DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 11-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Gavin,

Just received and watched the Octane Twisted DVD - very inspiring stuff, thank you! I noticed a few things - primarily that you took on the filming of the project yourself, at least managment-wise. Is this something you are interested in moving forward? Also, I noticed that there was much more of your drumming showcased in the DVD, rightfully so, was that intentional? Seems like the last DVD was lacking in the GH department, not sure why, but thank you for correcting the issue.
Finally, many thanks to you for your continued inspiration and your seemingly effortless playing, you are truly a gifted gentleman and it is very obvious you have poured your soul into your work. It shows in spades, good sir.

Best,
F
Old 11-26-2012, 10:13 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi SantiBanks

How are you clocking the units? Apogees slaving to the Motu clock or one of the apogees as master and the others as slaves?

The MOTU is the master clock. When I made one of Apogees the clock master I got a lot of digital glitches.

Hi Dustondrums

What height of beaters on your pedals? And what distance between beaters and bass drum head?

The beaters stick out 4" - that is to say I can measure 4" of the chrome pole. From the bass drum head to the middle of the beater is 7".

Hi FraserDrums

I would really love to play "The Sound Of Muzak" - Is there anyway possible for me to get my hands on a drum-less backing for the song? I would be more than willing to pay for this. Please reply even if the answer is no.

Sorry but the answer is no.

Hi Florian

Just received and watched the Octane Twisted DVD - very inspiring stuff, thank you! I noticed a few things - primarily that you took on the filming of the project yourself, at least managment-wise. Is this something you are interested in moving forward?

Apart from playing our instruments - some jobs in the band need to be dealt with by one of the members. It just so happened that I had some experience with video production (having made a few drum DVDs myself) so I volunteered to look after that part of it.

Also, I noticed that there was much more of your drumming showcased in the DVD, rightfully so, was that intentional?

No - there just wasn't that much footage to edit between. I think there was only 4 or 5 cameras - compared to the 18 we used on our previous DVD.

cheers
Gavin
Old 11-28-2012, 04:25 PM

Hi Gavin

Have you found something close in sound to that old 1940´s ride cymbal you used to play?

Thanks for your time
Gustavo
Old 11-29-2012, 07:01 AM

Hey Gavin,

Recently viewed a video of you testing out Zildjian's Gen16 cymbals. I'm sorry but those cymbals sounded very disappointing. Nowhere near the brilliance or depth of your other cymbals. What was your impression with them? Judging by the video and your facial expressions, it didn't seem like you were too happy with them either. Of course, that could have just been your "I'm in the concentration zone" face. haha

Also, I had a question about your ghost note rolls you do. Let's take the Unsettled snare intro... sounds like an open stroke roll, maybe 5 or 7 strokes? I also noticed that in the beginning of Beyond the A -- it sounds like a 5 stroke roll on the snare, followed by the same on the bass drum... I guess it all depends on the song, and how long you want the fill to be... silly question on my part..

Thanks for your time Gavin

Eric

** CORRECTION ** -- I ran through the comments on the video and did not realize you were playing electronic cymbals!? With that in mind, I'll rephrase the question to "So, how did you like them?"

Last edited by euphoric_anomaly; 12-01-2012 at 08:12 AM. Reason: new factual evidence supporting original question
Old 12-02-2012, 12:17 AM

Thanks for your answer :)
Do you happen to know where I might be able to buy Dizrythmia? Its so difficult to find as its out of print and nobody seems to have it in stock :(
Also, any news on the big band project and the surround version of drop?
Old 12-02-2012, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantiBanks View Post
Thanks for your answer :)
Do you happen to know where I might be able to buy Dizrythmia? Its so difficult to find as its out of print and nobody seems to have it in stock :(
It's for sale (new and used) on Amazon Dizrhythmia
Old 12-05-2012, 02:00 AM

Hi Gavin,
I recently watched the music video for Bonnie The Cat. I noticed that there was something strange with it. It sounds like its faster, and up a few semitones. Why is this?
Heres the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJxP0AkTa2s
Old 12-07-2012, 11:00 PM
Silver Member

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for answering my last question. Just wondering are any of your DVD's useful as a kind of visual accompaniment to a book like The New Breed by Gary Chester?

