DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 10-15-2011, 10:25 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishhaggis View Post
(...)
Question: Do you ever play barefoot now or have you been ever playing barefoot? And do you find it rather comfortable or not?
I'm curious to hear Gavin on that also. But as someone already dared to jump in (I didn't dare yesterday ;-)) - I'd say the barefoot drummers aren't that few. I play barefoot (w/socks) 99% of the time and was very disappointed when I tried sneakers on my double pedal, it completely sucked, I lacked the feel of those sneakers compared to barefoot. Months later I bought Dreaks (special drumming shoes - flat sole) and it was better, footwear provides more volume/punch and also stabilizes my weaker foot. The Dreaks seemed to work better for heel up than heel-toe for me. But I didn't care and continued practicing barefoot, just out of habit... Until recently I started practicing toe-toe doubles and this works better with footwear than barefoot (at least IMO). Now I want to go 50-50, both practicing with footwear and barefoot and get used to both ways. Experiment with different footwear, it might be worth it.

Last edited by Arky; 10-15-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:38 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Rítmico

I‘m from Brazil, but I have friends in England and Germany. They can order the SQ2 for me and I just need bring it to Brazil. I‘m just afraid about the possibility that air company don‘t take care of my drums and breaks or damage the drums during transport. This is the only problem. So it‘s easier take the DW.

ah I didn't realise there were no Sonor dealers in Brazil.

I asked your council only to know if the SQ2 sound is better than DW, that the risk of transport is valid.

personally I think they are a lot better.

Do you have any recommendation to transport a drumset (only the shellpack) in an airplane?

I've never had to do that but you could get as many drums inside each other (without the heads of course) as possible. Make sure everything is well wrapped...and best of luck with it.

Hi Staz17

I'm from Russia, currently sudying in the UK. Have you got any plans on having a clinic or something like that in Russia, in the future? :)

I have no plans to at the moment.

Hi Peter T

Do you plan on doing a clinic on the east coast, around New Jersey maybe?

Not at the moment. I'm just making the four Canadian clinics next week and then nothing more until next year.

Hi scottishhaggis

Question: Do you ever play barefoot now or have you been ever playing barefoot? And do you find it rather comfortable or not?

I have tried it a couple of times but I didn't like it. I need a shoe or trainer with a flat - pretty rigid sole to it. My feet can be quite temperamental some days so I always stick to Puma trainers. At least I know what to expect from the feel of them.

cheers
Gavin
Old 10-19-2011, 05:44 PM
sticks4drums

Hi Gavin. Going to see you next Monday in Waterloo Ontario. Can't wait.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:57 PM

Gavin - a couple questions:

I noted that Steven Wilson used a different drummer for his recent solo album (Nic France) - I can only assume to create some variation from Porcupine Tree or for other artistic reasons. Since obviously you are a member of PT, and played on Steven's first solo disc, I was curious how this is handled in the professional realm - did Steven discuss this with you beforehand? Did you understand his reasoning? How open are band members about their outside projects?

Secondly, I've read interviews with Steven indicating that he is bored with "metal" and thinks the future sound of PT may veer away from that element of sound and perhaps be more "song oriented." I know you have varied interests in music, but I recall many of the elements you've brought in (Futile, Mother & Child, etc.) are perhaps more "metal" or at least really heavy. I'm curious if you share that feeling about "metal", or if that in any way affects your interest in Porcupine Tree? I guess I'm wondering how much your own personal vision extends into the final sound of PT and how much compromise is required?
Old 10-21-2011, 09:31 PM

Hi Gavin,

Hope to see you in the UK sometime then. :)

My other question is about recording drums for Sound of Muzak. I'll be recording the whole song in the next couple of months and being a drummer, Sound of Muzak is one of my favourites.
I have experimented with the snare and have achieved a similar sound of yours, simply by using two SM57's. However, the mixing desk that I'm using can only cope with 8 XLR inputs. Therefore, I can't use two mics on the bass drum and have to limit myself on toms. How would you record the bass drum with one mic? (Shure PG52 is what I've got), I find it hard to find a place where it gives enough punch and attack, along with deep "oomph" sound. Can you give me an idea of how you place the mic and how I should go about recording the bass drum.
I don't have any triggers either, so I need to get a good sound out of that mic.

