What we learn here

BTW, it's also a good time to thank Bernhard for providing such an amazing site. Let's not forget that Drummerworld encompasses much more than just this forum.

Indeed, Jon, thank you Bernhard for providing the world's drummers community such a website as Drummerworld :)

I've commented on many threads my feelings towards this wonderful forum, so you all know how much I love this site, the knowledge and the friendships this forum has brought me makes this place my "home", I agree 1000% with Larry's view, I'm not a "lone drummer" anymore, you have become a part of my life.

Before joining the forum, I was a regular visitor of the website since 2006, and I still visit many pages of this site nowadays, although lately I've been extra busy with family matters and travelling back and forth from France to Switzerland, which explain my lack of posting these last few days, but you're all in my thoughts.

So, again, thank you Bernhard, thank you Bermuda, thank you to all the brotherhood, this place rocks!!!

I'm back next week...

I have been a reader/contributor here for about a year and a half. I agree with most all of the sentiments expressed in this thread. I enjoy looking at new drums and finding out what all the latest scoop is on technique, equipent, etc.

However, I would be remiss if I didn't expressly single out the "Tom Angles" thread as being one of the singly most important achievements of this site. It is truly a giant amonst threads on any and all subject matters, not just drums. It enshrines the amazingly contorted and stupid ways that people can assemble, set up, mistreat, abuse, and caricaturize drums. My hat's off to all contributors to that great thread!

you been here longer than me Watz

I guess I'm just clueless, in that case. It's also mis-leading because I think I signed up long ago, and totally forgot... Came back on a whim like a year later and never left.

I didn't see FeltBoy in the list anyway, so it's lacking.

This site is not only the most informative and entertaining drum site on the internet, but pretty much the most amusing website of any kind.

Ever since I started coming here I've been enthralled by the continued adventures of Aussie Lady, Famous Dude, Polite French Chap, Mr Makey-Drums, East-Coast Blues Guy, West-Coast Knowledgeable Geezer, Nice Beginner Lady, Many Posts Man, Aussie Bloke, Other Aussie Bloke, Jazz Man With Beard, Teaching Guy With Enormous Beard, Occasionally Banned Man, Occasionally Banned Man's Nemesis, The Scandanavian Party, German Guitarist-Turned-Drummer Fellow, and The Openhander.

Make that "German Guitarist-Turned-Drummer Moderator". Kudos, Old Chap.

Funny stuff, Pommie Peanut-Eating Gearhead Rocker. Almost enough to get me singing the national anthem except all I know is we're apparently young and free and girt by sea ... and it's a rather disappointing tune.

Hey Polite French Chap - hope all is well muddling through the family matters! It's all quite messy and confusing, not to mention the squillion unexpected loose ends.

Ever since I started coming here I've been enthralled by the continued adventures of Aussie Lady, Famous Dude, Polite French Chap, Mr Makey-Drums, East-Coast Blues Guy, West-Coast Knowledgeable Geezer, Nice Beginner Lady, Many Posts Man, Aussie Bloke, Other Aussie Bloke, Jazz Man With Beard, Teaching Guy With Enormous Beard, Occasionally Banned Man, Occasionally Banned Man's Nemesis, The Scandanavian Party, German Guitarist-Turned-Drummer Fellow, and The Openhander.
Now that's a classy post! --- I wasn't sure about that guitarist...

...now I am ;-)
That "German Guitarist-Turned-Drummer Moderator finally changed his avatar guy", haha.

On topic: I've so much gotten used to the wealth of info offered on this forum it's impossible to even imagine it could be otherwise.

I've learned a lot of good stuff here in all drum related areas.

All is not positive though - I've also learned that I'm not as good a drummer as I used to think I am.

Also, gear related forums in general ignite my gear lust.

Before the internet I was a big fish in a small pond in regards to playing ability. And I was more satisfied with simpler, less extensive gear.

I started using forums in general about 6 years ago and this particular forum is the best one I've encountered.