I'm a drummer who picks up stuff better by ear and viewing than reading (at this stage anyway). Does any of the material on the DVDs crossover to the kind of independence instruction in the New Breed book?
Old 12-11-2012, 02:05 AM

Hey Gavin!

I want to start practicing the book syncopation. I don't have a teacher. Do you have any good approach or "system" to practice it? It's just a bunch of patterns, I need some guidance on what to do with it. I'd be grateful if you could share a few tips on how to approach it.

Thanks
Old 12-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrummer View Post
Hey Gavin!

I want to start practicing the book syncopation. I don't have a teacher. Do you have any good approach or "system" to practice it? It's just a bunch of patterns, I need some guidance on what to do with it. I'd be grateful if you could share a few tips on how to approach it.

Thanks
Get this book: The Drummer's Complete Vocabulary As Taught by Alan Dawson

It goes over a bunch of different ways to approach "Syncopation".
Old 12-14-2012, 04:49 AM

Gavin: I saw that you're going to be in Chicago on Jan. 31 for a drum clinic. Can you tell us what else you'll be doing while you're in the States? Any other clinics planned, for example?

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2012, 01:09 AM

Hello Gavin! I´m drummer from Buenos Aires, Argentina. Your music and videos were, and you are a great inspiration in my drumming studies and performances. The way you play ghost strokes, or hit your small cymbals, or move into complex time signatures is really the key influences in my style of playing. You are the Roger Federer of drums!!
Two months ago I released the first track of my drumming dvd, and obviously it can´t be another that “19 days”. I know that lot of people has recorded it, but it would be an honour to me if you can see it and say a few words, I swear that it´s different than others, I dedicated 6 months only to this song to aply all that I´ve learned from you!!
Here is the link:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLlWaYBSMCE

Hope to hear you! (and sorry for my english)
Old 12-15-2012, 01:20 AM
Platinum Member

Mike, that is a very impressive first post of yours (your link!).
Welcome to the forum.
Tell us more about your drumming DVD (post in another section though).
Old 12-15-2012, 05:52 AM

Gavin has stated many times that he does not give analysis of other peoples drumming videos. Just letting you know ahead of time.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:28 AM
Silver Member

Hey Gavin,

just got my "Octane Twisted" - loving it!!!!

I've got another question about recording with the Mackie.
Do you have your drumset pre-mixed on the mackie desk with EQ and volume and pass that signal via the direct-outs to the computer? Or do you have everything set to unity and mix it completely on the computer?
And also, how do you set up your monitor mix? Using the mix-b section?

Thanks a lot :)

David
Old 12-15-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Buenaventura Lima View Post
Hello Gavin! I´m drummer from Buenos Aires, Argentina. Your music and videos were, and you are a great inspiration in my drumming studies and performances. The way you play ghost strokes, or hit your small cymbals, or move into complex time signatures is really the key influences in my style of playing. You are the Roger Federer of drums!!
Two months ago I released the first track of my drumming dvd, and obviously it can´t be another that “19 days”. I know that lot of people has recorded it, but it would be an honour to me if you can see it and say a few words, I swear that it´s different than others, I dedicated 6 months only to this song to aply all that I´ve learned from you!!
Here is the link:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLlWaYBSMCE

Hope to hear you! (and sorry for my english)
The first cover I've seen that comes close to the original IMO. Gavin hits a lot harder on the accented stuff but other than that this is great.

Gavin you better watch this.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:35 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Gus

Have you found something close in sound to that old 1940´s ride cymbal you used to play?

Not yet - and I doubt that I ever will. It was a very unique cymbal.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

I had a question about your ghost note rolls you do. Let's take the Unsettled snare intro... sounds like an open stroke roll, maybe 5 or 7 strokes? I also noticed that in the beginning of Beyond the A -- it sounds like a 5 stroke roll on the snare, followed by the same on the bass drum... I guess it all depends on the song, and how long you want the fill to be... silly question on my part..

