DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 06-01-2012, 05:48 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Gavin,

If you could play anything anywhere -- lead your own band, back up an artist, anything besides Porcupine Tree, what would you do? I'm sure you've been asked this before, but have your feelings changed or are you even sure? Would you play in your favorite idiom/genre? Do you have a favorite idiom?

Best wishes,

Nerflad
Old 06-01-2012, 11:37 AM

Hello Gavin,
Francesco from Rome here...
I was listening to Cheating The Polygraph, from Anesthetize live... well that's awesome!
Anyway, I wanted to be sure if the time signature I figured out was correct, so:
7/16 for the verses (or 7/8, if you consider the snare accent off beat in the same measure);
5/8 for chorus and instrumentals (with a cool rythmic illusion in the last part, playing 1/4 accents on HH).
Also i noticed the final groove (when you hit the left snare rim) is quite identical to Slippin' away's intro.
Please correct me if I'm wrong on these things, it would be really great to have a confirm from YOU!
Thank you for your kindness =)
Old 06-02-2012, 04:59 AM

Hi Gavin

( first: Sorry for my bad english)

I Have a Question about Timekeeping.I want to to know what you are thinking about all these years of experience in the industry.
My problem is, that when ever we have problem with the tempo in the band, the drummer is always the one who "made the mistake".Last time the guitarplayer sad: " its your job to keep the time.
But i think , that i(as a drummer) of course need a very good time, but while i am playing i am listening to the rest of the band. So i Think the time-feeling of the band is as good as all players together.Sometimes i think other players think we are there metronom and the can sit on us....and do and play whatever they want....... like... Time problem= Rhytme problems= Drummer ....

Have you ever made same experience with other players?....

I remember that thomas lang said at clinic:" what ever we do... its always the drummer .)

Thank for you time

Michel
Old 06-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Wow - 1 million views on a single thread - must be a record worldwide.....thanks to Gavin!!!

Bernhard
Old 06-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
Wow - 1 million views on a single thread - must be a record worldwide.....thanks to Gavin!!!

Bernhard
Yes, a milestone indeed! I'm consistently impressed with Gavin's patronage of this forum. For such a busy & revered guy to take such time out, says much about the man.

Just in case he doesn't look in here before Tuesday, I'll be at his Cardiff gig, & if I get the chance, I'll inform him of this impressive total :)

Bernhard - the gig's on the coast ;)
Old 06-02-2012, 08:34 PM

Hey there Gavin, care to share your pedal settings such as the spring tension, beater angle/distance and footboard angle? Been trying to get loud, powerful strokes out of the kick drum, are there any minor things such as seat height, position of the foot on the pedal, etc. that helped you with playing your kit?

Regards,
Zach.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:29 AM

Gavin,

Any chance we are going to see you tour in the US?????

Thank you for the great music you've shared with us all !!

Curtis
Old 06-04-2012, 08:24 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volentry View Post
Hey there Gavin, care to share your pedal settings such as the spring tension, beater angle/distance and footboard angle? Been trying to get loud, powerful strokes out of the kick drum, are there any minor things such as seat height, position of the foot on the pedal, etc. that helped you with playing your kit?

Regards,
Zach.
Hey there, I guess he already shared his settings somewhere. Search the thread or check out askgavinharrison.com :) (beatiful site)

A good method to get the bassdrum louder, is to turn the rest down.. :)
Old 06-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Silver Member

Hi Gavin,

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the GH / 05Ric Band show in Manchester last night! It was amazing to see you pull off that music live - no mean feat. I thought you played superbly & I think you really enjoyed the challenge...

Mix - just wanted to let you know that people I spoke to all thought the vocals needed to come up in the mix. I don't know if you're using your own engineer, but I hope you don't mind me mentioning it.

Your kit sounded beautiful as ever... what Ride were you using?

