What styles do you need to work on?

_Leviathan_

Everyone has their comfort zone of styles they do really well. For me its rock, metal, pop, funk, and drum n bass style rhythms. I can do country, folk, and blues ok, as well as a few other styles. I'm weak at latin except the bossa nova,, African and Indian rhythms applied to the drum set, jazz, and reggae.

How about you guys (and gals)? :) What do you do well, what can you fake to an acceptable degree, and what styles need a lot of work for you? Any you really wish you could play better?

Everyone has their comfort zone of styles they do really well. For me its rock, metal, pop, funk, and drum n bass style rhythms. I can do country, folk, and blues ok, as well as a few other styles. I'm weak at latin except the bossa nova,, African and Indian rhythms applied to the drum set, jazz, and reggae.

How about you guys (and gals)? :) What do you do well, what can you fake to an acceptable degree, and what styles need a lot of work for you? Any you really wish you could play better?

I fall down on heavy blues rocking groove stuff (think Tightrope by SRV) I don't listen to this stuff, so I don't play it with the same breathing groove. Playing the notes and the lines is not a problem - but I don't feel comfortable, and I know its pretty mechanical.

I won't take a jazz or brush gig, as I know I can't play that stuff well. Every Christmas I end up playing the Vince Guaraldi Christmas album end to end for about the last 10 years. I can play the notes, but I know I'm not in the groove.

There's a difference between the stuff I need to work on and the stuff I really don't give a rip to learn.

Latin - no interest. Reggae - no interest. Horn swing - no interest. "traditional" jazz and brush stuff - nearly no interest. Dead-esque tinny guitar rambling hippie nonsense - less than no interest.

:-D

I'd have to narrow it down to the groovy SRV stuff. I find that I like that stuff, and I know I'm just bad at it.

-Ken

I don't really listen to metal, but I'm trying to get those blast beats they use on the bass pedals and the speed around the kit.

I'll be inserting these as fills in rock songs - 8 measures max though.

I can't play metal, jazz, reggae, big band, prog/fusion, latin. I can fake jazz and reggae to a certain extent. Metal.... I have no yearning to work that hard, and big band and heavy fusion are Greek to me. I think I could get my head around latin though. So latin.
I can play rock, it's subgenres, blues, country, pop.

I try to learn basic grooves of pretty much every style.

Latin, rock, jazz, metal, reggae, hippity hop, new orleans, and so on.

Back