DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 05-30-2010, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

It was a pleasure meeting you in person. It was great to have the chance to ask you at least a few of the gazillions of questions I have when going through all the exercises in your books and listening to your music. There were a few things I will take away, especially your repeated advice to try to "hear" displaced or modulated grooves as a completely new groove before actually playing them. So far my approach probably still focusses too much on the original groove... will have to work on that.

Although a few other class mates I talked to afterwards recognized me as the "guy that asked so much", I can only say that I really wasn't aware of that. I was just trying to cover as much as possible within 90mins ;-).

And be sure, despite all the technical problems in the afternoon, it was amazing as always to watch you. With Porcupine Tree you are usually quite hidden behind your set but yesterday I could get some good views on at least a few things you were doing. By the way... I really missed "Bonnie The Cat".

I had a great time (Benny Greb was also absolutely fantastic) and I hope you did too. See you next time.

Last edited by ChrisGau; 05-30-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:51 PM

Hi Gavin, incredible drumming today! Your perfomance alone was reason enough to come to Bad Berleburg, although i only managed to see you on the main stage.

I didn't figure how to count bonnie the cat 4/4, but nevermind :-D

What went wrong when you did that classical finger sound of yours on the Tom? It looked like you were sliding too fast somehow and made no sound?^^ or was that on purpose, maybe it worked and I didn't get it?

Anyway, thank you so much for coming, maybe I'll get into masterclass next year!

Bye

Last edited by Joethebeat; 05-30-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:41 PM

Hi Gavin!
Thanks a thousand times for the great day at Sonor....and the time to sign my little snare!
The masterclass was great,it was just a relaxing scene where every question could be answered and everyone got out verrry happy.
I hope this wasnt the last time I could be part of it and I hope you enjoyed it as much as we did!

...and...the show on the mainstage was superb!

Get home safely,come back soon!:-)

Old 05-31-2010, 12:39 AM

Who cut off Gav's arms ????
Old 06-01-2010, 11:56 PM

Gavin,

Just watched that video of you testing out the KORG WAVEDRUM on youtube. Looked like you were having fun seeing what it could do. Which begs me to ask, would you ever consider complimenting your acoustic set with any electronic pads (similar to Bill Bruford's 1980's setup)? Or do you prefer a strictly acoustic sound?

Speaking of electronics, during Bonnie the Cat there is a spot in the song where it sounds like everything goes into a MONO format audio... not sure if that's correct, but it is definitely lower in volume for a few bars, and the drums sound almost electronic.

Thanks for your time
Cheers

Eric
Old 06-02-2010, 10:50 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Thaard

When will the next album with 05ric be released?

I don't know but we are working on a new one at the moment.

Hi Swiss Matthias

I have a question concerning bass drum tuning: I find it quite hard sometimes, especially with bigger sizes - do you make sure each lug has the same tension, like you probably do with the toms? Do you tune the reso-head lower than the batter? I often struggle with the deep frequencies, it's hard to hear if the heads are evenly in tension.

I try to make each lug have the same tension. The front head is a little lower in pitch than the batter side.

Hi Fox622003

As for Futile, I wrote down some of the part you mentioned on that live performance (HERE's the link). I hope I got it right this time, as I'd really like to take it to the kit. Those at the beginning are groups of 5, right? And yeah, I see you playing tons of ghost notes in the middle, I don't know what all that is about.

what notation program do you use? It looks very confused. At the start of your third bar it should be a dotted eight followed by a 16th then a 16th rest and then a bass drum etc. It kind of looks wrong. I can't understand the second beat of bar two either.

Hi Joethebeat

I didn't figure how to count bonnie the cat 4/4, but nevermind :-D

I think there's a transcription of that rhythm somewhere on here on the forum.

What went wrong when you did that classical finger sound of yours on the Tom? It looked like you were sliding too fast somehow and made no sound?^^ or was that on purpose, maybe it worked and I didn't get it?

That trick only goes right about 70% of the time...guess I was unlucky.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

Just watched that video of you testing out the KORG WAVEDRUM on youtube. Looked like you were having fun seeing what it could do. Which begs me to ask, would you ever consider complimenting your acoustic set with any electronic pads (similar to Bill Bruford's 1980's setup)? Or do you prefer a strictly acoustic sound?