I hope people get out & see this tour in the next few days because the music is truly progressive & it literally expands your mind & conciousness listening to music like this.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richkenyon View Post
Hi Gavin,

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the GH / 05Ric Band show in Manchester last night! It was amazing to see you pull off that music live - no mean feat. I thought you played superbly & I think you really enjoyed the challenge...

Mix - just wanted to let you know that people I spoke to all thought the vocals needed to come up in the mix. I don't know if you're using your own engineer, but I hope you don't mind me mentioning it.

I hope people get out & see this tour in the next few days because the music is truly progressive & it literally expands your mind & conciousness listening to music like this.
Great to hear! I'm going to the Cardiff gig tomorrow night, & I'm taking the whole family :) I hope the vocal levels are up, because part of the magic is how the vocals flow over the bar. Am I the only one who thinks the singer sounds like Bowie?
Old 06-04-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojojojojo View Post
Hey guys,

Simon Phillips got me to the finals of Zildjian Drummer Love in Germany.
If you like my video ,please share the link and tell everybody.

p.s.:

Did you recognize a few fills?

:)

http://zildjian.com/DrummerLoveEuro/...e/germany-vote

Thx Gavin for sharing your knowledge!
Hey Joel, great video! I was wondering, what hi hats are you using?
Old 06-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Great to hear! I'm going to the Cardiff gig tomorrow night, & I'm taking the whole family :) I hope the vocal levels are up, because part of the magic is how the vocals flow over the bar. Am I the only one who thinks the singer sounds like Bowie?
Yes - later Bowie for sure & he reminded me of Jeff Buckley at times last night, when things got super-intense. Beautiful.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:07 PM

Hi Gavin,

do you usually hit the snare with a rim shot or just "normal" ?

Best Regards

Paul
Old 06-05-2012, 04:19 PM

Gavin,

When your drumkit is being set up for a live performance do you get the chance to jump in there and adjust heights/distances of cymbal stands and the drums themselves? Also, about how long (on average) does it take for everything to be ready to go, drums/mics/sound tests?

Thanks
Eric
Old 06-05-2012, 11:28 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi NerfLad

If you could play anything anywhere -- lead your own band, back up an artist, anything besides Porcupine Tree, what would you do? I'm sure you've been asked this before, but have your feelings changed or are you even sure? Would you play in your favorite idiom/genre? Do you have a favorite idiom?

This week I've been touring with 05Ric playing the incredibly hard material we wrote over the last 5 years. It's been a real enjoyable challenge. Some crazy drum patterns that I thought I'd never play live on stage with any band. I don't really have a favourite genre, I just like it when it grooves and has nice dynamic shapes.

Hi Bonzo92

I was listening to Cheating The Polygraph, from Anesthetize live... well that's awesome!
Anyway, I wanted to be sure if the time signature I figured out was correct, so:
7/16 for the verses (or 7/8, if you consider the snare accent off beat in the same measure); 5/8 for chorus and instrumentals (with a cool rythmic illusion in the last part, playing 1/4 accents on HH). Also i noticed the final groove (when you hit the left snare rim) is quite identical to Slippin' away's intro.

Yes you have it correct !!!

Hi swissdrummer

My problem is, that when ever we have problem with the tempo in the band, the drummer is always the one who "made the mistake".Last time the guitarplayer sad: " its your job to keep the time.
But i think , that i(as a drummer) of course need a very good time, but while i am playing i am listening to the rest of the band. So i Think the time-feeling of the band is as good as all players together.Sometimes i think other players think we are there metronom and the can sit on us....and do and play whatever they want....... like... Time problem= Rhytme problems= Drummer ....

I understand your problem and have been there many times. Sometimes you have to fight the players who are rushing or dragging - and if they drive you nuts then you have to play to a metronome and don't listen to them. The better musicians that I have played with tend to to play more in time and you don't have to battle with them to make the tempo feel good.

Hi Volentry

I have been asked this a few times and all I can say is that the spring is pretty much medium to loose. The beaters are about 45 degrees - but the seat height and how far away from the pedals you are - is very personal thing. Mainly to do with how tall you are and how long your legs are.

