Getting into drumming

Vampires

Hello. Firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong section and thanks to the admins who validated my account so quickly!

I've loved music like most people since I can remember, but it wasn't up until my first gig which was 2 years ago now that I've taken such a stronger liking to it. From that moment on I really wanted to pick up an instrument and learn to play it. Have a talent but most importantly enjoy it. I picked up a guitar once or twice but never really got on. My cousin is a drummer and he's exceptionally talented and although I haven't seen him for a while I did go round once , had a play on his kit and everything just felt so good! But this was about a year ago and sitting here now I'm getting sick of doing nothing about what I really want to do in life. So I contacted him again recently and I've agreed to go over to his next Tuesday and I'm hoping it will be a more regular thing.

That about sums up where I am now. I was just wandering if any of you had any advice for me on the theory side of things. I don't dislike any form of drumming but my favourite bands are Arctic Monkeys, Muse, The Killers etc so that sort of pace is what I prefer. Apart from that, I completely understand as with any other instrument, the effort, time and dedication it would take but you know what, I'm 20 now and although that still may seem young to some of you, I don't want to look back in however many years and wish I started earlier. But yes if any of you have any advice on when you first started out I would appreciate it. I also will be hoping to post more on the board. Many thanks! :)

Get a teacher and do what he or she says. Good luck and welcome to drumming.

Hi and welcome to the forum!
(...) and thanks to the admins who validated my account so quickly!)
Thank you, thank you... hahaha.
Thanks for coming back as you (or rather: the system) had some issues creating this thread at first.

Seriously, a teacher/one-on-one lessons is what gives you the greatest benefit and fastest progress. Plus you'll have some extra motivation if those lessons are structured systematically like x times a month, at certain times. This will add up to your time management/practice routine and overall dedication.

The next best option is having some skype lessons. We have numerous great drummers on this forum, many are world class drummers. As for handwork - amongst others, Bill Bachman, Matt Smith and jeffwj are offering skype lessons. Bill is also about to launch a project I'm beta testing at the moment (DrumWorkout) - it's superb. Pat Petrillo is about to launch an online project, too (Groovalution). Those are affordable super hi-end lessons that are available online.

Next best option... Get some decent instructionals/DVDs/books & CDs etc. Nowadays this stuff is stunning. As for hands - check out JoJo Mayer's DVD, it's considered the all around encyclopedia for hand technique.

Glad you got into drumming. (I started as a guitarist but 95% of what I'm doing now is learning drums, haha.)

Welcome! I can really appreciate what you're saying. I started playing drums fairly early in life (9 yo), but for various reasons I quit playing for about 10 years, until fairly recently. Now, I'm 31, and I wish I had that time back!

The best advice that I can give you is to realize, ahead of time, that developing skill in any art takes patience. I think that if you truly understand that ahead of time, you will be much less likely to become frustrated during the learning/growing process.

The only other thing that I'll pass along is to appreciate simplicity! Fills and solos are awesome, but the majority of the song is usually a straight-ahead locked-in time-keeping mission...and once you have those mechanics down, and start to experiment with your "feel" within the song structure, independently of 'trying to practice', it's truly magical.

I love the drums, and I think that helps me to stay focused. If you can fall in love with what you want to do, then it's not really 'hard work' is it? It's just time spent enjoying yourself. Look forward to hearing more...

No need to wait for the weekly visits with your cousin to get your hands moving. Buy a practice pad and set of pitch-paired sticks. You'll be able to hone your hands in your spare time, without having to buy a kit at the very beginning.

No need to wait for the weekly visits with your cousin to get your hands moving. Buy a practice pad and set of pitch-paired sticks. You'll be able to hone your hands in your spare time, without having to buy a kit at the very beginning.

This is the sort of thing I was actually looking at. I used to play a bit of rock band and I've always noticed I struggled on drum rolls so getting used to using my left hand would be great, and that is the sort of thing I should probably invest in.

Thanks very much for all your replies, I will try and keep you posted.

Just one more thing, how many of you drum in your own house? Have you ever had any problems with noise or anything like that? This could be the only downside of things for me if I and when I actually buy a kit.

Just a little update.

I went round yesterday and it was great fun. The 3 hours felt like 5 minutes even if it mostly consisted of hitting randomly and making up stuff. I loved it.

A couple of things! My cousin lent me his practice pad and some sticks. I assume this is normal but my left wrist is really weak. I'm quite surprised with myself with the use of my right and what I can do but when it comes to my left it can't do much! What are the best ways to improve this?

I can't think of the correct term but yesterday made me realized how bloody hard it is to keep a good co-ordination with your foot hitting that bass pedal every so many beats and obviously what's going on with your hands. That just seems impossible to me especially when it comes to the most advance stuff!

Hey mate, glad to hear you are enjoying it.

Rome wasn't built in a day, if great drumming came easy to everyone we wouldn't all love it so much. Just relax and be patient.

As for developing your left hand, you just need to use it. A lot. The book Stick Control is good for developing it. And there are plenty of threads on this forum on how to use Stick Control and how to develop left hand control. Look at paid lessons as well.

Hey mate, glad to hear you are enjoying it.

Rome wasn't built in a day, if great drumming came easy to everyone we wouldn't all love it so much. Just relax and be patient.

As for developing your left hand, you just need to use it. A lot. The book Stick Control is good for developing it. And there are plenty of threads on this forum on how to use Stick Control and how to develop left hand control. Look at paid lessons as well.

Thanks pal.

Getting on steadily. Couldn't put the sticks down yesterday even though I was only hitting the pad.

Same again today. Just practising my single stroke rolls in the normal holding position (I say normal, it probably isn't but I believe the correct term is the American grip)

Is this ok to continue practising with? I don't mind as I've got the tele in front of me. :p

+1 on the practice pad.

Next, get a metronome and work through basic "stick swinging" mechanics and rudiments in time. Train your ear to recognize any differences in tonal response between strikes with your left and right hands. Adjust your technique to eliminate those differences.

Start brushing your teeth, slicing vegetables, dialing the phone, buttoning your shirt, unlocking your door, etc. all with your left hand. This will build strength and coordination on your "weak" side.

Have fun! (That's the easy part.)

+1 on the practice pad.

Next, get a metronome and work through basic "stick swinging" mechanics and rudiments in time. Train your ear to recognize any differences in tonal response between strikes with your left and right hands. Adjust your technique to eliminate those differences.

Start brushing your teeth, slicing vegetables, dialing the phone, buttoning your shirt, unlocking your door, etc. all with your left hand. This will build strength and coordination on your "weak" side.

Have fun! (That's the easy part.)

More great advice, thank you. Starting to use my left a bit more at work and when brushing my teeth.

I may have a problem though. My cousin is always tied up in his college work or his own music work so I can hardly ever get round there, so I was thinking of buying my first electronic kit. Shall I wait a little longer first?

Not wanting to leave it too late huh? I started playing at the age of 46 - I'm just hoping my experience playing other instruments will at least help with catching up a little time! It's not the destination that's important though, it's the journey :)

Hi guys, haven't been round my cousins since. He doesn't seem too interested I don't think even though I've constantly asked him. Nevermind eh, I've stuck on the practice pad and hitting a pillow and find myself slowly improving the strength in my wrists and general technique.

Just wandering if it would be silly to go out and buy an electric kit? Looking at the Roland HD-3 V-Drums Lite which is £539. Actually found a shop that does Roland HD-3 + Stool +Sticks +Headphones for £539. I've read it's a good beginners kit. Anybody have experiences of it? It's alot of money to splash out so I'm still contemplating it at the moment.

It needs to be an electric kit really as I'm living with people.

Back