I really like the Wavedrum - and I still have the original one as well. I did use it a little bit on the most recent PT album. I might use it in my live setup one day - but I'm not interested in having pads all over the kit.

Speaking of electronics, during Bonnie the Cat there is a spot in the song where it sounds like everything goes into a MONO format audio... not sure if that's correct, but it is definitely lower in volume for a few bars, and the drums sound almost electronic.

They are my drums but put through a filter.

cheers
Gavin
Old 06-02-2010, 08:01 PM

Gavin,

Question about 'Sentimental', which I cannot stop listening to repeatedly :)
I try to count out the intro following the piano. To me I can count one bar of 5/4 and then possibly a bar of 6/4. Which would equal 11/4. However the chorus sounds like it's in 4/4.

The drums on that track are hard to follow, esp intro/verse... everyone wants to "hear" the snare on 2 and 4, but your mastery of displacement always seems to throw me off... good practice for me I guess.

So basically, my question is: what IS the timing for this beautifully composed song?
Old 06-02-2010, 08:21 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

It's all in 4/4. The piano at the start is playing a dotted 8th note illusion.

cheers
Gavin
Old 06-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
It's all in 4/4. The piano at the start is playing a dotted 8th note illusion.

cheers
Gavin
Concerning this illusion, I always wonder whether it's on purpose that the piano doesn't keep up the illusion at the outro but instead plays a very similar figure that fits into the bar? To me it sounds a bit like the pianist forgot what exactly he played through the first part of the song :) .
Old 06-02-2010, 08:52 PM

Hi Gavin,

Have you ever tried to attach your snare stand at your rack?.
It´s really comfortable. We´ve been trying it on a DW rack, with two Gibraltar clamps and a tube, and this is the result...

Greetings and thanks for the inspiration.
Gustavo
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Hi Fox622003

As for Futile, I wrote down some of the part you mentioned on that live performance (HERE's the link). I hope I got it right this time, as I'd really like to take it to the kit. Those at the beginning are groups of 5, right? And yeah, I see you playing tons of ghost notes in the middle, I don't know what all that is about.

what notation program do you use? It looks very confused. At the start of your third bar it should be a dotted eight followed by a 16th then a 16th rest and then a bass drum etc. It kind of looks wrong. I can't understand the second beat of bar two either.
I use Guitar Pro 5, we use it to keep precise track of my band's songs, so I also write anything there, it's not perfect for notation, but has quite a bit of stuff. Anyway, Bar 3: It starts with a dotted eighth, and is followed by an eighth note, which is the same as a sixteenth + a sixteenth rest (two sixteenths). Same with the second beat of bar two, just an eighth replacing two sixteenths.
Here's the program's playback of what's written.
Also, the same transcription, but changed the eighths to a sixteenth + a sixteenth rest, in matters of time it's the same, and since there's nothing in between, and the cymbal keeps sounding, I thought it was more of a legato thing, so that's why I wrote an eighth in the first place, the sound doesn't really stop, as if there was a rest. But it's really the same.

Fox.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: mp3 porcupine tree - futile (modern drummer fest 2008).mp3 (420.4 KB, 444 views)
Old 06-02-2010, 10:09 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Swiss Matthias

Concerning this illusion, I always wonder whether it's on purpose that the piano doesn't keep up the illusion at the outro but instead plays a very similar figure that fits into the bar? To me it sounds a bit like the pianist forgot what exactly he played through the first part of the song :) .

I feel illusion works at the beginning because there's been no other time reference. At the end it wouldn't be such an illusion because everyone has understood the tempo by that point.

Hi Gus

Have you ever tried to attach your snare stand at your rack?.
It´s really comfortable. We´ve been trying it on a DW rack, with two Gibraltar clamps and a tube, and this is the result...

Looks good - I've never tried it. Doesn't the snare wobble when you hit it really hard?

