DrumSkull Congas

Skulmoski

Gold Member
Here are my DrumSkull Congas.

Conga 1i 20%.jpg

Conga 2i 20%.jpg

Conga 3i 20%.jpg
These spotted cow skins are quite rare (Thanks Ryan at DrumSkull!)

Conga 4i 20%.jpg

Muzar 1i 20%.jpg
This is an Egyptian Muzar

Muzar 2i 20%.jpg

Muzar 3i 20%.jpg

Gibraltar 1i 20%.jpg

Krin 1i 20%.jpg
I am working out how to use a pedal on this Krin

Specifications
DrumSkull Quinto, Mali, Haré wood, Spotted Cow Skin, 10.5"
DrumSkull Conga, Mali, Haré wood, Spotted Cow Skin, 12"
DrumSkull Tumba, Mali, Haré wood, Spotted Cow Skin, 14"

Egyptian Muzar, Goat Skin, 10.5"
DW 5000 Turbo TD3 Pedal
DW 9909 Bass Drum Riser
Vater Long Range Vintage Bomber Beater

LP 1307 Blast Block
Gibraltar Avenger 6611 Pedal
LP Gajate Bracket

DW 9101 Low Round Seat Throne

DrumSkull Headcovers (not shown)

Take care!

GJS

Those are really gorgeous instruments! Bongodoggie has a setup kind of like yours and used to post here.

I could think of a way to more compactly mount the foot drum (looks like an updated riq). Find one of those clamps used to mount cowbells/percussion to bass drum hoops and attach it to a 3/8" rod, then attach the rod to a foot percussion holder. Attach the riq to the bass drum clamp. Sorry, I just like to tinker with hardware.

Those are really gorgeous instruments! Bongodoggie has a setup kind of like yours and used to post here.

I could think of a way to more compactly mount the foot drum (looks like an updated riq). Find one of those clamps used to mount cowbells/percussion to bass drum hoops and attach it to a 3/8" rod, then attach the rod to a foot percussion holder. Attach the riq to the bass drum clamp. Sorry, I just like to tinker with hardware.

I bought the drum riser to mount a large dundun but did not like the setup; my legs were uncomfortably splayed to play the dundun. I now switch out the muzar with smaller drums. The muzar is very heavy; I am not sure if there is commercially made hardware that would hold it. When I play the muzar the traditional way with my hands, I quickly become tired due to the weight of the instrument.

Since you like to tinker, any ideas on how to mount the krin?

Thanks for the kind words Deathmetalconga.

GJS

Those look great!

Your wood and skins look a lot lighter than mine.

(here's my video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnLhPEukSYI)

Have you had issues with the rope tuning? Is there any humidity to speak of in Abu Dhabi?

Hello Garvin, nice to hear from you. Your video helped influence my decision to purchase these tubs! Nice grooves you had going there.

Lots of humidity here in Abu Dhabi! Some days, you can walk outside and your glasses will steam up in the same way they do when you dump pasta into a collandar! We have a dehumidifier and it takes about 2 - 3 liters of water out of the air in our flat each day!

So far, I have not tuned the congas; they sound great. But, I am sure I will have to one of these days.

Take care and happy drumming Garvin!

GJS

Very nice setup!

How about a soundclip?

OMG! Sound clip?!? I am technically challenged. My Betamax VCR started acting very wierd the other day and was flashing 12:00 at me. Never mind, I covered it with black electrician tape!

Take care Tracer, I will see what I can do about a sound clip.

GJS

Regarding the krin, I would first put a wood stick beater on the foot pedal. I think Vater makes these, basically a thick section of stick mounted on a beater shaft.

That's the easy part. How squeamish are you about drilling the krin? I would fashion a wide Y-shaped metal rod. The leg of the Y would fit into a foot percussion holder, while the arms of the Y would each be screwed into the ends of the krin. That would result in minimal contact between the krin and the mounting hardware, allowing the most resonance.

You might want to go with a plastic block if you can't stand a little bit of drilling. See this thread for some more ideas.

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!

Back