DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 09-05-2010, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantiBanks View Post
Not sure if I understand the latter part. Are you saying that if I would consider the whole piece in 5/4, I would end a little earlier? If that is what you mean then I should say that I don't regard the full piece as 5/4. Though I admit that wouldn't hold up with the principle of Occam's Razor itself…
So check out the pictures I attached. Pic 2 is the 4/4 way(I had to crop out 2 measures of 8th notes because it wouldn't let me attach the file) and pic 3 is the 5/4 way. Now the 4/4 way is actually at about 132bpm and the 5/4 way is at about 81.3 or so bpm. When the files are played next to each other, the 5/4 way will be 2 eighth notes short. Count out the notes, and keep in mind that triplets at 81.3 bpm are basically equal to eighth notes at 132bpm.

In 2 measures of 5/4 there will be 30 eighth note triplets at 81.3 bpm
In 4 measures of 4/4 there will be 32 eighth notes at 132 bpm

So since there is a two eighth note difference in the ways, they will end up being played differently if repeated.

Did that explain it better?
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin DV View Post
Did that explain it better?
Thanks for that :) I understand it now :)
Old 09-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Gold Member

Hey Gavin,

It's a bit of a long time ago but 6th of February this year you played a gig in Sydney, Australia and the PA died. You also did a magic trick where a stick magically appeared behind a small towel of some sort. How did you do this magic trick?

Looking forward to seeing you play again (p.s. next tour in sydney do a master class!)

Regards
Thomas.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:59 PM

Hey Gavin!

Maybe this is an off-topic question, and I really don't expect you to remember such small details.

When I attended Porcupine Tree in Bergen, Norway the 9. of June this year, I was very lucky and was given one of your used drumsticks in the arena store.

Does these giveaway sticks come from certain sessions or are they just random sticks used by you?
I also bought an autographed head, what is the origin of this? Just used during the tour?

This has grown to become an important musical relic to me! : P

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-09-2010, 03:30 AM

Hi Gavin,

1. Is there some PT tracks that you don't use a click live? Can you name some?

2. Did you study music in a college or university?

3. If you would had to choose 1 Ride, 1 Crash and 1 Hi-Hat that you would play the rest of your life with, what would it be?

Thanks for inspiring me (and all the others) so much... You're the best!

Will
Old 09-09-2010, 11:54 AM

Default Gavin Harrison Guide

I have recently discovered Gavin Harrison and truly admire his playing in many ways.

I want to start listening to some of the music he has had a hand in but don't know where to start as my progressive music knowledge is limited and he has a vast catalogue.

Can anyone help and advise on some of his best work on your opinion?

To give you an idea of my tastes I take a lot from Steve Jordan, Benny Greb and Carter Beauford.

Thank you all.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Gavin Harrison Guide

Well, here's his discography, you might find something there you already know:
http://www.gavharrison.com/recording.php

Personally, I think his best work is with Porcupine Tree.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:43 PM

Well, with Mike Portnoy leaving DT, there are not many Drummers who can replace him. Would be very interesting, if DT chose a handful of drummers to contribute to the new album, I would favour: Chad Wackerman, Morgan Agren, Danny Carey, Josh Freese and, of course, Gavin!
Old 09-09-2010, 06:58 PM

Gavin,

I'm curious - with Portnoy leaving Dream Theater, who do you think would be a good fit for the new drummer in DT? And do you think he will return at some point in the future? I also like astroandy's idea... if they had multiple drummers contribute, having you be on a DT album would be amazing!
Old 09-09-2010, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

Mike Portnoy is leaving Dream Theater??