I think the thing that sets it apart from other forums is the age of members... being a bit older there's just alot more experience and practical wisdom floating around here, and people who have the time and like to share it.

Not to say it's perfect... I do see people losing touch with reality and perhaps being a bit immature but I think that's just the nature of a busy forum that feeds the addictions and compulsions of many.

I teach myself and there were quite a few basic things that I've been overlooking for years... so being on this forum and seeing the same responses popup (e.g use a metronome!) has made me aware of how other drummers practice and it both validates my efforts and inspires me to work harder.

One things though - I wish there was a more efficient way to check if new reply's were made in threads that you've posted in. I am on another forum that has this feature and it's really handy.

There is the old saying it's not what you know, it's who you know.

And while I've heard that a million times in a my life, I don't think it was really until a few years ago it really hit me how true that is.

And via this place I've gotten to know numerous people. Some are strictly online friends, many in far away countries I'll probably never get to visit. I've been lucky to meet roughly a dozen or so other members in person. I've been to gigs, had drinks, and and hung out in real life with people via this forum. What I get is a nice way to stay connected to music, to drums and other drummers.

When my son was very little, he went through a period where he could only fall asleep on my lap. So I would pass the time with my lap top open to this forum.

In return, I've given advice, shared stores, occasionally used some connections to get answers for people and once wrote a letter of recommendation for someone who was up for something because I had seen them play in person, and just happened to know a person involved to send the email to.

Overall, D.W. is a great place to hang out.

Last edited:
I returned to drumming after a 40 year layoff. What'd I learn here? ...
* How to post on a forum, and load an avatar. I 'd never done this stuff before.
* Just about everything practical about drumming. Gigging tips were biggies!
* Drummers have unique interesting personalities, straight shooters, "it's a good thing".
* The meaning of trolling, and how it comes with the territory.
* How much I like people from all countries like Australia, England and Switzerland to name a few.

Now what I didn't learn in time...
* The brand of your kit matters little if you can tune it. You can tune it.
* How easily addicting cymbals can be. I'm hooked.
* Buy the best cymbals you can afford and never sell, (like many others, such regrets).
* Heavy weight gigging equipment sucks! GO LIGHT!
* If you can't say anything nice for gosh sake don't print it! I just recently got that one.

**Finally and most importantly, dont bash Ringo, not that I would anyway but it could affect your Karma here. Best Forum Ever. Thanks!

Ever since I started coming here I've been enthralled by the continued adventures of Aussie Lady, Famous Dude, Polite French Chap, Mr Makey-Drums, East-Coast Blues Guy, West-Coast Knowledgeable Geezer, Nice Beginner Lady, Many Posts Moderator, Aussie Bloke, Other Aussie Bloke, Jazz Man With Beard, Teaching Guy With Enormous Beard, Occasionally Banned Man, Occasionally Banned Man's Nemesis, The Scandanavian Party, German Guitarist-Turned-Drummer Moderator, and The Openhander.

Okay, fixed now . . . this is rapidly becoming The Magnificent Seven or something . . . Unless there are any more? I'm guessing Occasionally Banned Man isn't top of the list of prospective moderators?

& you're in our thoughts too at this difficult time Henri.
Hey Polite French Chap - hope all is well muddling through the family matters! It's all quite messy and confusing, not to mention the squillion unexpected loose ends.

Thanks guys :)

mmmh... muddling? ...I've been muddling through a lot of snow quite a bit, very unpleasant, dangerous and cold, it wasn't the very best week to go there, worst snow fall for the last 10 years... part of the squillion unexpected loose ends, I guess :)

* The brand of your kit matters little if you can tune it. You can tune it.
* How easily addicting cymbals can be. I'm hooked.
* Buy the best cymbals you can afford and never sell, (like many others, such regrets).
* Heavy weight gigging equipment sucks! GO LIGHT!
* If you can't say anything nice for gosh sake don't print it! I just recently got that one.

THIS !!!

I most enjoy following the journey of Bo Eder even with all of the experience he has, it's as if every day is a new adventure for him ... it's cool to see a pro keeping it fresh.

Back