DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 04-17-2007, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Just listened to the song, with new ears inspired by the last few posts.

Great great part, and great song. The pattern flows so smoothly, you would't suspect such an underlying complexity. Wow. The bell accents are sooo tasty.... Congatulations, Gavin. If you don't mind, I'd be interested in knowing more about how you recorded the song.

Thanks Sickrick for pointing this song out.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:23 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Paul,
I'm sure I recorded that Billy Cobham BBC2 show - it must be up at my Mum's house - I'll have a look for it next time. It also featured Shakin' Stevens drummer (sorry can't recall his name) and Jazz drummer Nick France. The 3 of them play together at one point.
I haven't seen the MD article yet - which issue is it?

Hi Shuffle,
Glad you like "The Sound Of Muzak". I can clearly remember recording it early 2002 at Avatar in New York. Andy Karp (our A&R guy from Atlantic records) came down that day and sat at the control room window watching it. Everything came together very quickly - and the room was sounding so good. Had a great time making that whole record.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 04-17-2007, 09:34 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi Paul,
I'm sure I recorded that Billy Cobham BBC2 show - it must be up at my Mum's house - I'll have a look for it next time. It also featured Shakin' Stevens drummer (sorry can't recall his name) and Jazz drummer Nick France. The 3 of them play together at one point.
I haven't seen the MD article yet - which issue is it?

Cheers
Gavin

Gavin:

I had forgotten about there being other drummers on the clinic. I think Shakey's drummer was a guy called Howard Tibble who I used to occasionally run into at Dingwalls in Camden Town (during a particularly depressing drumming time when I was living in the East End and playing with anybody who would pay me anything!).

The MD issue is the new one with Marco Minneman on the cover. I assume it is June 2007. Thanks for the response and good luck in finding the vid at your Mum's house!

Paul
Old 04-17-2007, 10:19 PM

Hey Gavin

I was wondering if there are any transcription books of your stuff with PT. Probably not I'm guessing. It sure would be a cool thing to have though. All this talk about the main groove in Sound of Muzak (which has blown my mind for years now) but I really struggle with the chorus groove which is in 4/4.......right? The ride pattern is where I screw up. I think you are playing 3 16th notes on the ride over the snare and bass drum pattern but not straight through the whole pattern. Does that make any sense at all???

Daniel
Old 04-17-2007, 11:25 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Gibbersticks,
the ride in the chorus is just playing quarter notes on the bell and the last two 16ths of every four on the body of the ride. (X xxX xxX xxX xx) That's all - straight 4/4 except the first snare in every bar is anticipated by a 16th before beat "2".

Cheers
Gavin
Old 04-18-2007, 12:43 AM

Hi Gavin,
thoroughly enjoyed the Musikmesse pieces. I was going to ask how you remembered such complex parts but it's been answered, truly blown away by your playing.
I was amazed to find your 'Rhythmic Illusions' book at a friends place so I've attempting to get into that but it's primarily a FOABP track I wish to ask you about.
I remember being intrigued when listening to (what became) 'Sentimental' from the album preview. Now that I have the album I'm curious as to your excellent hi-hat sound throughout this excellent song? Not only it's place in the mix but it kinda stands out to me and damn genius it is too! Not too geeky a question I hope?

The new album is nigh-on perfect...but too damn short! :)
Thanks for your time.

Ogg.

Last edited by Ogg; 04-18-2007 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi Gibbersticks,
the ride in the chorus is just playing quarter notes on the bell and the last two 16ths of every four on the body of the ride. (X xxX xxX xxX xx) That's all - straight 4/4 except the first snare in every bar is anticipated by a 16th before beat "2".

Cheers
Gavin
Awesome, thank you very much. I was close but couldn't put it together. I said it before but man you could fill a whole DVD with just fill ideas. Your "Visions" dvd has been HUGE for me mostly in terms of my sense of time thanks to the "Master exercises" section. I can't believe how much I have been improving lately.