Hi Fox622003

I use Guitar Pro 5, we use it to keep precise track of my band's songs, so I also write anything there, it's not perfect for notation, but has quite a bit of stuff. Anyway, Bar 3: It starts with a dotted eighth, and is followed by an eighth note, which is the same as a sixteenth + a sixteenth rest (two sixteenths). Same with the second beat of bar two, just an eighth replacing two sixteenths.Also, the same transcription, but changed the eighths to a sixteenth + a sixteenth rest, in matters of time it's the same, and since there's nothing in between, and the cymbal keeps sounding, I thought it was more of a legato thing, so that's why I wrote an eighth in the first place, the sound doesn't really stop, as if there was a rest. But it's really the same.

I understand - but it's illegible by normal reading standards. You can't really place a dotted 8th followed by an 8th (unless it was just a bar of 5/16). Traditionally you would put a dotted 8th followed by a 16th tied to the next 16th of the next group. That's why I'm struggling with the notation as it is. A lot of notation programs wouldn't even allow you to do that. How you've written it isn't wrong mathematically - it's just outside the excepted standard of reading notation.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 06-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I understand - but it's illegible by normal reading standards. You can't really place a dotted 8th followed by an 8th (unless it was just a bar of 5/16). Traditionally you would put a dotted 8th followed by a 16th tied to the next 16th of the next group. That's why I'm struggling with the notation as it is. A lot of notation programs wouldn't even allow you to do that. How you've written it isn't wrong mathematically - it's just outside the excepted standard of reading notation.
I guess it's more confusing to read, and if it is a legato thing like I mentioned, I'll tie it to the next sixteenth from now on, you must know what you are saying. Sorry for confusing you, I'm glad the part's finally down (?) at least :-).
All the best Gavin, thanks for taking the time.

Fox.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:32 PM

Hi Gavin,

I have two questions about overriding. You use the dotted quaver override in 7/8 patterns like on What happens now? I think I can play the override good but I'm having troubles with the ghostnotes on the snare. Do you play 16ths, 8ths, triplets or something else as ghost notes on the snare? And do you just hit the bell of the ride or do you also play on the "edge" (more in a ghost note style?)

Also, for the song Last Call, when I first heard the track I thought you where playing an override as it sounded like that. On the dvd, you said that you played every second triplet (in the group of 3). Is it actually an override because that is how I perceive it?

Cheers!
Santi
Old 06-03-2010, 12:03 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantiBanks View Post
Hi Gavin,

I have two questions about overriding. You use the dotted quaver override in 7/8 patterns like on What happens now? I think I can play the override good but I'm having troubles with the ghostnotes on the snare.

Ghost notes? But aren't you a keyboard player man :P?

Fox.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox622003 View Post
Ghost notes? But aren't you a keyboard player man :P?

Fox.
A bit offtopic but yes I am but I always considered it my secondary instrument (which you wouldn't tell by the collection of synths, racks and boards I have…) . Though I'm back at the drumstool thanks to Gavin :) He really poked my interest and fascination for rhythm and the drumset with his remarkable talents and especially taste. Currently renting a rehearsal room with drumkit to practice and work on Gavins concepts and I have a mesh head practice pad to practice on at home. I'm comparing options for a practice mesh kit for in my tiny flat as I like to have something for myself to practice on.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:

Looks good - I've never tried it. Doesn't the snare wobble when you hit it really hard?
Hi Gavin,

I know that you have a really heavy pounding, which i don´t really have, but i would say it won´t move unpleasantly. The length of the tube isn´t too much, and the whole structure of the rack helps to keep it all steady, i think.
I picked up the idea from a friend with a Pearl rack holding a Stewart Copeland steel snare, and the DW rack is holding an Edge snare (around 10 pounds weight!) and it works OK to me on both racks!.

Greetings
Gustavo
Old 06-04-2010, 01:00 AM

First off, I am new to the forum; very glad to be here. That said,..... should I ask a Q that has already been addressed, I apologize in advance.