Edit: I'd love to see Virgil Donati in the band, then!!
Old 09-10-2010, 07:23 PM

Hi Gavin,

1. i was reading in this thread that you loved the sound of octabans. Why don't u incorporate them in one of your future tunes? I'd hear them well on a new tune with O5Ric :)
2. i was wondering why your collaboration with Incognito lasted for so short: your groove really fit that band to me.

thank u again
Old 09-11-2010, 06:59 AM

Hi, Gavin-

Hope the European leg of the Porcupine Tree tour is going well. I just ordered one of your Sonor signature snares and was wondering if you have been using one on tour.
How much input did you have on the snare, and what type of sound were you aiming for? Looking forward to getting mine!
Old 09-11-2010, 01:00 PM

Hi Gavin !
Your live performance in Athens was unbelievable! Maybe the best live performace by a band I have ever been to! Fantastic atmosphere and great energy from you all , you really made us have a great night !!! Congratulations again and we're looking forward to seeing you again!!!
Porcupine tree RULE-Z :D
Old 09-11-2010, 02:19 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Phil Brodermann

What a fantastic night, I've never seen Steve Gadd live before, and it's certainly something I'd like to do again. Gavin, was there a highlight for you?

here's my highlight

Name:  John Gav Gadd.jpg
Views: 3433
Size:  64.2 KB

Hi pixelbreaker

I've been reading some of those posts from the link to the Coheed forum that was posted on PT's Twitter. Some of the responses are really nice and give good compliments, but some are really rude and say that they didn't like you guys. Back on tour did you ever wish that you had not been on that tour? Did you guys ever change some things on the setlist that might appeal to the Coheed fans more?

We changed the setlist a bit from night to night - but we normally do that anyway. The Coheed guys were really nice - and I had some good chats with Chris Pennie.

Hi uniin

It's a bit of a long time ago but 6th of February this year you played a gig in Sydney, Australia and the PA died. You also did a magic trick where a stick magically appeared behind a small towel of some sort. How did you do this magic trick?

I could tell you - but then I'd have to kill you. Sorry.

Hi anders_slåke

When I attended Porcupine Tree in Bergen, Norway the 9. of June this year, I was very lucky and was given one of your used drumsticks in the arena store.
Does these giveaway sticks come from certain sessions or are they just random sticks used by you? I also bought an autographed head, what is the origin of this? Just used during the tour?

You may be surprised to know that there's no mystery to any of this. The sticks are ones that I have used on the show the night before and so are the drumheads.

Hi willregnier

1. Is there some PT tracks that you don't use a click live? Can you name some?

Yes

2. Did you study music in a college or university?

No

3. If you would had to choose 1 Ride, 1 Crash and 1 Hi-Hat that you would play the rest of your life with, what would it be?

I don't think I would want to limit the cymbals I might use for the rest of my life...BUT I would say the K Ride 20", 18" K Custom Crash and 13" K hi hats are very versatile.

Hi SnareSpectre

I'm curious - with Portnoy leaving Dream Theater, who do you think would be a good fit for the new drummer in DT? And do you think he will return at some point in the future?

I'm not familiar with Dream Theater's music - so I couldn't really tell you who would be a good fit.

Hi steste50

1. i was reading in this thread that you loved the sound of octabans. Why don't u incorporate them in one of your future tunes? I'd hear them well on a new tune with O5Ric :)

I might just do that - although I only have a pair of them.

2. i was wondering why your collaboration with Incognito lasted for so short: your groove really fit that band to me.

I had a great time playing in that band - but I was consistently broke - and we earnt very little money back then. I got offered a TV show 'house band' gig - so I took that and left Incognito.

Hi chipinene

I just ordered one of your Sonor signature snares and was wondering if you have been using one on tour. How much input did you have on the snare, and what type of sound were you aiming for?

I have used that drum a lot - as you may see on a lot of YouTube videos. I didn't design the drum at all - and it's not a 'signature' model - even though confusingly my signature appears on the drum. It's a 'special edition' reissue of one of their old Designer drums from the 90's.

cheers
Gavin
Old 09-12-2010, 06:02 AM

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I just came across this on YouTube. Hilarious!! PT Shreds!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mTOIktVSG8

Love it!

Kevin
Old 09-13-2010, 02:24 AM

Mr. Gavin
If you were asked to play with a Major band like Dream Theater...and you said yes..what would you do if u had conflict in events or practice with your main band Porcupine Tree ?
Old 09-13-2010, 10:43 PM

Hey Gavin!

Just a quick question, I'm sorry if this has been answered before!

What beaters do you use on your Axis a longboards?
What is your opinion on the Marksman beaters vs the Sonic Hammers?