Thanks again
Daniel
Old 04-18-2007, 11:08 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Ogg,
maybe you mean the 'treated' loop thing? I made a 16 bar loop for the first part of the song - and then Steve mashed it up with some wild eq setting. Other than that it's just my 13" K hats recorded with an AKG CK391.

cheers
Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogg View Post

I remember being intrigued when listening to (what became) 'Sentimental' from the album preview. Now that I have the album I'm curious as to your excellent hi-hat sound throughout this excellent song? Not only it's place in the mix but it kinda stands out to me and damn genius it is too!
Old 04-19-2007, 01:42 PM

Hi Gavin
I was wondering...
you know that snare drum you've got ,this white sonor,what kind of wood is it made of .It sounds very warm and nice. what do you prefer wood or metal?
thanks Danny P
Old 04-19-2007, 07:39 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Danny P,
yes that snare is an old Sonor Designer 12x5 maple drum. Generally I prefer wood drums - although I've had some nice metal ones in my time.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 04-19-2007, 07:59 PM

Hi,
My name is Bojan and I'm from Bosnia,a small country in Europe.I need some help:I can not find a tom holder for Sonor force 2000?Can enyone help me?
Old 04-19-2007, 08:46 PM

Hi bojan!
well obiously you've got internet so! that's the solution go into musicstore.com and you can get pieces and stuff there is not trie ebay or arround your own country!
good luck!
Old 04-20-2007, 06:04 AM

Gavin:

Back in August '06, you posted that it had been a challenge playing Deadwing as an opening number every night because of its tempo and the adrenaline. How are you coping so far with playing the title track of the new album, which sounds like it's roughly the same tempo? Are the warmup routines helping?

My copy of FoaBP is on its way, and I've got my tickets to see you guys in Chicago June 1. Can't wait. :)

Tracey
Old 04-20-2007, 06:32 AM

Hi Gavin!!!
I´ve seen the videos from the Musikmesse here in drummerworld, and in Youtube also...
It was amazing!!!! but the music was particular in a way... not so many drummers play above that kind of recordings.(they sound very cool). Those compositions where yours???
The best wishes,
keep going like that, you´re a great inspiration for lots of drummers!!!

Tomás
Old 04-20-2007, 02:08 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Tracey,
Yes I'm still warming up - although the tune Deadwing had a much longer section of playing an open hi hat (before having a rest) than FOABP does - so it seems a little easier.

Cheers
Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmccartney View Post

Back in August '06, you posted that it had been a challenge playing Deadwing as an opening number every night because of its tempo and the adrenaline. How are you coping so far with playing the title track of the new album, which sounds like it's roughly the same tempo? Are the warmup routines helping?
Old 04-20-2007, 02:11 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Tomas_Gold,

"but the music was particular in a way... not so many drummers play above that kind of recordings.(they sound very cool). Those compositions where yours???"

Of the "Frankfurt" tunes I co-wrote the 2nd one with keyboard player Dave Stewart. The 1st was written by Gary Sanctuary and the 3rd was written by Laurence Cottle.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 04-20-2007, 03:28 PM

Another little question... Which was the hi-hat you used in MusikMesse? A combination of K and A?
Thanks for answering,

Tomas
Old 04-20-2007, 04:06 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Tomas,
the hi hats I used were regular 13" K Zildjians.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 04-20-2007, 04:08 PM

Hi Gavin,

Thank you for answering questions from your fans here, it's very cool of you as I know you are an extremely busy man most of the time!

A quick one for you: Have you ever had a particular song that was a huge challenge to play, not from a technical standpoint, but from trying to get the right feel or emotion for the track? Is it a hard thing to do as I assume you're playing to a scratch track that probably doesn't have vocals? Are you given some notes regarding the feel of the song from the producer (like, oh say, Steven)?

I'm looking forward to receiving my signed Ltd. Edition of FOABP from Newbury Comics(did the whole band sign them or just Steven?) and the show in Boulder on May 15th!

Thanks again!
Derek
Old 04-20-2007, 05:07 PM

Hi Gavin,

Caught your show in Newcastle last night....Awesome. As always your playing was inspirational and the band performed superbly.

Congratulations on the new album, seeing/hearing the songs played 'live' was a real treat.

Lastly, your drum sound was superb. Could you shed any light on your miking arrangement and head combinations?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Old 04-20-2007, 06:48 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Mr Beefhead,
I can't think of a track that I struggled with from a feel/emotional standpoint - when I play on PT stuff there's always a guide vocal to play to. Sometimes producers suggest things to me regarding what feel they're looking for - usually they just leave it up to me to find my own path with a song.