Gavin, you are an absolute inspiration in so many ways; Thank You!
I feel as a drummer it is very difficult to create one's own "voice" as opposed to, say, a melodic player. (Even Still Hard) You are amongst the very few that I believe have. I applaud you and all of the time and work you have spent perfecting your "voice". You must have a level of self-discipline I can only dream of! I sit in awe when listening to your playing, as do 99% of my friends and family; most of whom are not musicians. I very much admire your cool humbleness, you seem in no way an ego-maniacal "rock star". You carry yourself in a very respectable, admirable way; Cheers! (Either that or your acting talents are congruent with your drumming) I am sure you have heard enough about how amazing you are so I digress....

I am a huge fan of your "Kick" sound. I have heard all kinds of things about how you attain it: heavy pillows, wood, miking, heads etc.. Someone mentioned to me you use something to stiffen/harden the batter side. I love this feel however, I have not been successful at creating it well without giving up something in return; namely having a batter head that is tensioned too high, thus ruining the low punch I love. In short, what methods do you use to create your kick sound? 1)Tuning, 2)Muffling, 3)Miking and 4)Stiffening batter-head of the Kick?

Your input is invaluable! Thank You! Keep up the Mind-Blowing Work!
Old 06-04-2010, 04:02 AM

Hi gavin!
just one question, I just saw de video of My Ashes Live in Tilburg (and it's amazing!) but i think you changed the ride you use permanently at live shows, am i rigth? because I see that is bigger, i think...

Wich is this?

cheers!
Old 06-04-2010, 08:25 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGR8DCVER View Post
First off, I am new to the forum; very glad to be here. That said,..... should I ask a Q that has already been addressed, I apologize in advance.
You should search through this forum and also check http://www.askgavinharrison.com

This question has been asked 1000 times..

Greets
David
Old 06-04-2010, 04:27 PM

I took up drumming again last year after about 23 years of non-drumming, and Gavin is one of the reasons why I keep enjoying the drums.

Good drumming is not only about good timekeeping but also about the little things the drummer does or, sometimes, does not do at all. Gavin is so incredibly versatile... To date, he is my biggest example.

It must be terribly boring for him to read all these superlatives. :-D

There is one thing I'm really curious about. He says somewhere that he's got fifty plus cymbals at home. Since he is endorsed by Zildjian, I was wondering if he uses/has used any other brand and what his impressions were comparing cymbals.

I know, tricky question :) Maybe Gavin will read this?
Old 06-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Gold Member

Whats your pint of choice?

F
Old 06-04-2010, 07:07 PM

Hi Gavin,

Congrats to you and the others PT guys for the new dvd, it's so gooood !!
Please, try to come in France for a show soon :)

Bye

Alex P.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalma View Post
You should search through this forum and also check http://www.askgavinharrison.com

This question has been asked 1000 times..

Greets
David
Yeah, I think it rivals the one about the Custom Bells :P!

Fox.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:45 PM

@Kalma Thanks for the info. My apologies for my ignorance on the subject.

@FOX62203 Yeah, probably rivals the snare wire question too! Is this a Q&A forum? Hmm I think it is? Thank you for the answer to my question @Kalma

Observation:
Seeing as how there are well over one hundred pages of questions there is bound to be a bit of redundancy. Especially considering that there are multi-thousands of questions that we all have for Gavin. No need to be an a** there are plenty of other forums out there for you to do that.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry B. View Post
Hey everybody,

I figured that there would be a few questions about Gavin's groove on "Bonnie the Cat".

Here's a quick little transcription:

Enjoy!

Terry
I'm certainly a novice when it comes to reading transcriptions, maybe I'm just viewing this askew, but to me it looks like he hits the snare twice (bah bah) in between the first bass note and the second one at the very beginning of the transcription., yet I can't hear any snare hits. how would I be able to tell the difference between a snare shot and a ghost note?

Thanks
Old 06-05-2010, 12:21 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoric_anomaly View Post
I'm certainly a novice when it comes to reading transcriptions, maybe I'm just viewing this askew, but to me it looks like he hits the snare twice (bah bah) in between the first bass note and the second one at the very beginning of the transcription., yet I can't hear any snare hits. how would I be able to tell the difference between a snare shot and a ghost note?