Thanks in advance!
And thank you again for taking the time!
Old 09-13-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonloop View Post
Mr. Gavin
If you were asked to play with a Major band like Dream Theater...and you said yes..what would you do if u had conflict in events or practice with your main band Porcupine Tree ?
Obviously, you would check your schedule before accepting another appiontment, eg: If you were asked to go for lunch with someone, you would check that you are not going to lunch with another person first, not just say yes and wonder what to do later.

See what I mean?
Old 09-14-2010, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Brodermann View Post
Obviously, you would check your schedule before accepting another appiontment, eg: If you were asked to go for lunch with someone, you would check that you are not going to lunch with another person first, not just say yes and wonder what to do later.

See what I mean?
yeah i know dude but what if tour dates had conflict what are the priorities...eg u have a date in a doctor's clinic planned from 2 weeks and suddenly a job u applied for called u for an interview at the same time...and for the comparison i think every band plans tours a year ahead but sudden gigs are also possible like goin on a late night show or sthg...and another conflict that distances traveled...having concert in china with PT for eg will have to make DT plan a week ahead concert in the states...and i dont think either bands can make major date changes for a band member..
Old 09-14-2010, 01:34 AM
Gold Member

Gavin, I was wondering, if you had to name a single lick that was your favorite of all time, what would that be?
Old 09-14-2010, 07:38 AM

Hey Gavin,

When you play drums on an album are their certain sections of a song Steven tells you there are to be no drums? Aside from obvious tracks like 'Kneel and Disconnect' and 'Lips of Ashes'. For example, in 'My Ashes' did Steven tell you not to come in with drums until later in the song (as with 'Sentimental' and 'Gravity Eyelids') or is it simply you feeling the music and working your magic?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:50 AM

Hey Gavin, just a nosy equipment question! Do you still own your Delite and Designer kits? Or was one of them an endorsee kit as such? Looking foward to Mandela Hall in Belfast!
Old 09-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeSnyder View Post
Gavin, I was wondering, if you had to name a single lick that was your favorite of all time, what would that be?
Must be 5 note groupings of RLRRL and similar over various spacings and note values, I guess :).
Old 09-14-2010, 03:36 PM

Hi, Gavin!

I have read, that you use shoes while you play, because if you didn't it'd hurt. My question is how does it hurt? I just discovered myself, that I have often a sore ankle when I have played a lot in a day/ few days, point being if I have even after 9 years of drumming a bad bass drum technique (playing heels-up a single pedal w/o shoes), and have to "start from the scratch", or could have it fixed by playing with shoes (if I find similar stories of the sore ankle of shoeless playing).

Best wishes,
Tarthur
Old 09-14-2010, 10:23 PM

Hello
Dear Gavin

Your drum sound is very natural in many albums and always well, I love it.
For minimum sound leakage between your microphones and lines in your studio, you use minimum gain for each microphone for minimum leakage or use maximum gain and get the big harmonic sound and use the Gate and limiter Effects on your computer for each line.

Thank you and Best Regards,
Ramtin HajatDoost
Tehran –Iran
Old 09-15-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramtin HajatDoust View Post
Your drum sound is very natural in many albums and always well, I love it.
For minimum sound leakage between your microphones and lines in your studio, you use minimum gain for each microphone for minimum leakage or use maximum gain and get the big harmonic sound and use the Gate and limiter Effects on your computer for each line.
n
Hi Ramtin,

The question about the leakage (or spill) was asked by me this summer because I was wondering the same thing. Gavin replied with this:

Quote:
Don't worry about spill - spill is natural - I wouldn't gate things myself. Some mixing engineers like to gently gate the floor toms if they are ringing sympathetically and getting in the way of the low end.
Concluding from that, Gavin doesn't seem to use gates and limiters. I personally would never record with low gains. You loose details with that and it gives more hiss (as the signal to noise ratio changes).

I personally do understand your concern about spill. It sometimes can become terrible if your mics are placed "poor". Weird phase relations can make the kit sound weird and cancel out frequencies and mess up the stereo imaging (which is why proper placement of overheads is important I think, that defines your stereo image).