Hi cboggs

Any chance we are going to see you tour in the US?????

Myself and 05Ric would love to bring the band to the States (and everywhere else too) but a lot of it comes down to logistics and budgets. If we can - we will - but there's no plans right at this moment.

Hi richkenyon

Thanks - really glad you enjoyed.

It's one of the new K Custom Dark Complex Rides 20" - and I'm really happy with it.

Hi totopaul

do you usually hit the snare with a rim shot or just "normal" ?

pretty much every back beat is a rimshot. I prefer the attack to that sound.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

When your drumkit is being set up for a live performance do you get the chance to jump in there and adjust heights/distances of cymbal stands and the drums themselves? Also, about how long (on average) does it take for everything to be ready to go, drums/mics/sound tests?

Of course I can adjust anything I want - but my tech Jason sets it up pretty much 99% identical every night so I don't feel the need. I think Jason can build the kit up in about 20 minutes and then the sound man will mic all the drums (which takes about another 15 minutes).

Cheers
Gavin

...and by the way - thanks for the million views folks!!!!
Old 06-06-2012, 12:07 AM
Platinum Member

Just got back from your Cardiff gig Gavin, & I brought two of the four girls in the audience ;) ;) ;) BTW, both girls love odd sig's :)

Great show! Not really knowing the band's stuff, I came with an open mind. Quietly thinking it was going to be a drums weighted show, but I was wrong. This is a band that's got substance behind the talent, & a cohesive punch that's infectious. The whole was greater than the sum of it's parts, & that's always a sign of something worth keeping. IMO, more appealing live than my first impression of the recorded material. A touch of added grit always helps bite through the complexity.

Anyhow, two sound gripes. Vocals way too low, toms very attack biased.

We all had fun Gavin, & the youngest girl (19), wants to see you guys again :)
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2012, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volentry View Post

Regards,
Zach.
Hi Zach!

Please check http://askgavinharrison.com/ before asking.
It's some kind of Most-Asked Questions Database ;)

Cheers,

Vladimer
Old 06-06-2012, 03:34 AM

Hello Michel! ;)

There are a lot of general and useful infos:

http://www.drummerforum.de/forum/496...ar-fragen.html

Cheers,
Vladimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissdrummer View Post
Hi Gavin

( first: Sorry for my bad english)

I Have a Question about Timekeeping.I want to to know what you are thinking about all these years of experience in the industry.

Have you ever made same experience with other players?....

I remember that thomas lang said at clinic:" what ever we do... its always the drummer .)

Thank for you time

Michel
Old 06-06-2012, 03:44 PM

Amazing show last night Gav. Thoroughly enjoyed it! Thanks for posing for a photo and signing my drumstick - it's now priceless!

Also, there was a song and I think it was called 'Scar' that you said was being played for the first time. I personally thought that was one of the better songs! Should be kept in there!
Old 06-06-2012, 07:58 PM

Hi Gavin!
Here comes another question regarding double bass drum pedals. Just curious if you had any issues with heel parts of pedals (mostly with Axis and Tama's)? There are some rumours, that heel block issues occurs quite often on Axis pedals. Derek Roddy said, it's caused by inappropriete technique as well as by insufficien care. However, from my personal experience I've played on firmly used Speed Cobras which have had looseness in heel part as well. Even though looseness didn't occur in Axis pedals (rather clicking), would you tell us how do (did) you deal with these problems? Is there some solution?
Old 06-07-2012, 06:40 PM

Hey Gavin,

I'm currently a student, and up until now I have wanted to do session work as my primary source of income when I finish my diplomas etc, but have started to think about doing clinics. I'd love to do either, but what would your advice be? And which do you think is more beneficial financially, and generally for me as a drummer?