Thanks
Old 10-22-2011, 07:17 PM

Hey Gavin,

You once told you get your inspiration from architecture.. Could you explain this a bit more? How do you translate architecture into music?

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2011, 12:21 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi cygnify

I noted that Steven Wilson used a different drummer for his recent solo album (Nic France) - I can only assume to create some variation from Porcupine Tree or for other artistic reasons. Since obviously you are a member of PT, and played on Steven's first solo disc, I was curious how this is handled in the professional realm - did Steven discuss this with you beforehand? Did you understand his reasoning? How open are band members about their outside projects?

I'm not "Steve Wilson's drummer" so he can choose whoever he wants to record on his records - no discussion or reasoning necessary.

Secondly, I've read interviews with Steven indicating that he is bored with "metal" and thinks the future sound of PT may veer away from that element of sound and perhaps be more "song oriented." I know you have varied interests in music, but I recall many of the elements you've brought in (Futile, Mother & Child, etc.) are perhaps more "metal" or at least really heavy. I'm curious if you share that feeling about "metal", or if that in any way affects your interest in Porcupine Tree? I guess I'm wondering how much your own personal vision extends into the final sound of PT and how much compromise is required?

Well I was never really a 'metal drummer' to start with so it was new ground for me to see if I could do my thing in that format - and I found it interesting. I certainly didn't think I was bringing 'metal' to the band and some of the songs that I wrote with Steve and the other guys like "Start Of Something Beautiful", "Cheating The Polygraph", "Halo", "Bonnie The Cat", "Way Out Of Here", "Flicker" didn't feel like 'metal' to me.

Hi Staz17

My other question is about recording drums for Sound of Muzak. I'll be recording the whole song in the next couple of months and being a drummer, Sound of Muzak is one of my favourites.
I have experimented with the snare and have achieved a similar sound of yours, simply by using two SM57's. However, the mixing desk that I'm using can only cope with 8 XLR inputs. Therefore, I can't use two mics on the bass drum and have to limit myself on toms. How would you record the bass drum with one mic? (Shure PG52 is what I've got), I find it hard to find a place where it gives enough punch and attack, along with deep "oomph" sound. Can you give me an idea of how you place the mic and how I should go about recording the bass drum.

Are you sure your bass drum has punch and attack, along with deep "oomph" sound to start with? If it has then the Shure 52 should be able to capture it but having multiple mics will give you more control in the mixing stage. It's not my favourite mic for bass drum but it is a good one.

Hi Stijnn1990

You once told you get your inspiration from architecture.. Could you explain this a bit more? How do you translate architecture into music?

put simply it's all about structure, design, functionality and beauty. Same thing when designing a drum rhythm.

Hi Mark Levine

do you have any examples of you playing these patterns?

cheers
Gavin
Old 10-23-2011, 01:37 PM

Hello, Gavin! I'm the big fan of your drumming and your style is an inspiration to me.
I would like to ask you some questions (sorry, if you were already asked about):

1) How do you usually tune your bass drum heads (light or strong tension etc.)?
2) How do you tune your double pedal (springs tension, beaters angle, beaters height)?
3) I've noticed that you usually sit rather low while you playing, but now you began to sit higher. Why?
Old 10-24-2011, 02:18 PM

WAVEDRUM

Dear Gavin,

I know that you've been using a Wavedrum for sometime now. I'm considering buying one. How long have you been having one? What is your general opinion on it at the moment? Have you been using it on your recent clinics? Would you name all the songs recorded by Porcupine Tree where you have used the Wavedrum?

Thanks, cheers from Lithuania
Old 10-26-2011, 08:31 AM
Gold Member

Whew, amazing clinic you put on in Edmonton tonight!! I'm glad you could skip out on the Jeff Beck show just for us. ;)

I learned a lot from tonight and really appreciated how down to earth you are! Well, I'm off to go practice now, so thanks again! Have a good one (and I hope you can kick that jetlag)

-Jonathan

and a like facebook.com/tylordorytrio
Old 10-26-2011, 10:27 PM

Hello Gavin!

