon Phillips solo 22/8-04

pete_on_drums said:
nice video
hes really good
does anyone know what snare he is using?
His main snare is a "Signature "Gladiator" Snare Drum 5-1/2" x 14" and the one at the octobans is a "Signature "Pagaent" Snare Drum 5" x 12"

Simon Phillips Kit Update And Free MP3s

For folks who have been wondering about the Simon Phillips kit situation here is a bit of information. He is currently using a new Tama Bubinga kit in his new recording studio. The link on this thread will take you to a Japanese site for Sugi Guitars. The site has pictures of a recording session being done to demo the guitars, as well as control room pictures and photos of Simon behind the kit.

The nice surprise is that at the site you can download three MP3s of the session and get almost 15 minutes worth of free music. The tracks sound nice and Simon's drums, as usual, sound terrific.

Simon said at a drum clinic, in MIchigan last April, that he wasn't sure what would he would be using when the 2006 Toto tour hits the road in support of the new "Falling In Between" recording. Don't be surprised if the huge kit has a new look considering what he is using in his studio.

Si Rules!!!!!! Enjoy the music!

J P

http://www.rosso-jp.com/news/index.html

Last edited:
Two bass drums the last time I saw him - which was only a year ago.

He always use it ( except when he does gigs with his local jazz band. Then he changes his whole kit and only uses 1 bassdrum.]

Robin said:
Simon was out recently on a drumclinic tour in Asia and he used his new Bubinga kit ( I THINK ), he also removed the Gong Drum & the 4 octobans which is a shame.

Here is the link to several videos of Simon doing his clinic in Asia 2005. The videos needs extremely much time to load but they are very cool!!!
http://cosmosmusic.com/service/info/bbs_mov_event.jsp?actionflag=read&pk_idx=56

simon_41.jpg

Hi Robin

Thanks for the video link. Very cool stuff. I have been searching for content from Simon's Asian Tour with limited success. The kits that were used were the new Tama Superstars.

Si Rules!!

J P

Back