Thanks
The one with the accents (">" over them) are the actual, well, accents :P The others are (mostly) ghosted, but some are more audible than others, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGR8DCVER View Post
Observation:
Seeing as how there are well over one hundred pages of questions there is bound to be a bit of redundancy. Especially considering that there are multi-thousands of questions that we all have for Gavin. No need to be an a** there are plenty of other forums out there for you to do that.
The site you were referenced to has many sections, and it's a lot easier to cover than the actual forum. Shouldn't be too hard to find out if your question has been asked or not.

Fox.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoric_anomaly View Post

Thanks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huCBXUAmle0

Between 0:14 and 0:22 is the groove for bonnie the cat. Maybe it helps you a bit :)
Old 06-05-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantiBanks View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huCBXUAmle0

Between 0:14 and 0:22 is the groove for bonnie the cat. Maybe it helps you a bit :)
Thank you :) That clears everything up. I just couldn't hear it in the studio version.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:52 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi SantiBanks

I have two questions about overriding. You use the dotted quaver override in 7/8 patterns like on What happens now? I think I can play the override good but I'm having troubles with the ghostnotes on the snare. Do you play 16ths, 8ths, triplets or something else as ghost notes on the snare? And do you just hit the bell of the ride or do you also play on the "edge" (more in a ghost note style?)

where I can - I generally play the ghost notes as 16ths in that pattern. I play the bell of the ride in that section.

Also, for the song Last Call, when I first heard the track I thought you where playing an override as it sounded like that. On the dvd, you said that you played every second triplet (in the group of 3). Is it actually an override because that is how I perceive it?

No I didn't say that I played every second triplet. I said that the second bass drum note and the main snare accent lands on the second triplet. There's no overriding going on in that song - the hi hat is generally 4 in a bar. Have you seen Terry's transcription of it in the Rhythmic Designs book?

Hi ZGR8DCVER

I am a huge fan of your "Kick" sound. I have heard all kinds of things about how you attain it: heavy pillows, wood, miking, heads etc.. Someone mentioned to me you use something to stiffen/harden the batter side. I love this feel however, I have not been successful at creating it well without giving up something in return; namely having a batter head that is tensioned too high, thus ruining the low punch I love. In short, what methods do you use to create your kick sound? 1)Tuning, 2)Muffling, 3)Miking and 4)Stiffening batter-head of the Kick?

The tuning is pretty loose. Inside is a fairly large pillow that rests against both heads. That's the reason that the batter head is a bit 'stiff' and the head doesn't move too much. The mics (in my studio at home) are Audix D6 - Shure SM91 on the pillow - Sennheiser MKH40 pointing at the front head. There's some further explanation here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOJOACCcEgE

Hi Zildjoe

just one question, I just saw de video of My Ashes Live in Tilburg (and it's amazing!) but i think you changed the ride you use permanently at live shows, am i rigth? because I see that is bigger, i think...

No it's exactly the same Zildjian 20"K Ride that I've used for many years.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

the hard thing about playing ghost notes is to know how loud you need to play them. Sometimes when all the other instruments are playing they drown out the ghost notes. In this particular pattern it's really important to play them anyway as the groove feels quite different if you play it without them.

cheers
Gavin
Old 06-07-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Hi SantiBanks

where I can - I generally play the ghost notes as 16ths in that pattern. I play the bell of the ride in that section.
Thanks for clarifying that up! Time to work on it :)

Quote:
No I didn't say that I played every second triplet. I said that the second bass drum note and the main snare accent lands on the second triplet. There's no overriding going on in that song - the hi hat is generally 4 in a bar. Have you seen Terry's transcription of it in the Rhythmic Designs book?
Sorry to have misunderstood the dvd. I'll check the video again and I'll check the transcription and try to read it (I'm very bad at reading music, be it a drumscore or a pianoscore. I always work out stuff by ear or write the notes under the staves with piano scores and work trough it bar by bar… Gives me the advantage of knowing 100+ songs from the op of my head, but gives me the disadvantage of inflexibility)

Btw, did I notice correctly, on the new dvd, that you are playing the beginning of "Sleep togheter" open handed? If so, is there a particular reason for this?