I have a technical issue about mixing the drum tracks. as I remember that you only record 3 takes and choose the best one for most records, and I'm sure you can play the timing perfectly. so, do you still consider to quantize your tracks or get to be quantized in the records by others?
I'm currently thinking if I should do it for the drum tracks I recorded since the drummer didn't play it as tight as it should be and I'm not sure how perfect the timing has to be being great in the music. the drummer already spent many hours for many takes a day, so I think he already did the best he could. would you give me some advises and how to let the drummer perform the best as he can during the recording session. thanks!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:38 AM

Hi Gavin!

I was at the clinic you did in Vancouver, BC last night (Thursday) and I must say it was the best clinic I've attended yet. You really had a lot of great ideas and communicated them incredibly well. I'm going to give that hand/feet rudiment exercise a workout tomorrow, haha.

Not only was the clinic highly informative, but you are a really funny guy! Your playing was nothing short of inspirational and my friends and I noted -to our surprise- that you are quite a heavy hitter at times, really cracking that back beat.

The kit sounded great too, and the ride in particular sounded killer. Can you tell me what model and size what was?

Thanks again for coming to Vancouver and imparting some of your experience and drumming wizardry on us mortals ;)

If they were serving that night, I would bought you a pint.

Cheers!
Old 10-30-2011, 05:43 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Dustondrums

1) How do you usually tune your bass drum heads (light or strong tension etc.)?

I would say that the batter head is fairly tight and the front head is less.

2) How do you tune your double pedal (springs tension, beaters angle, beaters height)?

It would really depend on the pedals themselves but with the Tama Speedcobras I have the springs medium to lose. The pedal boards are set at 18.3 degrees.

3) I've noticed that you usually sit rather low while you playing, but now you began to sit higher. Why?

I think I still sit at the same height I always did. I like to sit low.

Hi scottishhaggis

I know that you've been using a Wavedrum for sometime now. I'm considering buying one. How long have you been having one? What is your general opinion on it at the moment? Have you been using it on your recent clinics? Would you name all the songs recorded by Porcupine Tree where you have used the Wavedrum?

I've had the original Wavedrum since the late 90's and the new one about 18 months. I occasionally use it on clinics but haven't played it on PT shows. I used my old one on the song "Remember Me Lover".

Hi communion

I have a technical issue about mixing the drum tracks. as I remember that you only record 3 takes and choose the best one for most records, and I'm sure you can play the timing perfectly. so, do you still consider to quantize your tracks or get to be quantized in the records by others?

I never quantize my drum recordings - and as far as I know they haven't been quantized on other productions.

Hi space jeff

The kit sounded great too, and the ride in particular sounded killer. Can you tell me what model and size what was?

Standard 20" Zildjian K Ride.

cheers
Gavin
Old 10-30-2011, 08:09 PM

Hi Gavin,

I've been using a Yamaha HipGig Live and been a very happy user: the sound is very tight and groovy. The only thing i was not happy about was the cross stick sound cuz of the 12" size of the snare drum. I recently discovered the Yamaha Groove Wedge and blindly bought it: the result is incredible and solved all my cross stick sound with my small snare. Have you ever tried it?

Thank You again,
Stefano
Old 11-01-2011, 12:30 AM

Hey, Gavin.

I'am a big fan of your drumming and Porcupine Tree. I have all your dvds and books, and they've been really helpfull to me, now that I'am studying polyrhythms, metric modulation, odd time signatures etc.

I also saw a video of you and Simon Phillips playing at guitar center, which was amazing!
Old 11-07-2011, 10:48 PM
Silver Member

...Really enjoyed your clinic in Edmonton.

Hard to believe it was almost two weeks ago.

What you were playing was so far beyond anything I could ever hope to do, yet you made it look easier than it sounded.

This clinic is in my top five for WoW factor.

Barry
Old 11-09-2011, 10:15 AM

Dear Gavin. Regarding your seating position. How low/high do you sit? Are you thighs completely horizontal with the ground? How much are your knees bent, 90 or more than 90 degrees? Did it take you some time until you discovered the best position for yourself.

