Are gig bags rail-worthy?

XG65

I'll be going down to Singapore next week to get some new gear. I'll be going to and from there by train.

I'll be buying a snare stand to add to my practice kit and a guitar for my brother. I don't have a lot, so I'll buy whatever stuff that is the cheapest. But I'm worried that if either the guitar or snare stand topple over, it'll sustain some damage.

So... yeah. Gig bags or soft cases(?) for rail travel?

Yeah, it's not that you're not careful, it's who handles them out of your sight. But even if you loaded them into the baggage car yourself, who's to say the train won't suddenly move (or stop), sending heavier baggage to fall on them or smash them against the wall?

We all must love drumming so much we're willing to make a whole extra investment just so we can move our stuff around ;)

I don't see an average snare stand getting damaged from getting knocked around. I throw mine in the back of a truck rolling around with half stacks. If you're not carrying the guitar with you, though, a nice solid case would be a good investment (and it would be anyways).

But even if you loaded them into the baggage car yourself, who's to say the train won't suddenly move (or stop), sending heavier baggage to fall on them or smash them against the wall?

Inertia?

Back