Cheers

Sam :)
Old 06-07-2012, 10:23 PM

Gavin,

You still use the Crash of Doom at all? (recordings or on stage) I'm curious what your thoughts on it are. Was yours an 18" or 20"? I'd really like to get it in 18" but it doesn't look like they make it in 18" anymore. :(

I've been planning to get a new crash for my kit and I love the sound of the crash of doom; it's between the Crash of Doom or a A Custom Projection crash.

Thanks in advance for the reply!
Old 06-08-2012, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompain100 View Post
Amazing show last night Gav. Thoroughly enjoyed it! Thanks for posing for a photo and signing my drumstick - it's now priceless!

Also, there was a song and I think it was called 'Scar' that you said was being played for the first time. I personally thought that was one of the better songs! Should be kept in there!

Scar is on their album 'Circles' from 2009. By "first time" I would presume it was the 1st time they have played that, or any other songs in their set "live".
Old 06-08-2012, 05:36 PM

Hi Gavin,

Hope you are well! I have a short question about tuning.
In Rhytmic designs dvd you say that:

"Strangely enough the interval between the first four toms (8, 10, 12, 14) always come out the same".

What do you exactly mean? Can't you have the 16" tom-tom sound matching the others?

Mirco.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:52 PM

Hi, Gavin!

What snare wires you use on your 12" x 5" snare? Is it 8 strands as on your 14" snares?
Old 06-09-2012, 09:44 PM

At your clinic in Moscow you said about the lick - three strokes with your left hand and five strokes with the right hand (if i'm right, you've learned it from Billy Cobham). Could you describe your version of this lick one more time (maybe with transcription)?
Thank you!
Old 06-10-2012, 05:39 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi keep it simple

Just got back from your Cardiff gig. Great show! Not really knowing the band's stuff, I came with an open mind. Quietly thinking it was going to be a drums weighted show, but I was wrong. This is a band that's got substance behind the talent, & a cohesive punch that's infectious. The whole was greater than the sum of it's parts, & that's always a sign of something worth keeping. IMO, more appealing live than my first impression of the recorded material. A touch of added grit always helps bite through the complexity.

thanks - glad you enjoyed it. We had a blast that night.

tompain100

Amazing show last night Gav. Thoroughly enjoyed it! Thanks for posing for a photo and signing my drumstick - it's now priceless! Also, there was a song and I think it was called 'Scar' that you said was being played for the first time. I personally thought that was one of the better songs! Should be kept in there!

Great - thanks. Yes it was the first time on the tour that we played "Scar".

Hi adrummer10

Here comes another question regarding double bass drum pedals. Just curious if you had any issues with heel parts of pedals (mostly with Axis and Tama's)?

I haven't had problems with either pedal's heel parts. The only problem I've had is that my feet won't always do exactly what I want them to!!

Hi Sam Sanders

I'm currently a student, and up until now I have wanted to do session work as my primary source of income when I finish my diplomas etc, but have started to think about doing clinics. I'd love to do either, but what would your advice be? And which do you think is more beneficial financially, and generally for me as a drummer?

both of the things you have mentioned tend to happen (if at all) when you have become an established player with a reputation and a few well known names on your CV. It took many years before anyone would take a risk on me playing on a recording session - and even longer before someone invited me to make a drum clinic. Same thing with endorsements. So just get out there and play with anyone who'll have you - even for little or no money (that's what I did).

Hi gibeachhead

You still use the Crash of Doom at all? (recordings or on stage) I'm curious what your thoughts on it are. Was yours an 18" or 20"? I'd really like to get it in 18" but it doesn't look like they make it in 18" anymore. :(

I do have a couple of them. An 18" (which sadly I broke) that was an amazing crash...and a 22" (which is a prototype) - and makes the most beautiful low volume ride cymbal. They really have an interesting dark tone to them.