If you have a lot of problems with spill then some things you might want to consider are mic choices (with that I mean keeping their pickup pattern in mind) and mic placement.
For example, its not uncommon to have leakage of the hihat in the snare mic. By choosing a mic with a better off-axis rejection and placing it more strategically (to make advantage of this off-axis rejection) you can minimize the bleed from the hihat in this particular example.
Are there any problems you encounter regarding bleed into the microphones?
Old 09-16-2010, 08:47 AM

G'day Gavin.
The opening riffs to "Futile" and "Mother and Child Divided" each feature a clever syncopation of what turns out to be straight time. Although the guitar does the riffing in each of these songs, the mathematical subdivision of the time seems more drummerly than guitaristic. Did you write those sections, or is Steven Wilson a rhythmaniac too? :-)
Cheers.
Leigh
Old 09-16-2010, 10:30 AM

Dear Gavin!

I rarely post, so consider this when I say: Thanks to your rhythmic and drumming ideas and your passion towards drumming, a year ago I restarted drumming after almost 9 years. And I'm officially infected again with music! :) Thank you for that!
And now, at the age of 29, I'm gonna start taking lessons too, 'cause I can only play somewhat simplified versions of your drumming, and I'm not too good with "half-solutions". :)

Most likely I'll never be able to play on your level, but aiming for it was, is, and probably will be the most beneficial for my drumming, and the best fun I had for some time! Again, thank you for that!

One request: Is there any chance to get a big size version of one of the pictures on your homepage? The one I'm talking about is on the Equipment page. The small overhead pic of your drumkit right after the sponsor banners/pics. I'd love to put it on my wall behind my Gretsch kit.

Wishing you all the best in your personal and professional life!

Yours sincerely,
Matthew (Matyas Szoke from Hungary)

P.S.: Sorry for any grammar mistakes, english isn't really my forte.

Last edited by szokematyi; 09-16-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:11 PM

Hi Gavin,
Just a quick message to let you know I received my copy of the Circles dvd-a and I absolutely love it. It sounds fantastic! Jakko did a wonderful job mixing. Kudos to him! I personally think this music translates better in surround so I hope to see a release of Drop and perhaps the new album in surround as well :)
Cheers!
Santi
Old 09-16-2010, 10:35 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Moonloop

Situations like this can happen of course - so you have to prioritise one over the other. When I joined King Crimson it wasn't the case that I might have to leave PT to do it. It was deliberately timed to be in PT 'down time'. You can't really be in two bands at the same unless both bands are happy to work around each other for your availability - or it's the kind of band where you can get someone else in to cover for you with little or no rehearsal.

Hi anders_slåke

What beaters do you use on your Axis a longboards?
What is your opinion on the Marksman beaters vs the Sonic Hammers?

I use the Marksman beaters - I found the Sonic Hammers too strange for me.

Hi LukeSnyder

I was wondering, if you had to name a single lick that was your favorite of all time, what would that be?

I don't have a favourite lick - but I do find the RLRRL sticking (as Swiss Matthias pointed out) very versatile. And of course if you add a bass drum or pedaled hi hat at the end of it you have a nice six note run.

Hi Nige86

Do you still own your Delite and Designer kits? Or was one of them an endorsee kit as such?

I have a Designer set at home - an SQ2 set in USA which has the same shells as a DeLight - and an SQ2 set in Europe. All three are 'endorser' sets - which means I don't actually own any of them.

Hi Tarthur

I have read, that you use shoes while you play, because if you didn't it'd hurt. My question is how does it hurt?

It hurts the ball of my foot - so therefore I hardly ever do it.

Hi Ramtin HajatDoust

I don't worry about leakage too much. If something isn't sounding right I might move the mic or cymbal or whatever is causing a problem. I don't use gates or limiters - but I do use compressors and reverbs.

Hi lperry

The opening riffs to "Futile" and "Mother and Child Divided" each feature a clever syncopation of what turns out to be straight time. Although the guitar does the riffing in each of these songs, the mathematical subdivision of the time seems more drummerly than guitaristic. Did you write those sections, or is Steven Wilson a rhythmaniac too? :-)

I wrote those sections.

