Best mic for 26" kicks

Sennheiser e602, EV RE20.

We've named all of the most popular and best bass drum mics, but believe it or not, I've achieved a good sound with an SM58 as well. I think Bo uses an SM58 on his bass drum(s) and he gets great results.

I'm luvin the akg d112 - it's got powerful low-end but not muddy or boomy and it accepts EQ incredibly well.

I had the beta52 for a short while and I prefer the d112 hands down
the beta52 is a great mic don't get me wrong but I am getting better
results with less eq with the d112.

26"!!!!! I've got a modest studio but I would go with brian on the Audix D6 but add a large diaphram condence a foot away from the end to pick up the boom and mix the two together until you get the sound you want. Just as an idea.

With that particular size bass drum, I would have to reach for an Electro Voice RE20 over just about anything else. Their cost new is about $400 USD, but you can buy them used if you want. Any other specific bass drum microphone just has too much low frequency emphasis. You won't get this with the variable D design of an RE20, just a very accurate display of tone and attack, depending on its placement, without the muddiness.

Dennis

your question is subjective. All the mics mentioned are great and there are a lot more. you will have to try them and see what your ears tell you. Any given project or song may hange what you are after.

I normally use the D112 but used a knock-off of the SM58 at a gig last night and got great results

Best bang for your buck is Beta 52 imo. Time tested design, second in durability only to SM57, and can be had for cheap if you're patient on eBay.

I've always had great results with my D112 on all my 26's (16,18 & 20x26).

Don't like the Beta 52 at all, but I have had nice results with a 57.
I like a D6 too, but I like the D112 better.

I'd like to hear the RE20 on my bass drum, but no venues around use one, and I don't need to shell out any dough for a mic.

Back