Thanks, Robert
Old 11-09-2011, 11:11 AM

Hi Gavin,

I'm moving up from my S Classix kit to an SQ2. There's one in a shop near me that I'm going to buy and it has black chrome on it.

I know you don't play a kit with the black chrome, but you do play a kit with gold hardware. I'd assume what's true for the gold might be the same for the black.

I'm wondering if you've had any chipping on the gold hardware on your SQ2?

I wouldn't want to lay down a lot of money to find the black chipping off in a few months. If you can offer any insights before I buy that would be a great help.

Thanks,
Sonorplayer
Old 11-10-2011, 12:02 AM

Hi Gavin,

Are you able to give us any info on your Vic Firth sticks yet? or are they "if I told you I'd have to kill ya" type secret category?

If it still in the top secret department can you give us a little more of a hint, will they be different than the Vic Grip Rock model, L = 16 5/8" | Dia. = .630"?

Do you have an idea when can we expect to see them in stores, VF website says "Watch for Gavin's new Vic Firth signature stick to be released in 2012!" that could really mean anything from January to December.

Thanks
UE
Old 11-10-2011, 06:03 PM

Hi Gavin,

I'm about to order an SQ2 kit. I saw the configuration of your euro kit is very much like the kit I have in mind, so I have a couple of questions about it.

I know you use a 15" floor tom and a 16" floor tom. I always felt like the 14" is more tom tom than floor tom and I thought about doing the same. Do you feel the pitch difference between the 15" and 16" far is enough?

Also, unless I'm mistaken you use "thin" shells for toms, "medium" shells for floor toms and a "heavy" shell for the bass drum. Do you feel your kit is balanced enough with that configuration while still maintaining that famous homogenous sound synonymous with Sonor drums?

Do you think a kit configuration of "thin" tom toms and floor toms with a "heavy" bass drum will be balanced?

Thank you very much,
Amir.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:57 PM

Have you ever had tenidinitis? If yes, how did you treat it and how long it lasted?

Do you do stretching before a gig or practising?

Any suggestions about?

I've got tennis elbow because I practised too much. I didn't realize I was forcing myself, I just wanted to play. It's terrible to stay away from your instrument.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:50 PM
Silver Member

Hey Gavin!

This is about mixing...

When you wanna mix your drumset into a song like so what or anyother song.
How do you start?

How do you start mixing the drumset? Overheads first then adding bassdrum + snare + toms?
Do you have something like a "routine"?

Thanks very much!
David
Old 11-11-2011, 05:40 PM

Hi!
Just curious, if you consider buying(playing) some kit (highend), what would you like to pick, if you can't take anything from Sonor range? I know, that it can be quite inconvenient topic, because you are endorser, but anyway...:-) I know you played some Pearl's long time ago and DW on In Absentia.
Thanks
Old 11-11-2011, 07:33 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi steste50

I recently discovered the Yamaha Groove Wedge and blindly bought it: the result is incredible and solved all my cross stick sound with my small snare. Have you ever tried it?

I haven't tried it yet - but I'm very interested to. Thanks

Hi baz

...Really enjoyed your clinic in Edmonton.

I enjoyed it too - thanks for posting the pictures.

Hi scottishhaggis

Regarding your seating position. How low/high do you sit? Are you thighs completely horizontal with the ground? How much are your knees bent, 90 or more than 90 degrees? Did it take you some time until you discovered the best position for yourself.

I would say my thighs are horizontal with the floor when I have my feet up on the pedals (which is most of the time). The knee is not at 90 degrees as my foot is not directly under the knee - but forward from it. The bass drum is a long way out front from me. I like to sit relatively low compared to a lot of drummers that I see - but I'm coming from an old Gadd/Porcaro stance of sitting low and behind the drums - rather than the 'high and on top' of the kit.

Hi sonorplayer

I'm moving up from my S Classix kit to an SQ2. There's one in a shop near me that I'm going to buy and it has black chrome on it.I know you don't play a kit with the black chrome, but you do play a kit with gold hardware. I'd assume what's true for the gold might be the same for the black.I'm wondering if you've had any chipping on the gold hardware on your SQ2?

