Lug replacement

classicstar

Hey everyone, I have a Tama Rockstar and I can't stand the lugs on it. (long style where they run across the depth of the drum, like the superstars) I really want to do a project with them because they actually do sound good and I love them to death, and I want to do something personal with them, if that makes sense. I want to find somewhere where I can get indivudual style lugs that will fit on them, in black nickel finish. I also want to put die cast hoops on the toms. How would I go about finding lugs of the right measurements, and would I have to have them custom built by someone?

Thanks!

Probably should have checked out google first huh? I found somewhere that sells some. If I ever actually do this I'll be sure to post pics!

Do you really want to go through that much trouble and money? If you do stop reading and more power to you; it is your gear and not mine. I have seen a couple of threads on here recently about people wanting to modify gear with parts that would probably cost more than what the gear is worth.I know you said you love your drums and their sound and I am not trying to burst your bubble or talk badly about your gear, but is it worth it? For the price of lugs and DC hoops for the whole kit you could probably buy the Starclassic in your avatar. Craigslist is your friend. Just my opinion. Good luck to you though.

My first reaction is that I'd second ineedaclutch.

The money you'd spend....odds are, in a couple years (or less) you'll be sitting there going "why did I spend the money on that?"

Projects are cool and fun, I've had a few myself....and I've sat there a time or two wondering why I spent some money. Live and learn.

If you really want to do it,
I'd go into it knowing you're not going to get the money out back of it (because of "upgrades"), and then there is overall kit re-sale.
Your kit won't get any more money because of DC hoops, and different lugs. People just don't care on mid-line gear, and if they are looking at higher end gear, they wouldn't want a Rockstar with what you'd consider upgrades for yourself.
NOT that a Rockstar is a bad sounding kit, it's just consumer reality.

I'm sure you are considering this,
SO, if you're going to keep the kit, it's right for you, then go on and have fun!

I'd try one drum with DC hoops on it first. Maybe borrow some from a friend, or take the drum to a shop you'd buy he hoops from.
Make sure you like the sound the drums make with the heavier hoops BEFORE dumping a bunch of money on something that "just looks cooler" or "more pro".

Finding lugs should be easy enough. Just measure from hole center to center, and get lugs that fit. There's a ton of different lugs these days.

Good luck!

If you're going to replace the lug casings on your Rockstar kit, why not just get another kit? It will cost about the same, save you the work of removing/installing the lug casings, and give you a second kit to do something with (leave at a practice space, take one to a gig while leaving one set up to practice on at home, etc...). Plus, there will be indentations/uneven fades on your Rockstar shells from the previous lug casings that you wouldn't be able to cover up with the new lug casings, unless you go with the same style, only bigger...

To be honest I'm second guessing the die cast hoops.

As for the lugs, it should only cost me about $70-80 to do with the lug style I want. I was just looking for a place to do it, because I want to. I don't really plan on it soon, I just want to sometime lol

When you're a jobless teenager new heads are a little more important then lugs that no one but me will care about!

S-hoops are a LOT cheaper than die-cast, and focus the sound about the same, and stay in tune just as well, while not sucking out any of the life. They also appear to sound louder. I just got one on the batter side of my LM411 about two weeks ago. I planned on keeping just until I put it on a new stave drum I'm building, but I'm keepin' that sucker and buying another to replace it! The center is like a dry 'crack', the rim shots real focused and lively and more of a 'pop' than a 'crack' which is mostly the new tuning I'm trying with a looser reso (same pitch as batter), but it's THAT sound I've always wanted. It was like $20 with tax. I might buy some for my toms if I decide not to try building wood hoops. I think having something more rigid on a 6-lug 12" rack than a triple-flanged would make a world of difference, and really get the floor toms under control.
What lugs are you going to try?

Back