Cheers
Gavin

A quick one for you: Have you ever had a particular song that was a huge challenge to play, not from a technical standpoint, but from trying to get the right feel or emotion for the track? Is it a hard thing to do as I assume you're playing to a scratch track that probably doesn't have vocals? Are you given some notes regarding the feel of the song from the producer ?
Old 04-20-2007, 06:51 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi mixamuss,
glad you enjoyed the show. My head and mic choice live are the same as in the studio. Just look back a few pages and you'll see all the answers you're looking for.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 04-22-2007, 03:47 AM

Hi Gavin, et al.
I just stumbled over Iggy Pop's hilarious concert rider:
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...1iggypop1.html

Care to comment?
Old 04-22-2007, 04:50 AM
Silver Member

any chance of you guys adding more US tour dates? the south is noticeably absent
Old 04-22-2007, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauk View Post
any chance of you guys adding more US tour dates? the south is noticible absent
yes, please!
I just bought the Rhythmic Visions DVD, enjoyed my first perusal today- will be watching it many more times to come, I can see.

I think it is only fair, in reciprocity, that Gavin arrange for southern US dates to be added.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:50 AM

Hi again Gavin

You wear earphones during performances. Are these just for protection or do they have a monitor mix (and if so what?)

Cheers

Frosty
Old 04-23-2007, 12:34 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi hauk & xush,
we'd love to play some dates in the south. It's not going to happen this time round - but maybe in the fall.

Hi Frostilicus
yes the headphones serve two purposes - so I can monitor and not blow my hearing due to loud snare rim shots, open hi hats and crash cymbals. At the moment I have some Sennheiser MX400 (inside a custom mould) and I recently bought some Ultimate Ears UE10's. As fabulous as the UE 10's are - I seem to enjoy the gig more with the Sennheisers.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 04-23-2007, 05:55 PM

Hey Gavin,

Can you describe a typical day at a PT rehearsal? How involved are you aside from the drumming aspect of things? Also, what is your pre-show routine? Some warm-up for a while, some stretch, some do nothing.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Cheers
Jeff

p.s.: I love your latest "cut down" experiment. Yo're getting to be quite good at this eh?!
Old 04-23-2007, 09:04 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi JeffV71,
we actually don't rehearse that much - only a few days before a tour. We turn up - play through the songs - and then go home. Pretty simple really. Usually all the arranging is done before hand - the guys work out their parts at home - and it all comes together really well in rehearsals.
I'm involved in the production side of things films and sync etc. so I spend some time working on that at home. There's other business stuff that we're all involved in - just running a band.

Pre show I just try to warm up on a pad for 15 minutes playing doubled stroke and single stroke rolls.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 04-24-2007, 05:51 PM

Hi Gavin,

I m not a drummer but i saw last week for the first time the "arriving somewhere" DVD.
I mean I ve got like over 8000 cd's (lot of jazz, rock and also electronic) but i was never so impressed by a drummer! I feel like i have to tell to the whole world what amazing musician you are (and the rest of the band also).

I mean with PT you celebrate rock music like maceo parker celebrates the funk!
this DVD is just amazing!!!!!!!!!

I have already bought the tickets for the 22. june in Cologne, I'm from Basel / Switzerland, I cannot wait to see PT.

2 questions:
- how does it comes that you played with so many Italian artists?
- how did you become a member of PT?

ok Gavin, what should i say more... keep on playing and rocking!

greetz
lionel
Old 04-24-2007, 07:53 PM

Hi Gavin,

Just saw you with Porcupine Tree last night in Wolverhampton, easily one of the best gigs I've ever been to, you were nothing short of mindblowing (even more so than I expected, and the rest of the band was great as well!), amazing playing, great sound, wonderful setlist. At the end of the show all I could think about was jumping on the kit and playing drums!

I had a question about one of the songs you played, specifically the penultimate one (second in the encore, just before "Halo"), I think it was an instrumental. Is that a piece you guys are working on for the next album (I thought it was more in the style of FOABP than anything else, so I'm leaning towards this)? In any case, it sounded amazing!

Thanks for all the great playing,
Cosmin
Old 04-24-2007, 09:18 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi loveporcupine,

- how does it comes that you played with so many Italian artists?
- how did you become a member of PT?

I started working in Italy in the late 1980's with "Alice" and one thing just followed another. I worked a lot with Claudio Baglioni from 1992 to the 2006.