Thanks for your time.
Santi
Old 06-07-2010, 01:21 PM

i've received today your new dvd!!
royal mail is more faster than light!
your sounds are AMAZING!
Old 06-07-2010, 08:16 PM

Hello again Gavin, I have a quick question on your high hats. How far apart do you keep the top and the bottom separated and how loose is your top high hat, and could you explain why you have it set the way you do?

Cheers!

Last edited by Deathtoll; 06-07-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojojojojo View Post
hi gavin,

you did very well at the sonor days.great hanging out with you.

could you explain the beginning part of drawing the line.i can´t quite figure out what happens there.are there a lot of ghost notes played by one hand on the snare.or is it played hand to hand?

thanks for sharing your ideas

god bless

jo
As far as I know he just plays the notes in between the notes on the Snare with the left hand.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:16 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Santibanks,

did I notice correctly, on the new dvd, that you are playing the beginning of "Sleep togheter" open handed? If so, is there a particular reason for this?

You're correct - and I played it like that because I wanted to play 16ths on the snare drum.

Hi Deathtoll

I have a quick question on your high hats. How far apart do you keep the top and the bottom separated and how loose is your top high hat, and could you explain why you have it set the way you do?

I would say the cymbals are about two inches apart. The top cymbal is pretty loose because I like to really lay into the hi hats on the heavy songs. If you have your cymbals really close together you can't really play the hi hat effectively with your left foot or get a good clean "chick" or "splash" sound.

Hi Hi jojojojojo

could you explain the beginning part of drawing the line.i can´t quite figure out what happens there.are there a lot of ghost notes played by one hand on the snare.or is it played hand to hand?

It's quite a complicated pattern - and I tend to do a lot of the ghosts (but not all) with my right hand.

Now - for all the folks who have asked me so many times about my white 12x5 snare drum. Sonor are making a Ltd Special Edition of this drum (in celebration of their 135th year). You may have seen me play it on video clips on the net. Modern Drummer Festival - Clinics etc. If you want one you're going to have to be quick. Contact your nearest Sonor dealer.

Name:  SE_G_Harrison_Snare2.jpg
Views: 3089
Size:  903.0 KB
cheers
Gavin
Old 06-09-2010, 01:01 AM
Gold Member

Quote:

Attachment 34276
cheers
Gavin
Congrats on the signature snare!

You make it sound as if a very limited number will be made, if so do you know how many (approx.) there will be?

I look forward to owning one!!

-Jonathan

and a like facebook.com/tylordorytrio
Old 06-09-2010, 01:23 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

This isn't my signature snare. It's a special edition to mark their 135th year to coincide with the "Sonor Days" event that I just took part in at the Factory in Germany - they have remade the exact drum that I play quite a lot - the Designer 12x5 which hasn't been made in quite a few years. I don't know exactly how many will be made - but I understand that it will only be available for a short time.

cheers
Gavin
Old 06-09-2010, 04:18 AM
Silver Member

Are those snares available for sale anywhere yet? I... think I need one of those lol.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
This isn't my signature snare. It's a special edition to mark their 135th year to coincide with the "Sonor Days" event that I just took part in at the Factory in Germany - they have remade the exact drum that I play quite a lot - the Designer 12x5 which hasn't been made in quite a few years. I don't know exactly how many will be made - but I understand that it will only be available for a short time.

cheers
Gavin
Order placed with my Sonor dealer....As I understand it, a very short run.

F
Old 06-09-2010, 05:58 PM

Hi Gavin,

Ive got an interesting question I asked myself these days,because I had some hard weeks (or months?) on work and not really much time I could spend on drumming (simply no time or just too tired...).
Because of this bad situation I asked myself again,what makes me love playing this instrument?

I think I love the rhythmic physical activity,the position to be able to lead other musicians or change the whole musical situation with a few notes.Of course I love the sound of drums and the possibility to change it completely as I like (the tuning and the creation of my own personal setup of drums and cymbals in a way I like)...well,these are the main reasons...

It took me some time to think about this all,but the results make me happy.

So...what makes you love drums,what do you feel while hitting the drums?

Thanks for everything you want to share!

Chris

PS:Ive been looking for a 12x5 Designer for a long time...that special edition looks good!