Hi szokematyi

One request: Is there any chance to get a big size version of one of the pictures on your homepage? The one I'm talking about is on the Equipment page. The small overhead pic of your drumkit right after the sponsor banners/pics. I'd love to put it on my wall behind my Gretsch kit.

I don't have a really big version of that picture - sorry this is the biggest I could upload for you.

Name:  GavIMG_7314.jpg
Views: 12444
Size:  404.8 KB

cheers
Gavin
Old 09-16-2010, 10:51 PM

Hi Gavin

Apologies if this is mentioned elsewhere (I did try a search) but do you use any sound isolation screens in your home studio?
In some videos it looks like you have them in front of your kit, but not around it?

If this is the case, which do you use and how does it help your own personal sound?

Looking forward to the Jakszyk, Fripp & Collins CD!

Thanks
Graham
Old 09-16-2010, 11:07 PM

Gavin,
I have no question to ask, just a statement. Your my inspiration for all that i do, and i love every single thing you have ever composed.

Justin.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:34 AM
Gold Member

ooooooooh that picture you uploaded was featured in your interview in an issue of modern drummer about a year back now? hahah awesome!
Old 09-18-2010, 12:26 PM

Hi Gavin,

since the Incident Tour you're using these Vic Firth Grip Drumsticks. (Correct me if I'm wrong!)
I was wondering what kind of Model you are using? I've seen in different Interviews where you sit behind your Drumkit that you're using a Stick with an autograph on it which a little bit looked like yours... (Maybe a Signature Model from you?) But on another interview or picture you were using just the normal "Rock" model if I've seen that right!?
So, what kind of Drumsticks are you using?

Kind Regards
Old 09-19-2010, 02:07 PM
Silver Member

hey Gavin,

couldn't you make a short video how you are going to tune a snare?
for example a 14*5?

That would be great :)

Thanks
Take Care
Old 09-19-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdrums View Post
Hi Gavin,

since the Incident Tour you're using these Vic Firth Grip Drumsticks. (Correct me if I'm wrong!)
I was wondering what kind of Model you are using? I've seen in different Interviews where you sit behind your Drumkit that you're using a Stick with an autograph on it which a little bit looked like yours... (Maybe a Signature Model from you?) But on another interview or picture you were using just the normal "Rock" model if I've seen that right!?
So, what kind of Drumsticks are you using?

Kind Regards
Hey!
I'm not totally sure about this, but I think that in one pair of Gavin's sticks he got one normal rock stick and one with the signature. Me and a friend of mine was very lucky to each of us getting a broken stick before a concert. I got a normal one and he got one with a signature.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-19-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anders_slåke View Post
Hey!
I'm not totally sure about this, but I think that in one pair of Gavin's sticks he got one normal rock stick and one with the signature. Me and a friend of mine was very lucky to each of us getting a broken stick before a concert. I got a normal one and he got one with a signature.

Hope this helps!
Yes, that really helps - Thanks!!
So, that's also that what I thought about.... Can you maybe get a photo of your friends one with the Signature on it? I know that kind of normal "Rock" stick so if you can get a photo of the one with the signature I know both of them and you'll make me very happy! ;-)
Old 09-20-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdrums View Post
Yes, that really helps - Thanks!!
So, that's also that what I thought about.... Can you maybe get a photo of your friends one with the Signature on it? I know that kind of normal "Rock" stick so if you can get a photo of the one with the signature I know both of them and you'll make me very happy! ;-)
I'm sorry my friend moved away this summer, but it's just like a normal rock stick only that the "American Classic Rock Vic Grip" logo is changed with Gavin's signature! :-)
Old 09-20-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalma View Post
hey Gavin,

couldn't you make a short video how you are going to tune a snare?
for example a 14*5?

That would be great :)

Thanks
Take Care
It would probably look a lot like these:
http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/b...rumtuning.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxm3QunDjUs

;)

Last edited by Mr. Brownstone; 09-20-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anders_slåke View Post
I'm sorry my friend moved away this summer, but it's just like a normal rock stick only that the "American Classic Rock Vic Grip" logo is changed with Gavin's signature! :-)
Oh okay - no problem... Thanks anyway!!
Now I know what's going on with the two different looking Sticks! ;-)