At the start of "Unsettled" there are eight 32nd notes played rrllrrll. "Beyond The A" there are only four 32nd notes again played as doubles followed by four 32nd notes on the bass drum played as singles.

Hi SantiBanks

It's been out of print for a long time. The new Dizrhythmia record is nearly finished and we hope to have it out early next year. The big band project is still going on - but it's very slow hard work. No plans to make Drop in surround right now.

Hi JakkP

I recently watched the music video for Bonnie The Cat. I noticed that there was something strange with it. It sounds like its faster, and up a few semitones. Why is this?

I have no idea. It's certainly running fast. I imagine a technical problem where perhaps the 44.1k file ended up being played at 48k by mistake.

Hi Souljacker

Just wondering are any of your DVD's useful as a kind of visual accompaniment to a book like The New Breed by Gary Chester?Does any of the material on the DVDs crossover to the kind of independence instruction in the New Breed book?

No. My recommendation to you is to get a teacher and learn to read. You're missing out on a lot of great and important stuff by not reading.

Hi EvilDrummer

As DrummingSortOfPerson mentioned - get the Alan Dawson book and work your way through that.

Hi tmccartney

I saw that you're going to be in Chicago on Jan. 31 for a drum clinic. Can you tell us what else you'll be doing while you're in the States? Any other clinics planned, for example?

there may be 2 or 3 others but I'm just waiting for confirmation before I announce them.

Hi Kalma

I've got another question about recording with the Mackie.
Do you have your drumset pre-mixed on the mackie desk with EQ and volume and pass that signal via the direct-outs to the computer? Or do you have everything set to unity and mix it completely on the computer?And also, how do you set up your monitor mix? Using the mix-b section?

Obviously the volume level that I send to the computer is set by the Mackie. No pre-mixing - but there are little bits of EQ going on before it gets routed to the computer. All the mixing is done inside Logic - and yes I monitor through the "B-Mix"

cheers
Gavin
Old 12-16-2012, 02:52 PM

Hi Guys im new to this forum.
Im currently looking at buying an sq2 and also love the sound and setup of Gavin Harrisons kit.- Like everyone else im struggling with what shell thickness and wood etc.
I see Gavin has now changed his rack toms to medium and was wondering what the difference this makes in sound?
The type of sounds i like are tight crisp sounds on the racks down to deep rumbles on the floor toms - crisp sounds on the snare and a deep punch on the kick.
so i was thinking heavy on the bass, medium on the floor toms and snare but not sure about the rack toms?
Wood - maybe maple but have no idea? - not sure what wood Gavin uses??
(I very nearly bought a Roland Td-30kv this weekend but when i tried it out the cymbals and hi - hat were terrible!! - so im back to acoustic) ( i play in a rock covers band - and have had a sonor performer for the last 20 years!!)
Any help will be much appreciated! (especially from you Gavin??)
Regards
Richard

........Also - In Gavins "Chicken" video (late 2011/2012) does any one know what thickness his rack toms are caus i like the sounds they produce! (I think they maybe Thin or medium?)
Richard

Last edited by Bernhard; 12-16-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: merging posts
Old 12-17-2012, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by townmills View Post
Hi Guys im new to this forum.
Im currently looking at buying an sq2 and also love the sound and setup of Gavin Harrisons kit.- Like everyone else im struggling with what shell thickness and wood etc.
I see Gavin has now changed his rack toms to medium and was wondering what the difference this makes in sound?
The type of sounds i like are tight crisp sounds on the racks down to deep rumbles on the floor toms - crisp sounds on the snare and a deep punch on the kick.
so i was thinking heavy on the bass, medium on the floor toms and snare but not sure about the rack toms?
Wood - maybe maple but have no idea? - not sure what wood Gavin uses??
(I very nearly bought a Roland Td-30kv this weekend but when i tried it out the cymbals and hi - hat were terrible!! - so im back to acoustic) ( i play in a rock covers band - and have had a sonor performer for the last 20 years!!)
Any help will be much appreciated! (especially from you Gavin??)
Regards
Richard