Hi dr_flam

In Rhytmic designs dvd you say that: "Strangely enough the interval between the first four toms (8, 10, 12, 14) always come out the same".

yes they nearly always settle on these intervals.

tom 5 lowest
tom 4 augmented 5th above tom 5
tom 3 augmented 4th above tom 4
tom 2 perfect 4th above tom 3
tom 1 perfect 5th above tom 2

So tom 5 seems to be G
tom 4 Eb
tom 3 A
tom 2 D
tom 1 A

Hi Dustondrums

What snare wires you use on your 12" x 5" snare? Is it 8 strands as on your 14" snares?

Yes usually it's 8 strands. I find I get more of the sound of the drum and less of the snare 'fizz'. I've usually got a mic pointing at the bottom of the snare drum - so if I feel I need to hear more fizz - I can turn it up in the mix.

Hi Dustondrums

At your clinic in Moscow you said about the lick - three strokes with your left hand and five strokes with the right hand (if i'm right, you've learned it from Billy Cobham). Could you describe your version of this lick one more time (maybe with transcription)?

I can't write you a transcription at the moment but a guy called "Drum Ace" did analyse that pattern on the second part of his blog (about the solo it I did on the Dave Letterman Show last year) http://www.drumstheword.com/blog/gav...-drum-lick-200

The Billy Cobham version had three notes in the left hand and four in the right hand. I just extended it a little bit to have 5 notes in the right hand. There's a clip of myself and Simon Phillips doing the Billy Cobham version (3:4) here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6YooxOTsus

If you haven't seen it before there are all four parts to the 20 minute duet we performed together for the "Guitar Center - Drum Off" last year in LA. I personally think it's one of the best things I've ever had the pleasure to be involved with. Simon was nothing short of brilliant of course. A really great thrill for me to play with him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6YooxOTsus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPf39uh1Mdk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Yx41LSmXI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV1Arl7Z2Ls

Cheers
Gavin
Old 06-11-2012, 03:38 AM

Hi Gavin,

I'm from Brazil and some months ago I wrote to you asking your opinion about two drum brands, DW or Sonor. I choose the Sonor SQ2, according to the seller the drums will be ready in august. The sizes are the same of yours: 8", 10", 12", 15", 16" and 22". I'm counting the days (hours, minutes)...
But can you help me on toms and floor tom microphone choice? My room is small (9,8 by 9,8 feet). I'm not sure if I take the electrovoice N/D 468 (supercardioid) or the Sennheiser MD 421 (cardioid). Who is the difference on toms and floor tom sound between these two mics?

The electro-voice is a half of price. If the difference in sound is small I prefer the electro-voice.

Well, I don't know all the logistic for you visit my country and play here, but if the drum set is the bigger problem I believe that you can use my drum set if you like. Will be a honor. I live in São Paulo.

Thank you Gavin, hope to see you here in Brazil.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:39 AM

Hi Gavin,
I'm rather new to recording drums and was just wondering about how or if you gate your snare when you record to eliminate bleed?
I'm having trouble with it because i loose all my ghost notes when i use it but get alot of bleed when i don't and you get such a great snare sound and a ll your ghosts are so clear, granted i don't have amazing recording conditions but they're OK anyway any thoughts would be very much appreciated

Thanks so much
Ben
Old 06-11-2012, 10:03 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Rítmico

I'm from Brazil and some months ago I wrote to you asking your opinion about two drum brands, DW or Sonor. I choose the Sonor SQ2, according to the seller the drums will be ready in august. The sizes are the same of yours: 8", 10", 12", 15", 16" and 22". I'm counting the days (hours, minutes)...

great - you're going to be a happy man.

But can you help me on toms and floor tom microphone choice? My room is small (9,8 by 9,8 feet). I'm not sure if I take the electrovoice N/D 468 (supercardioid) or the Sennheiser MD 421 (cardioid). Who is the difference on toms and floor tom sound between these two mics? The electro-voice is a half of price. If the difference in sound is small I prefer the electro-voice.

I have both - and this is what I can say about them. The Sennheiser 421 sounded better on the lower drums (it has a bass roll off at the end of the mic) but you should keep it on in the "M" position. On the 8" and 10" there was almost no difference at all. The Sennheiser is a bit more difficult to position as it's a really big mic.

