Kit Configurations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rod Kimble

Hey everyone I'm looking for some advice.

Im going to be buying a new kit soon and I am in between a 12x9,14x14,16x16,24x16 setup or a 13x10,16x16,18x16,24x16 setup. I play in a rock band, and my main influences are Rush, Led Zeppelin, anything Dave Grohl is in, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Rival Sons, Sam Roberts.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

May I add that im looking at Pearl Reference and DW drumsets, if that helps at all.

Last edited:
I had an 18" floor tom for many years, which was a Gretsch from the 70s. I never got a good sound from it because if I tuned it to sound good on its own, it was too low for the sound to carry. If I tuned it to sound good with the other drums, Slingerland 12" and 13" also from the 70s, it sounded a bit choked. I would go 12/14/16 with the toms, but someone else may say that 18" floor toms are the bomb, and that 14" floor toms suck. Peace and goodwill.

I'm not a fan of 13's or 18's.... so I guess 12/14/16 is what I would go with.
I have a friend who swears by his 18" floor tom with his 24" kick though.

I had an 18" floor tom for many years, which was a Gretsch from the 70s. I never got a good sound from it because if I tuned it to sound good on its own, it was too low for the sound to carry. If I tuned it to sound good with the other drums, Slingerland 12" and 13" also from the 70s, it sounded a bit choked. I would go 12/14/16 with the toms, but someone else may say that 18" floor toms are the bomb, and that 14" floor toms suck. Peace and goodwill.

And that would be me. You can always make bigger drums sound small, but to make a smaller drum sound big when you need it is something else. My advice: get all those sizes and use what you want depending on the music and the gig.

I would love to get all those sizes but I don't have the money. Thanks for the advice though.

Really? You're only talking about two more drums though. That really pushes the price through the roof?

Here's what I see with my friends who work alot, they eventually end up with at least two different kits and drums of varying sizes to cover anything they might have to cover. If you can't afford it now, I get that. But eventually you'll have to if you plan on being able to fill the bill for a number of people willing to hire you.

I know but Im only 16 and I only have a limited amount of cash to spend.

In that case, roll with the 12, 14, 16 config. It's the most "generic" tom set up for a reason and it'll cover the vast majority of applications a 16 to 20 year old will call on it for. There's really nothing you won't be able to do with that lot. Look to get a little more specific as you get a little older and get some money under you belt.

What's an "oozing"? Do I have one too, or are they a Northern-hemisphere thing?

Yeah mate, we still ooze Downunder.

Ah. Understood. Get what you want, and go off and get better as a player. As you get older your needs will be determined by what you need to get done, or you'll learn how to work with what you have and make it sound great for everything. This usually happens in college when you're playing with lots of different people, provided you get good enough to be able to be in that position. Good luck!

16 and looking at DW and Pearl Reference? Nice. High school must pay better than it used to, lol.

Seriously though, I'm gonna go totally mercenary here and say someone is probably helping you pay for these, right? If so, get the bigger sizes. That way the smaller drums will be cheaper to add on later. Plus I like the bigger sizes. I use 13, 16, 24 myself.

If you've been able to earn enough to buy that kit on your own - kudos. You rock. :)

...and you're looking at DW and Pearl Reference kits? Wow. That's quite a lot of "limited amount of cash" you've earned yourself. Nice work!

For that amount of cash, I would look at getting 3 used pro-level kits, or 2 used pro-level kits and some nice cymbals and a couple of snares. And cases. And a nice throne.

I have enough for the kit, but not for the hardware and cymbals. And I know most think I don't deserve that high end of a kit because of my age but I spend almost all my time practicing, and when I cant practice watching my "heroes" playing, and its time for me to try to make it in the industry so good equipment would be amazing.

Oh, I didn't mean you don't deserve the kit. I meant what I said - as someone who went from a fairly privileged childhood to an adulthood of relative poverty, I only wish I had taken better advantage of my privilege. ;-)

...and you're looking at DW and Pearl Reference kits? Wow. That's quite a lot of "limited amount of cash" you've earned yourself. Nice work!

For that amount of cash, I would look at getting 3 used pro-level kits, or 2 used pro-level kits and some nice cymbals and a couple of snares. And cases. And a nice throne.

Caddy gives good advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my bad, I must have read it wrong. Thanks for your advice :)

Yeah, I didn't mean to come across snarky. Doesn't matter to me whether you earned the cash or it was given to you or whatever. Being young and without the responsibilities of an adult is a special time you won't see again, so take good advantage of it. That's all I really meant.

I would go with a 14x24, 8x12, 9x13, 14x14, 16x16. config because I feel that the kit would "ooze" with sound. I would buy Gretsch USA customs in those sizes.
My rubber ducky friend agrees too.

Where is a good place online to buy used? Judging by what Im seeing on ebay my local dealer is giving me a better deal brand new

Believe it or not, GC can be a good place to get good used drumsets.

Also in my opinion, I would rather have a lesser kit but better cymbals. So if your saying you have money for the kit but not anything else, I would suggest maybe putting the money into the cymbals. You can still get a good quality kit for a lot less than what it'd cost you for the two sets your looking at.

Thanks but I am getting help with paying, speaking of lesser kits that are good quality how are the pearl MCX? If I end up not having enough for everything I will have to do like you said.

I'm not a big Pearl guy so I don't really look around for them so I can't comment much. However, I was at GC and they had the new Pearl Sessions and they were pretty nice. 12 x 8", 13 x 9",16 x 14", 24 x 15" Bass drum and they were doing a deal to include a 14x14 floor or 10x 7, 12x8, 16x14", 22 x 16" with a 14 x 14" floor tom included. If those are nice I would assume that the MCXs would be as nice if not nicer.

Thanks for the advice! And I feel confident enough to play with lots of different people, it's that the music scene where I live isn't great. And the limited amount of musicians here are too caught up in competition rather than collaboration.

Well, try not to think that the music scene any where else will be any better, or that musicians aren't caught up in something. It's tough for everybody.

If you want different advice, learn how to play piano. Those guys are always working irregardless of any music scene ;)

Well, try not to think that the music scene any where else will be any better, or that musicians aren't caught up in something. It's tough for everybody.

If you want different advice, learn how to play piano. Those guys are always working irregardless of any music scene ;)

Or pedal steel in anywhere in the south.

Where is a good place online to buy used? Judging by what Im seeing on ebay my local dealer is giving me a better deal brand new

Oh, I wouldn't buy online. I find it's best to try out a drum set IN PERSON. That way, you know how the kit you're buying sounds. I would suggest craigslist, the local want ads, music stores, pawn shops, garage sales. I would definitely recommend against eBay.

...Those guys are always working irregardless of any music scene ;)

Bo, I know these discussions can get emotional for you but that is no excuse for making up words. For God's sakes man, there are ladies present.

Jay, with your permission I'd like to use your advise as my new signature.

Bo, I know these discussions can get emotional for you but that is no excuse for making up words. For God's sakes man, there are ladies present.

Jay, with your permission I'd like to use your advise as my new signature.

Just sayin'

.................................................................................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back