DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 02-01-2007, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin,

Is it likely that you will do clinic tour in the UK anytime soon? I know quite few people that would love to see you play up close as well as the fine people of the drummerworld board!

All the best

Gav

P.s. My double kick is improving! Huzzah!
Old 02-01-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote............................................. .................................................. .......................
Is it likely that you will do clinic tour in the UK anytime soon? I know quite few people that would love to see you play up close as well as the fine people of the drummerworld board!
.................................................. .................................................. ...................

I'd definately be there!
Old 02-01-2007, 04:01 PM
Pioneer Member

Myself included. Make sure one is in London though...for some strange reason not many drum clinics are held in London!
Old 02-01-2007, 04:56 PM

Hi, Gavin,
now that the titles of the new Porcupine Tree songs are revealed, I`d like to ask you which one was your fav one to play during the recording sessions. Did some of the songs change much in comparison to the autumn tour? And above that, I`d really like to know what you think about "Fear of a blank planet" on a whole. Is it really that heavy as someone, who attended one of the pre-listening parties, mentioned?
Old 02-02-2007, 11:41 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Junglelord
- hope you enjoy the DVD.

Hi Gibbersticks,
clinic tour of Italy is going GREAT - thanks. I don't get much chance to connect to the internet though.

Hi GavManB,
I'd love to make some clinics in the UK - but nobody has asked me.

Hi orangefiltersky,
All the songs were good fun to play - I don't have a favourite. There are some very heavy parts - and some very delicate parts too. I don't think of it as being any 'heavier' than the previous two records - there's a nice balance.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 02-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Thats crazy!!! One of the best UK drummers needs to spread his knowledge to the public!

If I knew who to contact at Sonor I would arrange on your behalf "Listen...please get Gavin a UK clinic tour" :)
Old 02-02-2007, 09:58 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi TitanSound,
all I can suggest is to contact Sutherland trading. They are the UK's distributor of Sonor Drums.

http://www.sutherlandtrading.com/

Cheers
Gavin
Old 02-02-2007, 10:14 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
Hey Tamadrummer

*g* why should it be lame to trigger bassdrum ?
Deathmetal-drummer with 220 bpms + double Bass need to trigger... to much air in the shall = bad sound . Triggering makes the sound clearer in extreme tempos .

www.derekroddy.com there you can find more information about triggering the bassdrum (in the forum)

But : you should hear ( when your ears are healthy ) that Gavin does not trigger on PT-records and live performance.
i hate the sound of deathmetal drummer's BD's.. they are a thump, not a BOOM like a drum naturaly sounds.

And you have to admit that you like drums that sound good because of good tuning, heads, and shells, then a computer making a sound.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:22 AM

.................................................. .................................................. .........

I cant believe that!

Are you familiar with the Drumsense teaching programme? Colin Woolway, it's founder, regularly organizes clinics around the UK with people like Mark Mondesir, Gary Husband and Carl Palmer. I've mentioned your name to them for possible future events. I hope you dont mind.

.................................................. .................................................. ................
Old 02-05-2007, 11:56 AM

Hey Gavin,

My ears maybe fooling me but is it you who's drumming on the song Christenings from the new Blackfield album?
The drumsound in that song is slightly different from the other tracks and I hear a lot of typical Gavin Harisson details (especially the drumfill at 1:46).

Thanks.
Marc
Old 02-05-2007, 02:07 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Pywacket,
thanks - I know Colin Woolway.

Hi marcydarcy
I did record a version of that song a long time ago - but I haven't heard the new Blackfield record yet. I didn't know it was released - how have you heard it?

Cheers
Gavin
Old 02-05-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:

Hi marcydarcy
I did record a version of that song a long time ago - but I haven't heard the new Blackfield record yet. I didn't know it was released - how have you heard it?

Cheers
Gavin
Well, as embarrassed as I am I have to admit a friend of mine got it from some torrentsite on the web and I asked him for a copy.
Anyhow, it sounds great and I really dig one fill in that song (which has an incredible buzz roll in it)

Cheers,
Marc
Old 02-06-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Well, as embarrassed as I am I have to admit a friend of mine got it from some torrentsite on the web and I asked him for a copy.
Anyhow, it sounds great and I really dig one fill in that song (which has an incredible buzz roll in it)

Cheers,
Marc
Yesterday 06:07 AM
Well that wasn't very smart! It isn't really a good idea to tell artists or close friends of artists that you downloaded their stuff. Thats what you would call a conversation killer.