Himalmondrummer

I'm rather new to recording drums and was just wondering about how or if you gate your snare when you record to eliminate bleed?

I have never gated a snare drum ever. Of course you can hear all the drums in all of the mics when you listen to them individually. That's the sound of the drumset. If you put your ear close to a floor tom whilst someone is hitting a snare drum you will still hear the snare drum and you will also hear the tom ringing too. That bothers some sound engineers and they like to gate the floor toms. Sometimes in a live situation it's necessary to gate the floor toms because they can ring too much through the PA and even start to feedback.

cheers
Gavin
Old 06-12-2012, 10:28 PM

Hey Gavin,

When George (Fredericks) has his 20th anniversary academy next year, do you think you could be a special guest? Even just for like one evening? that'd be reaaaally awesome :D (btw he hasn't asked me to do this, I just think you're really awesome :)

Cheers

Sam
Old 06-14-2012, 11:33 AM

Hello Gavin,

So I would like to know if you often use doubles or triplets or even paradiddles in your playing style.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:47 PM

Gavin, maybe it's a silly question, but what helps you to stay relaxed playing the drums? And if you feel some intensity while you play (in the middle of the song or before the difficult part for example), what helps you to get rid of it?
Old 06-16-2012, 11:22 AM

Hi Gavin!

You were perfectly right! I made a few tests, in fact to have a good sounding 16" floor tom the interval with the 14" must be somehow higher than a fourth...... If I tune to a fourth it sounds like to close to the 14. I am wondering why...... I will go back to physics.... Maybe the answer is there! :-)

all the best!

Mirco.

Hi dr_flam

In Rhytmic designs dvd you say that: "Strangely enough the interval between the first four toms (8, 10, 12, 14) always come out the same".

tom 5 lowest
tom 4 augmented 5th above tom 5
tom 3 augmented 4th above tom 4
tom 2 perfect 4th above tom 3
tom 1 perfect 5th above tom 2

So tom 5 seems to be G
tom 4 Eb
tom 3 A
tom 2 D
tom 1 A
Old 06-16-2012, 11:46 PM
Gold Member

Congrats on the new kit! I just got the Red Tribal myself thanks in large part to seeing your performance.
Attached Images

Session Work
Old 06-17-2012, 12:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Perfect insight into drum tuning!

The drum always seems to have the last word.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:04 PM

Hi Gavin
About double bass drumming technique. I wanted to ask you though how do you aproach doubling-substitutions, specifically about preferences on leading and landing with different feet. For example if Im playing groups of three RLL using my right foot instead of left hand RFF, and I double them, I have two posibilites: starting the burst of four in the downbeat of 2, or starting in the upbeat of 1, anticipating the second downstroke. The two posibilites would look like this:

1) R - F f F f (downbeats=F/ upbeats=f) and
2) R f F f F - .

Now if you know what I mean so far, I have a conflict deciding wether to start the second option with the left pedal, thus maintaining always downbeat on the right foot, or starting it with the right foot, thus changing the downbeat to the left foot.
Now I know you never start with left.. does that mean you preffer to land the downbeats on different feet than to lead with different feet?
Sorry about the long question, but I would be really happy to read you thoughts about this! Or from any other drummers in this forum!
Old 06-17-2012, 08:17 PM
Gold Member

Hey Gavin, are the earmuffs you're using during the 05Ric rehearsals video (the ones with the red line) just some standard Peltors? Are they any good to wear over the headphones/get a decent feel for the music with them on?

Fox.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:38 AM

Did you keep the same configuration of the old SQ2 black/white (shell thickness, sizes and bearing edges)?

Thank you,

Marcos
Old 06-18-2012, 08:25 AM

[quote=Rítmico;1013542]Did you keep the same configuration of the old SQ2 black/white (shell thickness, sizes and bearing edges)?

Interesting question!

Also..... is this finish availble? I absolutely want it! It'a amazing!

M.