I wouldn't say the chipping is a problem. Of course all hardware gets a beating on the road whether it's chrome, gold or black. Some of it has knocks and scratches but none of it has chipped or fallen off.

Hi UE Nastasi

Are you able to give us any info on your Vic Firth sticks yet? or are they "if I told you I'd have to kill ya" type secret category?

They should be out soon and all will be revealed. I can tell you that they are in the same ball park as the 'Rock' model (which I have used for the last few years)...but in my opinion they feel much better.

Hi Agd8

I know you use a 15" floor tom and a 16" floor tom. I always felt like the 14" is more tom tom than floor tom and I thought about doing the same. Do you feel the pitch difference between the 15" and 16" far is enough?

I really like the 15" floor tom and most of the time I play that one as it's in pole position. I felt like the 14" wasn't quite enough. You need to get a deep 16" and tune it a little lower than normal to get the pitch difference. Ideally I'd have a 17" tom if I could persuade anyone to make one!!

Also, unless I'm mistaken you use "thin" shells for toms, "medium" shells for floor toms and a "heavy" shell for the bass drum. Do you feel your kit is balanced enough with that configuration while still maintaining that famous homogenous sound synonymous with Sonor drums?Do you think a kit configuration of "thin" tom toms and floor toms with a "heavy" bass drum will be balanced?

That's correct. I've never felt that it was in any way unbalanced. The kind of bass drum sound I go for really doesn't need a thin shell - and it's probably better as a heavy one.

Hi Luke Bonham

Have you ever had tenidinitis? If yes, how did you treat it and how long it lasted?
Do you do stretching before a gig or practising?

Luckily I haven't had it so I can't offer you any advice. I do stretch and warm up before playing.

Hi Kalma

How do you start mixing the drumset? Overheads first then adding bassdrum + snare + toms? Do you have something like a "routine"?

It depends on the sound I think suits the song. I pick the cymbals, snare drum and other stuff that I think are going to fit - and I might even play in a certain way - all with the mix in mind. After I do the first take I spend some time making a rough mix of the drums within the song - to see if it's all working. Maybe I will adjust the tuning or cymbal choice - as well as the reverb times, EQ and compression settings (might change or move the mics a little) - and then with that in mind go back and record another take. My drums are on a rolling riser so I can even move the whole set to different parts of the room to change the way the drums sound overall. It's a process that might go on for quite some time until I'm happy. I don't just record my standard set and think I can fix it in the mix later.

Hi TKIE

Just curious, if you consider buying(playing) some kit (highend), what would you like to pick, if you can't take anything from Sonor range? I know, that it can be quite inconvenient topic, because you are endorser, but anyway...:-) I know you played some Pearl's long time ago and DW on In Absentia.

sorry but it's just too hypothetical for me. There's plenty of great drums out there - and for no other reason than I think they are the best drums - I choose Sonor.

cheers
Gavin
Old 11-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Platinum Member

Gavin,

I'd just like to say how completely cool it is of you to take time out to get involved here, that, & having met you briefly at the London Drum Show, I'm firmly of the opinion that you're a great regular guy, as well as an inspirational musician. Thank you for your gift Gavin, & your willingness to share it with others.

Sincerely, Andy.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:31 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Thanks Andy

I really enjoyed seeing and hearing your work. Great stuff - keep it up.

cheers
Gavin
Old 11-12-2011, 08:56 PM

Hey Gavin, I just wanted to know if you've listened to the new Opeth record ?
And what do you think about it ?

Thanks .
Old 11-16-2011, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Thanks Andy

I really enjoyed seeing and hearing your work. Great stuff - keep it up.

cheers
Gavin
And thank you for the encouragement Gavin. It matters!
Old 11-16-2011, 07:10 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbt4 View Post
Hey Gavin, I just wanted to know if you've listened to the new Opeth record ?

Thanks .
That's exactly the kind of stuff Gavin wants not to answer - for good reasons....

Bernhard
Old 11-18-2011, 01:01 AM

That's Right Bernhard!

egbt4 you can always check things on http://askgavinharrison.com/, I update it quite often, and there are so many interesting things about Gavin! I suggest to check there before asking! ;)

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
That's exactly the kind of stuff Gavin wants not to answer - for good reasons....