When the last drummer of Porcupine Tree left - Richard Barbieri invited me to come to New York and record "In Absentia" with the band. After that they asked me to join as a permanent member.

Hi Holomorph,
the song just before "Halo" was "Mother & Child Divided" written and recorded around 3 years ago for the "Deadwing" album cycle. It appeared as a B side and is also on the live DVD "Arriving Somewhere..."

Glad you enjoyed the show

Cheers
Gavin
Old 04-25-2007, 12:45 AM

Thanks, I had in fact just ordered the DVD, can't wait to watch it. I've also found it on Porcupine Tree's MySpace page actually.

Last edited by Holomorph; 04-25-2007 at 04:24 AM.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:31 AM

Hey Gavin,
Thanks for Fear of a Blank Planet, another fine offering. Keep up the exciting work. Best wishes from NY.

MM
Old 04-25-2007, 02:33 PM

I've just heard for Gavin.He is genious!
Old 04-25-2007, 02:40 PM

Hurrah, PT in Cambridge tonight! :-)

Gavin: I have to ask, what's the connection between the new album and Public Enemy's "Fear of a black planet"? ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_of_a_Black_Planet )
Old 04-25-2007, 03:03 PM
Pioneer Member

gavin, just checked the download website and saw Porcupine Tree are playing the second stage on Friday! awesome news. i always thought it'd be great to see the mighty mighty tree at a festival (especially download) but I didn't really expect it. what a surprise. will this be PT's first appearance at a major UK festival? I imagine they must be somewhat different from normal gigs, what with no soundcheck and slightly dodgy sound, but fun nonetheless. I'm expecting a heavy set!
Old 04-25-2007, 03:21 PM

I just watched the Arriving DVD 4 times over the past few days. What an amazing DVD.

First watch, payed attention to Gavin mostly, the part where you rub your finger across the drum head in Hatesong blew me away. I had to "rewind" that section a few times. It's been a long time since I've seen a drummer be that creative without just busting endless chops. The sections on the rim were great as well. It was also really nice seeing what I call the "evolution" - the difference between the recorded playing and the "i've played these songs many times on tour and have modified some things and improved my improv of fills". Usually their is a huge difference between what I record for a record compared to months after the fact. I never memorize fills and improv almost everything unless it's musically needed. I love it.

Second watch through I got a kick out of the bass player. I couldn't help but smile every time the edit brought him into the picture smiling and sitting back in the pocket.

After that I took in the quality of the entire DVD. It's once of the most well put together/edited/mixed/whatever concert DVDs I've ever owned.

I remember being young, my best friend (guitar player), showed me an Al Di Meola record. I don't recall which one, but I remember thinking "this guy is supposed to be some great guitarist, where's the flash? (ahh being young)". Suddenly Al Di plays some amazing exotic run up and down the fret board only to return back to the song/groove. It's at that point I understood. A great musician uses his or her arsenal tastefully.

Your playing returned me to this point and has inspired me to revisit the idea of playing for the song as opposed to playing for myself. Besides, if you play for the song you end up playing for yourself as a by product; play for yourself and you often times fail to play for the song.

I also find it humbling that you are kind enough to continue answering questions and discussing things with your admirers and fans. A true class act and musician.

Finally, hundreds of posts back you used a phrase along the lines of "smartass rythm" in reference to how PT tries to bring the audience along with odd timings without boring them. I plan on using that phrase with a few members of my band :)
Old 04-26-2007, 12:53 PM

Hi Gavin,

Yet another fine performance at Cambridge last night - this is becoming a bit of a habit! Congrats to the band on the awesome new album, which is certainly going to give myself and some fellow musicians inspiration and torment in equal measures.

(a drummer friend of mine is constantly cursing about some of the techniques he's been studying from your DVD, and I'm sure FOABP will give him plenty more to think about!)

All best,
Darren
Old 04-26-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
Hi Gavin,

Yet another fine performance at Cambridge last night - this is becoming a bit of a habit! Congrats to the band on the awesome new album, which is certainly going to give myself and some fellow musicians inspiration and torment in equal measures.

(a drummer friend of mine is constantly cursing about some of the techniques he's been studying from your DVD, and I'm sure FOABP will give him plenty more to think about!)

All best,
Darren
Greets Darren

Yes, it was a splendid show last night. PT are too big for the Junction now I reckon, it was more crowded than the previous two gigs!

You live in Cambridge?