Gavin
As this is more and more of a problem for a lot of artists, how is it that albums end up on download sites before their release? Someone close to the project has to be responsible for it otherwise how would you get a hold of the album? Is that fair to assume? Or would it be someone from their record company? Deadwing was out on download sites before its release as well and I have to admit I was extremely tempted.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:17 AM

[quote=Gibbersticks;272955]Well that wasn't very smart! It isn't really a good idea to tell artists or close friends of artists that you downloaded their stuff. Thats what you would call a conversation killer. QUOTE]

You sure as hell are right. That's why I allready pre-ordered the album. I hope am not setting the wrong example for those who don't buy the official album.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:46 AM

Hello Gavin,

just read your interview in MD. I have to admit Im not familiar with your drumming but your interview was one of those "fun to read" interviews (yes, that IS a compliment ;=) and really inspiring.

I would really like to check out some of your drumming/music, what do you reccomend?
Old 02-07-2007, 01:47 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Gibbersticks,
yes it happens because we have to send out copies to journalists to review the album so that it appears in the magazines around (or just before) the real release date.

Usually we digitally watermark the CD's so that the record company can see who has uploaded it.
I'm sure in a busy office of a magazine (where they're getting sent a lot of discs per week) some folks at the office look through the discs and take them home. That's probably when it happens.

It's very frustrating for us. BUT I hope the people who download it still buy the real thing....otherwise we've worked for months and months and spent lots of our money for nothing.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 02-07-2007, 02:35 AM

Hey Gavin

Well I have to say that I actually discovered PT by accident when downloading in something else. I saw the song in my received files and thought "what the hell is this?". It turned out to be Even Less and so I downloaded some more. Stupid Dream became a Huge hit in my house and with close friends so I tried to order it but it had been discontinued. I ended up ordering it from a Snapper records web store (can't remember the name). It ended up costing me $60 Canadian!!!! My wife wanted to kill me. LOL. My obsessions know no monetary bounds, my bank acct however does. And now you guys keep re-releasing albums in 5.1!!! Damn you anyway!

Cheers
Old 02-07-2007, 07:47 AM

Hi Gavin,
thanks for the clinic in Milan!
Beyond a useful "brain-training" (we've got no ideas coming from our muscles, as you told us), I enjoyed very much the Porcupine Tree's pieces: it was like a private concert :-)

Thanks again,
cheers.

Stefano Pan
Old 02-07-2007, 10:21 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi tomtom,
glad you enjoyed the interview.
The last two Porcupine Tree albums "In Absentia" and "Deadwing" may be worth hearing. There's a new one coming out in April too.

thanks for the message

Cheers
Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
Hello Gavin,

just read your interview in MD. I have to admit Im not familiar with your drumming but your interview was one of those "fun to read" interviews (yes, that IS a compliment ;=) and really inspiring.

I would really like to check out some of your drumming/music, what do you reccomend?
Old 02-07-2007, 08:55 PM

Hey Gavin,

Do you plan to release any more instructional dvd's in the future ? If you do, could you please consider (As DVD extras or maybe disc 2) including some PT tracks with the option to go drums only ? You do all this great drumming on these albums and it ends up getting covered up with singing and guitar ? Joking there. My point is ( and I think I speak for a large portion of your fan base) is that we would purchase "drums only" versions of your work in a heartbeat ! IS there a way for you to make these things avalable ? I am wondering why it is that drummers dont do this ?
Old 02-07-2007, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbersticks View Post
Hey Gavin

Well I have to say that I actually discovered PT by accident when downloading in something else. I saw the song in my received files and thought "what the hell is this?". It turned out to be Even Less and so I downloaded some more...
In retrospect, it's funny how you can discover some of your favourite bands through incidental channels - I was introduced to PT while playing a racing game on the Xbox! I remember tearing around Florence in a Porsche or something, and hearing this really cool track on one of the pseudo radio stations within the game. Turned out to be a little song called Strip The Soul by a band with a rather intriguing name!