........Also - In Gavins "Chicken" video (late 2011/2012) does any one know what thickness his rack toms are caus i like the sounds they produce! (I think they maybe Thin or medium?)
Richard
Hey Richard,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Harrison

Under equipment you will find his latest drum kit specs. Shell type, etc. Hope this helps..Eric
Old 12-17-2012, 05:08 PM
Senior Administrator

Hello Gavin - I have all your dvds and books plus all of Porcupine tree cds and the dvd. Very inspirational and educational. The only other drummer I know who strikes this balance so well is Steve Smith.
Somewhere in all that great resource there is a section of you talking about your mic approach. It is very scientific - that is you keep certain conditions constant and then judge the results from the variable. Same snare, same eq and compression etc, same mic position but then different mics and then collect the results and listen back.
I believe this could be the tip of a very big iceberg. I would love to see (I mean hear) this scientific approach applied to all elements of drum and cymbal sound. Imagine a DVD project where you took a bass drum, for example, and showed how varying the tension on the front and back heads made a difference, and how this difference sounded with different makes of head and then a third dimension: started varying the size and length of the drum and even the amount of muffling. What difference does 4 8 12 16 20 24 and 40 strands of snare wire make to exactly the same snare drum? How does a maple snare differ from a birch snare of the same proportions and tuning? What does a dry cymbal sound like and how can you make a cymbal even drier? Lathed and unlathed. Different types of bronze, cymbal profiles. Plus your advice for cutting down or modifying cymbals. What do three toms sound like tuned to exact notes, tuned to precise intervals (3rds or 5ths). And then of course mic technique and effects. A section on the differences between an acoustic kit, a live kit (for a small and then a large venue) and a studio kit. Perhaps also a section examining actual tuning for certain ideals - i.e.: tuning for brushes, tuning for the Bonham sound, tuning for bebop, tuning for the 80s snare sound etc.
I imagine that such a DVD would be very valuable and of course involve a lot of equipment. I can think of few drummers more qualified to make it.
I have an extensive book and DVD collection and the closest to this I have seen is Jeff ocheltree's dvd - which was frankly disappointing as it was mostly an advert for jeff ochltree. What I'm - what I believe we all are - craving, is a detailed no nonsense comparative scientific look at drum and cymbal sound that will help inform our shopping, our kit building and our personal sound creation.
I bet if you got in touch with Paul Siegel and rob Wallis they would back this. How about it?

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 12-17-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoric_anomaly View Post
Hey Richard,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Harrison

Under equipment you will find his latest drum kit specs. Shell type, etc. Hope this helps..Eric
Thanks very much Eric!
Old 12-18-2012, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by townmills View Post
Thanks very much Eric!
You're very welcome :) Glad I could be of assistance
Old 12-21-2012, 04:14 AM

Gavin!

I'm wondering about something. If Dream Theater would have called you to the auditions they held a while ago, how do you think you'd do? Could you have played that stuff? (Would you have been interested to do it even :p )?

My guess is you would have been amazing.

If you haven't seen the audition documentaries, they are on youtube, It's very entertaining for drummers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L609J...FB72D7AC4FB61D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vaDfcKzLbY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QHMQ...FB72D7AC4FB61D
Old 12-21-2012, 04:30 AM

Gavin, or whoever answers first,

During the chaotic (yet beautifully structured) thrash part of Anesthesize (11:18), I think I figured out what gavin is doing. I believe he is doing 32nds on the bass, 16ths on the snare, and 8ths or quarters on the china.

I could be horribly wrong, but that's just my take on it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoric_anomaly View Post
Gavin, or whoever answers first,

During the chaotic (yet beautifully structured) thrash part of Anesthesize (11:18), I think I figured out what gavin is doing. I believe he is doing 32nds on the bass, 16ths on the snare, and 8ths or quarters on the china.

I could be horribly wrong, but that's just my take on it.

