Long-time lurker saying hi

Howdy all, the sticky thread appears a bit crowded (and unread) so I'll post a thread up instead.

Real name? Joe
Age? 25
How long have you been playing? Drums, about 1.5 years. I've played piano for as long as I can remember too, up to a Grade 8 standard now. Also casually played guitar for many years, but drumming is my current passion.
Your top 5 drummers? Numbers 1 through 5 are all me. I'd like to make my drumming my own, so I'm avoiding putting other drummers on a list.
Make of drumkit? Uh... Evans RealFeel practice pad? I've got a particularly sweet Gretsch snare that I love though, but it's technically my only drum at the moment.
Make of cymbal? Paiste at the moment, but I haven't enough experience to say that I prefer them over all others.
Where do you practice? Practice pad work at home, but twice a week I play with other musicians at a rentable practice space in town, where I just bring my breakables and use their backline kit.
Are you in a band? Yup, for about two months now.
Do you play covers or originals? Currently we're putting together a roster of covers, with the aim of gigging with those, and working originals in to replace them.
What style of music? My band is mostly into the 80s rock/hair metal genre which is fine for me because it's generally pretty easy to drum, but I'm more of a progger myself.
Favourite take out food? Italian or Indian
What country do you live in? England
One really odd fact about yourself? I have an exceedingly large collection of stuffed pandas.
How did you start drumming? After passing each of my piano grades, my parents would generally get me a nice gift as congratulations. After passing my Grade 8 piano at about age 15 I asked for a drum kit for my gift, reasoning that as I'd reached near the top of one instrument I might as well start on another. My parents, presumably in an effort to maintain sanity, convinced me that I should get an MP3 player instead, which was pretty snazzy for the time (how can so many songs fit into this little device?!). I subsequently forgot about drumming, until...
Rock Band! I'm sure this is a story told many times before, so to sum up: I played Rock Band, I loved Rock Band, I ended up living somewhere I couldn't play Rock Band, so I started drum lessons basically to get me hitting stuff rhythmically again.

Welcome to the forum Joe.

Looking forward to share topics and discussion with you.

As you probably know already, this is a nice place to hang out :)

Welcome to our crazy little corner of the world. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Yes welcome Joe. Thanks for lending a much needed hand to Andy.

Seems like you need a kit for when you get some gigs.

Indeed, welcome again.​

Any drummer who likes Indian food is okay with me! One of my favorite restaurants is Durbar in London (not far from Portobello Rd.) Lamb Saag (medium/hot) is my poison.

Welcome!

Bermuda

Welcome lurker. Everything you wanted to know about drumming you will find here with one exception. We have yet to figure out what the BEST of anything is. No best drum, cymbals, pedals sticks, nothing. we will leave that to you.

Welcome Joe.

I think we'd all appreciate some pictures of your pandas.

Thanks all for the welcome!
I think we'd all appreciate some pictures of your pandas.
Chances are you'll catch a glimpse of the collection when I post a picture of the kit I plan to get in the coming months. Plus, I think some of them may be happy with moving to a new home in a bass drum.

Back