Anyway, new album and tour can't come soon enough!

All best.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:11 PM

Hey Gavin!

I've got a quick question for you. How were the drums mixed for the new PT album? I'm guessing they were recorded in your home studio, but is the mix going to sound more dry like on Deadwing or more classic sounding like on In Absentia? I'm really looking forward to the new album and tour to follow!

Thanks,
Derek
Old 02-09-2007, 06:51 AM

Hey Gavin, I was just wondering if you have any formal training in various other instruments besides drum?(concert snare, tympani, marimba, xylo. etc.)
srry if you been asked this question before =(
Old 02-11-2007, 02:52 PM

Hey Gavin

I was at my local drum shop yesterday and I noticed this magazine called DRUMS ETC that is a free mag that is handed out in music stores across Canada. What got my attention was that there was a write up about the 2006 Montreal Drum Fest. Here is what they had to say about you:

"Gavin Harrison was known to some in the audience for his role in the popular band Porcupine Tree. Such control, such displacement of beats, such focus, and such deadly chops!"

All the drummers got just a quick blurb written about them, but yours definately had the most praise.

I had recommended PT to the guys at my drum shop a little while ago and it has caused quite a reaction. The guys that work the floor and the stores drum teacher have been going over the songs trying to figure stuff out. They were completely amazed that someone could take something so odd and make it sound so normal and relaxed.

Anyway cheers, and how about sending me a copy of the new album instead of those journalists who just end up uploading it to the net!!! PLEASE :-)

Daniel
Old 02-12-2007, 02:11 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Liquid_drummer,
I have no plans right now to make another DVD. My new DVD has only just been released.
I don't think the drums would make much sense on their own - without the music - but yes - they could be louder!!!!!!

Cheers
Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Drummer View Post
Do you plan to release any more instructional dvd's in the future ? If you do, could you please consider (As DVD extras or maybe disc 2) including some PT tracks with the option to go drums only ? You do all this great drumming on these albums and it ends up getting covered up with singing and guitar ?
Old 02-12-2007, 02:13 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi mr.beefhead,
personally I don't think the drums sound like either album..and yes they were recorded at my house.

Cheers
Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.beefhead View Post
I've got a quick question for you. How were the drums mixed for the new PT album? I'm guessing they were recorded in your home studio, but is the mix going to sound more dry like on Deadwing or more classic sounding like on In Absentia? I'm really looking forward to the new album and tour to follow!

Thanks,
Derek
Old 02-12-2007, 02:15 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi meandhimcallitus,
I didn't have any formal training in other instruments, although I can the bass, guitar and keyboards rather badly.

Cheers
Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandhimcallitus View Post
Hey Gavin, I was just wondering if you have any formal training in various other instruments besides drum?(concert snare, tympani, marimba, xylo. etc.)
srry if you been asked this question before =(
Old 02-12-2007, 04:21 PM

Hey Gavin

What would be really cool is (if PT does another Live DVD) if in the special features there was a drum cam feature where the camera stays on you playing some tracks. I have a few DVDs that do this and it is really cool.

When you played the Montreal drum fest did you bring your own drums or were some provides for you to your specifications?

Cheers
Daniel
Old 02-12-2007, 08:08 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Gibbersticks,
the kit was supplied by the Canadian distributor of Sonor for the Montreal Festival.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 02-16-2007, 07:34 PM

Hi Gavin
First, I must say, I love your playing and the band Porcupine Tree. Definetly a great combination, and the music you create is a breath of fresh air to the music scene.
I can hardly wait for the new release.

Question: I am curious on how you sequence with the videos used in the Porcupine Tree live shows. I know you're using a click but what I mean is, what is the equipment you are using. I use a click a lot in a few of the bands I play with for keyboard sequences and sound effects via midi or mini disk, but I'm puzzled on how you link up to video or more precise, the video equipment?. I guess my second question would be, do you control the equipment or does a tech do it?

As much as I love drumming, I love the tech side of things. :-)

Thanks,
glen thomas

Last edited by glen thomas; 02-16-2007 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:55 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Glen,
we use a VJ program called "Arkaos" on a Mac powerbook. It gets midi notes sent to it via our other computer that is also generating the click. In Arkaos you assign a film to a midi note. When it sees the incoming note it fires out that particular film. It waits for the midi note 'on' and plays the film until it sees a midi note 'off'.