Thanks in advance.
Ok it's 32th on the bass drum, dotted eights one the snare and quarter on the china ... i'm pretty sure about it .
Old 12-23-2012, 09:01 PM

Hi Gavin

How many hours MUST for effective daily practicing ?
I know it's cliche question but what's your opinion based on your experience .
Thanks
Old 12-24-2012, 03:29 PM

Hi Gavin,
got a question regrading your sticks: I tried one pair, what I really like is, that they are better ballanced than the sticks I play (ghostnotes came great and easy). The shape and the transition / neck from the tip to shoulder is great too. Also VicGrip is fine, only thing I have a problem with, is the thickness. I usually play 5Bs or simular types. I came down from 2s and 3s some time ago as I feel I can play more versatile and with more feeling with a slimmer stick.
Do you know if VicFirth produce a simular model like yours, just a little slimmer? I couldnt find anything on their site. Or did you have a stick from a different maker in mind, when you started your signature stick with VicFirth?

Keep up your great work, Gavin.
And a Merry Christmas to everyone on DrummerWorld.

Kind regards
Stef

Last edited by heaven'stef; 12-25-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sina View Post
Hi Gavin

Thanks
How long is a rope?

...I think the more you practice the better to a certain point. That point would be somewhere around where you start to hurt your body from too much practice. Or you start to become physically ill because of the isolation from other people.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:49 PM

Hi Gavin,

Happy Holidays!!

Glad to hear you come to Holland with O5Ric.
See you there on the 1st of March ;)

One thing I wondered for sometime is that you once mentioned that the way you hold your sticks is not how it is learned by any drumbooks. With the small finger almost at the end of the stick.

Do you feel this was an advantage for you or a disadvantage?
I can imagine it came naturally for you but what would you advice someone who is starting to learn drums. Go strictly by the book or find that what works best for yourself.
I myself have changed my grip many times, sometimes just slightly to get what feels most comfortable for me.

Can you imagine yourself changing your grip drastically like Dave Weckl did some years ago, to his 'natural evolution' grip.

Cheers
Old 12-28-2012, 07:21 AM

Hey Gavin! I'd like to first start off with saying that I hope everyone has had/ is still having a relaxing holiday season, and drinking up some egg nog. That stuff's good!

So, three questions I'd like to place on the table this time around. (And it's been along time since I last posted.)

1) I feel as though I already know the answer to this, but it doesn't hurt to ask (as my mom always tells me). So, is there any remote possibility of you and Zildjian EVER releasing your prototype crash bells to be bought and played by the drummers of this planet (and possibly other planets) that idolize your playing? I'd love to get my hands on a 9" version of your crash bells, for that one is my favorite.

2) I've been listening to The Man Who Sold Himself a lot lately ('cuz it's just so darn rhythm-tastic!), and the song 'Way' stands out as one of my favorites on the album. What I'd like to know is, when playing the two verses where Ric sings (beginning and end), do you have a specific sticking for all of the ghost notes in between your ride hits and main snare hits? I figure there has to be something to it...

3) Are you and Terry at all planning on releasing transcriptions of the whole TMWSH album, like how you did Rhythmic Designs?

Once again, thank you for answering our questions.

Cheers --Peter
Old 12-28-2012, 12:06 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrummer View Post
Gavin!

I'm wondering about something. If Dream Theater would have called you to the auditions they held a while ago, how do you think you'd do? Could you have played that stuff? (Would you have been interested to do it even :p )?

My guess is you would have been amazing.

If you haven't seen the audition documentaries, they are on youtube, It's very entertaining for drummers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L609J...FB72D7AC4FB61D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vaDfcKzLbY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QHMQ...FB72D7AC4FB61D
Hi Evil

What do you expect from Gavin to answer? Should he say, yes, should he say no?
All drummers at the audition were great - congrats to Mike. Of course Gavin would have been a number one choice ...after been voted as No.1 Prog Drummer in the world.
So we never know and that's ok for me....