Bernhard
Old 11-18-2011, 01:44 AM
Doctor Dirt

Just watched the Letterman clip and thought the performance was excellant and the choice for that song was outstanding. To hear an R&B////Funk to Soul groove played live on a network show and be used for a featured groove for this fabulous drummer was fantastic, thank you Mr. Harrison and to THRAK for posting it. Doc
Old 11-18-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Dirt View Post
Just watched the Letterman clip and thought the performance was excellant and the choice for that song was outstanding. To hear an R&B////Funk to Soul groove played live on a network show and be used for a featured groove for this fabulous drummer was fantastic, thank you Mr. Harrison and to THRAK for posting it. Doc
I wish I could take credit for posting the Letterman clip, but board founder Bernhard posted that. I was simply the first person to respond and give Gavin props after it aired.

But, you're welcome anyway!
Old 11-19-2011, 06:50 PM

Hi Gavin,

I heard you'll do a masterclass in France in February, but I can't find any infos on the internet.
Do you have more infos about this? Thanks.

Alex
Old 11-21-2011, 01:57 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi egbt4

I just wanted to know if you've listened to the new Opeth record ?

I haven't heard the new Opeth record. Most of the stuff I've heard from them in the past I've really liked. I didn't really want become a record/band/musician critic so usually I don't answer these questions. There are lots of drummers/bands who want me to go and look at their YouTube clips and tell them what I think - but honestly I don't want to get in to it.

Hi Alex P.

I heard you'll do a masterclass in France in February, but I can't find any infos on the internet. Do you have more infos about this? Thanks.

I've been invited to play at the Tam Tam festival 25th of Feb - but I'm not sure it's been announced yet.

Gavin
Old 11-21-2011, 04:16 PM

Hi Gavin,

First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.
Second, where did you find an S-hoop to fit your 8" tom? I can't seem to find anywhere an 8" 5 hole S-hoop...

Amir.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:43 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Agd8

where did you find an S-hoop to fit your 8" tom? I can't seem to find anywhere an 8" 5 hole S-hoop...

I don't think a 5 hole 8" S-hoop exists. I have a 4 hole version on my SQ2 set from 3 years ago - but I think Sonor now put 5 lugs on an 8" tom.

cheers
Gavin
Old 11-23-2011, 08:35 PM

Hi Gavin,

My band just released his first full length album. For the promotional show of the release, i used plexiglass sheets in front of my drums. It was a great way to reduce the sound volume on the stage. Have you ever used any of these? Any good tips about close miking the drums in this environment? The drums sounded great except maybe for my bass drum.

Thanks, Ethan.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:24 AM

Hey Gavin! This is not exactly a drumming query coz I'm not really a drummer. I'm making an infographic on Fear of a Blank Planet, and I wanted to depict the timeline of the album with the tempo of each song.
I was wondering if it's possible for you to tell me the minimum and maximum tempo you used for each of the songs. Or even an average would do.
PS. I only need those for the 6 songs from the studio album, not including the other tracks from the special editions.
Thanx! :)
Old 11-25-2011, 01:59 AM

Hi Gavin, i own a Sonor drum kit, and i was looking at the Pearl drum rack as well (for affordability purposes). Im wondering, do you mount your rack toms and cymbals with Sonor stands and mounts going through Pearl clamps? Or is everything you use Pearl? Im just unsure of what is more the most affordable route to take.

Thanks for your time

Luc

Last edited by LucFougere; 11-25-2011 at 06:46 AM.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:07 PM
Silver Member

Hey Gavin,

I'm about to buy overheads for recording drums.

I'm going to have my set fully mic'ed and I wanna chose between those two overheads:
- akg c214
- akg c451

I've heard both mics - a friend of mine recorded them in their university.
I think the c214 has a pretty warm and full sound, which is pretty nice!
But the c451 are pretty brutal in the high frequencies.

I'm not sure what would be better for drum-recording.
Just from listening to those records (no eq or stuff) - I would choose the c214, but I'm not quite sure.

Which kind of mic would you choose?

Thanks a lot for your help!!!
David