I set up the offset during rehearsals so that the sync looks good between the music and the film. Pretty simple really.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 02-16-2007, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Hi Glen,
we use a VJ program called "Arkaos" on a Mac powerbook. It gets midi notes sent to it via our other computer that is also generating the click. In Arkaos you assign a film to a midi note. When it sees the incoming note it fires out that particular film. It waits for the midi note 'on' and plays the film until it sees a midi note 'off'.

I set up the offset during rehearsals so that the sync looks good between the music and the film. Pretty simple really.
Very cool. I'll look into that "Arkaos" software. What equipment do you use to project the images onto the screens you have on stage since the computers are the main controller?

I use to use midi on stage but had a problem with vibration causing the computer problems. I then switched to mini disc where it was able to take a bit more vibration from drum volume and band volume. I'd just record the midi tracks into WAV format on the right channel of the mini disc, and have a click on the left channel. Feed to front house is mono but it solved the problem I was experiencing. Have you experienced any glitches like that with vibration either locking the computer harddrive or making it skip?

glen :-)
Old 02-17-2007, 06:07 AM

Hey Gavin, I was recently on Sonors site and its been updated since the last time i was on it. I don't see anything about the designer series there now. Have they discontinued it? It seemed like it was incredibly customizable which i loved. When you go into their section about delite kits the banner on top of the page has a picture of you playing. I know you mentioned playing on a delite kit at the drum festival, but your kits are designers. I was just curious if you knew anything about what Sonor has been up to and if the designer line is done.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:05 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Glen,
we just use the video outputs on the Mac to connect to a projector. Yes I have had problems with computers and vibration on stage.

Hi deadwing_007,
The banner pictures on the Sonor site are randomly placed - they don't mean necessarily that I play DeLight...although my set in America is DeLight (and it's very nice too).
You can now find a fully customisable selection of all the types of Sonor shells on their site - it's called "SQ2". They have a 'configurator' that you use to design your own preferences of shell thickness - wood type - shell depth - colours - and hardware coating etc. I should have one in time for the next tour.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 02-17-2007, 06:31 PM
Silver Member

I checked out that SQ2 configurator the other day - wow is it customizable. you can do just about anything

also, I finally got my hands on deadwing (listening to mellotron scratch right now). its another great album, I can't wait for fear of a blank planet.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:01 PM

Thanks for the info Gavin. I priced those projectors.. Yikes.. they're pricey.
Buying one may cost me a marriage :-).haha.

Question: On the Porcupine Tree DVD are you using single stroke bass drum notes on the intro to "Mother and Child Divided"? It sounds like double strokes at one point but I'm not that savvy at double bass. :-)
Your execution of that groove is so tight yet fluent and the hi hat groove just adds an entirely different spin on it. (kinda Vinnie Colaiuta-ish) Any chance you have a transcription of that groove?:-)

Also, the entire band seems to kick in without any cue from you. Is the rest of the band listening to a click track also? Maybe I missed something. Excellent performance none the less.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:35 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Glen,
yes those are single strokes on the bass drum - I always use single strokes - and 99% of the time start with my right foot. I can't remember how we all come in together at the start - there is a click because of the film - I think maybe they have the count in in their headphones - I can't recall it right now.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 02-18-2007, 11:21 AM
Founder Drummerworld

Gavin appearing at the Musikmesse Frankfurt!!!

Agora Stage:

30.03.2007 - 10:30 - 11:00

30.03.2007 - 14:30 - 15:00

31.03.2007 - 15:30 - 16:00

Hope we will meet....

Bernhard
Old 02-18-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
Gavin appearing at the Musikmesse Frankfurt!!!

Agora Stage:

30.03.2007 - 10:30 - 11:00

30.03.2007 - 14:30 - 15:00

31.03.2007 - 15:30 - 16:00

Hope we will meet....

Bernhard
Ok.. who'll spot me plane fair??? :-) I'd love to be there but alas I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere. (Sault Ste. Marie, Canada)|o|
Old 02-18-2007, 06:06 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hey Bernhard,
I hope to see you there. If I'm not backstage setting up - I'll probably be at the Sonor stand.

Cheers
Gavin