Bernhard
Old 12-28-2012, 02:55 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi NUTHA JASON

Somewhere in all that great resource there is a section of you talking about your mic approach. It is very scientific - that is you keep certain conditions constant and then judge the results from the variable. Same snare, same eq and compression etc, same mic position but then different mics and then collect the results and listen back.
I believe this could be the tip of a very big iceberg.
I imagine that such a DVD would be very valuable and of course involve a lot of equipment. I can think of few drummers more qualified to make it.
How about it?

Yes it's something I have spent a long time doing here in my studio over the past 16 years. I have done some of tests that you described. It is of course very time consuming but I have benefited from it - and continue to do so. I'm still making experiments with drums/mics/effects even now. I must admit that my enthusiasm for making such DVDs where I spend 100's of hours making them (only to find them all over the net on free download sites) has pretty much eroded away. I know there are many people who buy them and are happy to do so - but there's nothing quite like seeing your life's work given away on peer to peer servers to really dishearten you. It's not really even the money - but the fact that some folks have decided to give it a value of ZERO. - sorry for the rant.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

Quarter notes on the cymbal - dotted 8ths on the snare drum - and runs of four 32nds on the bass drum.
Name:  AnesthetizeHeavy.jpg
Views: 2582
Size:  41.8 KB

Hi sina

it depends how good you want to be. I would say at least 2 hours a day.

Hi heaven'stef

got a question regrading your sticks: I tried one pair, what I really like is, that they are better ballanced than the sticks I play (ghostnotes came great and easy). The shape and the transition / neck from the tip to shoulder is great too. Also VicGrip is fine, only thing I have a problem with, is the thickness.
Do you know if VicFirth produce a simular model like yours, just a little slimmer?

not as far as I know. Check out the Aaron Spears ones.

Hi Drizzle

One thing I wondered for sometime is that you once mentioned that the way you hold your sticks is not how it is learned by any drumbooks. With the small finger almost at the end of the stick.Do you feel this was an advantage for you or a disadvantage?

Obviously I don't think it's a disadvantage - it works for me in certain heavy volume situations. My Left and Right grip are different anyway.

I can imagine it came naturally for you but what would you advice someone who is starting to learn drums. Go strictly by the book or find that what works best for yourself.

If someone is just starting then I would suggest to get a teacher and learn a good grip. Traditional and matched. Your grip will naturally evolve over time as your playing experience increases.

Can you imagine yourself changing your grip drastically like Dave Weckl did some years ago, to his 'natural evolution' grip.

Not at the moment - but there may come a time were I want to try a new grip. Maybe if I found myself playing in different situations to the ones I'm in now.

Hi K_HiHats

1) I feel as though I already know the answer to this, but it doesn't hurt to ask (as my mom always tells me). So, is there any remote possibility of you and Zildjian EVER releasing your prototype crash bells to be bought and played by the drummers of this planet (and possibly other planets) that idolize your playing? I'd love to get my hands on a 9" version of your crash bells, for that one is my favorite.

As far as I know - there's no plans to release any of those little cymbals for commercial sale.

2) I've been listening to The Man Who Sold Himself a lot lately ('cuz it's just so darn rhythm-tastic!), and the song 'Way' stands out as one of my favorites on the album. What I'd like to know is, when playing the two verses where Ric sings (beginning and end), do you have a specific sticking for all of the ghost notes in between your ride hits and main snare hits? I figure there has to be something to it...

I think it's something like this: R l r l r r l r L r r l r r l l

3) Are you and Terry at all planning on releasing transcriptions of the whole TMWSH album, like how you did Rhythmic Designs?

Sorry - not at the moment.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 12-28-2012, 10:08 PM

Hi Gavin,

Hope you had a nice Christmas with the family :) I was curious what ride cymbal you used for the song Drag Ropes (Storm Corrosion)? It has this nice dark and kinda light trashy quality. Suites the song very nice. What is it?

Cheers
Santi
Old 12-30-2012, 02:28 PM
Senior Administrator

Quote:
Yes it's something I have spent a long time doing here in my studio over the past 16 years. I have done some of tests that you described. It is of course very time consuming but I have benefited from it - and continue to do so. I'm still making experiments with drums/mics/effects even now. I must admit that my enthusiasm for making such DVDs where I spend 100's of hours making them (only to find them all over the net on free download sites) has pretty much eroded away. I know there are many people who buy them and are happy to do so - but there's nothing quite like seeing your life's work given away on peer to peer servers to really dishearten you. It's not really even the money - but the fact that some folks have decided to give it a value of ZERO. - sorry for the rant.
no - rant away. the very fact that a guy of your calibre with your experience is discouraged by freeloaders shows just how indisious their theft really is. i have an enormous collection of books and dvds and i don't own one of those peer to peer accounts. it saddens me that artists are discouraged or even underfunded because the days of honest buying are nearly over. how many great pieces of music, paintings etc are we missing becuase the industry is no longer as viable? i hope there is an innovation around the corner that will prevent this artistic entropy.
maybe one day i will afford to book a lesson with you - perhaps that is the best i can hope for.
j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 01-02-2013, 12:52 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi SantiBanks

I was curious what ride cymbal you used for the song Drag Ropes (Storm Corrosion)? It has this nice dark and kinda light trashy quality. Suites the song very nice. What is it?

It's a 22" Crash Of Doom Zildjian prototype. It just so happens to be a really nice ride cymbal when I play it softly.

Meanwhile folks here's the next bit of touring I'll be doing with 05Ric and the boys.

1/March Zoetermeer - NL - Borderij
2/March Munster - DE - Hot Jazz Club
4/March Rostok - DE - Mau Club
5/March Kassel - DE -*Schlachthof
6/March Reichenbach - DE - BergKeller
9/March Roma - IT - Stazione Birra
10/March Prato - IT - Keller
12/March Munich - DE - Orangehouse
13/March Prague - CZ - Nova Chmelnice
14/March Bratislava - SK - Randal

if you know people who live in those areas please let them know we're coming.

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!

cheers
Gavin

Last edited by Gavin Harrison; 01-12-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
if you know people who live in those areas please let them know we're coming.

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!
Living 20 minutes from Munster :) Definitely will be there and bring some folks!

Happy new year to you, gavin!

David
Old 01-02-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi SantiBanks

I was curious what ride cymbal you used for the song Drag Ropes (Storm Corrosion)? It has this nice dark and kinda light trashy quality. Suites the song very nice. What is it?

It's a 22" Crash Of Doom Zildjian prototype. It just so happens to be a really nice ride cymbal when I play it softly.
It sounds awesome! Happy new year for you and your family Gavin! I will see you in de Boerderij :)
Old 01-05-2013, 07:22 PM

Hi Gavin,

You have a priceless quote in Rhythmic Illusions, "If you play this kind of an illusion during a dance band gig - the bass player will hit you..." I love the ideas in Rhythmic Illusions, I've actually spent many hours on it at a time without having noticed time go by but how do I apply them in a normal situation without the bass player hitting me?

Thanks for all your work!
Old 01-06-2013, 07:20 PM

Hey Gavin,

I recently signed up for one of the master classes at Vic's on the 30th. I was just wondering what to expect from it. Is it going to be based more off of questions from participants or do you have areas that you plan to explore? Regardless, I can't wait until the event and I look forward to meeting you!

--Branndon
Old 01-07-2013, 08:46 PM

Gavin,

I recently purchased OSI's "Fire make Thunder" and I must say it's an excellent album. I have a question about the song "Guards".

When the distorted guitar kicks in @ 1:16, you do what sounds like dotted 8th's on the china. Now, as musically ignorant as I'am, I'm only guessing they are dotted 8ths. But it sounds great. From what I remember you saying, a dotted 8th note is 1 and 1/2 times the beat... or something to that extent... lol

Another question about playing with OSI, do you find the electronic drums (made by the keyboard) to be helpful or distracting? Also, your playing with OSI seems more straight and forward with beats whereas with PT it seems you have a lot more freedom to throw in poly rhythms, displacements, off-time ride cymbal hits etc...

Thanks for your time Gavin
Eric