DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 10-21-2006, 12:00 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hey Gav, here's their myspace site-check out the excerpt from Milliontown

http://www.myspace.com/milliontown

The songwriter normally writes for Atomic Kitten and Shayne Ward!!.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:39 AM

Hey, Gavin. I recently bought your new DVD. It is by far the most amazing DVD i've ever experienced. I have been able to master the 5-5-7 pattern, with both quarter notes and three sixteenths over it. I feel so amazing. But it's really because of you, since its your idea. The last thing I posted was about that triplet paradiddle riff that you do a lot in the solo on the DVD and then also at the end of Gravity Eyelids (around like 6:17) and since then, I've got a decent handle on that riff. I sort of extend it to RLRRLR so it's 7/16 sort of, and i have been able to GREATLY utilise (british spelling, for your benefit) that idea in many songs with my prog metal band. So thanks for the inspiration and I'm never taking that DVD out of my player! P.S. Where can I find a copy of Mother and Child divided or whatever that song is? everyone's talking about it but I can't find it.

Thanks,
Foog
Old 10-23-2006, 12:12 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hey Midnite Mike,
you've never heard of ambience mics? Maybe I'm using the wrong term? These are stereo mics that are set up at a fair distance from the drums so they pic up more of the room sound and less of the close sound. (I've already got the close sound with the mics directly by the drum skins). Then I can mix in both sounds - dry close mics - and distant ambient mics.
I'm using the Neumanns about 6 to 8 feet in front of the drums - and then the Schoeps about 40 feet away.

Hi Foog,
wow - glad you like it that much!!!! There's a version of Mother & Child Divided on the new PT Live DVD. Also on the "Rockpalast" show (of which the audio is downloadable from ...

http://www.burningshed.com/index.asp...d&returnid=103

Cheers
Gavin
Old 10-24-2006, 12:05 AM

Hi Gavin!

I just discovered PT about a year ago (thank you Andy VanDette), and I absolutely love the band and, in particular, your playing. I am very interested in your instructional DVDs and was wondering if they are only available from the PT shop or if they are available from any retail in the US?

Secondly, I noticed that you have a co-writing credit on Futile, Mother and Child Divided, The Start of Something Beautiful, So Called Friend, and Halo. These are among some of my favorites. I am curious how involved you are in the writing of the songs and if there are any possible new ones from the forthcoming PT album?

Finally, a technical question regarding Mother and Child Divided - I've seen versions from both the RockPalast show and the new DVD (Do you prefer one performance over the other?) You previously mentioned in this thread that you sometimes perform a triplet bass drum roll and the end of the phrase - are you using some type of high hat clamp to keep it closed while playing kick with both pedals? Also, it appears that this little (broken?) triplet is preceded by a couple ghost notes on the snare - just how many notes are in there on the snare/kick?

That's just a sick groove (as is Muzac, Futile, etc.) Thanks for the inspiration!
Old 10-24-2006, 01:08 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi cygnify,
at the moment my new DVD Rhythmic Horizons is only available from the PT shop.

http://www.burningshed.com/index.asp...age=band&id=80

Halo, So Called Friend and Glass Arm Shattering - all came out of band writing sessions. The other co-writes that I did mainly started with a drum idea that I developed and worked on with Steve Wilson.

I don't really have a preference of performance of M&C Divided on the PT LIve DVD or Rockpalast - because I can't really remember them. Which one do you like?
I do use a Tama Cobra Clutch in that song. I love it - I actually designed something like this many years ago - I'm so glad someone got round to making one because it's so useful if you dabble a bit in double pedal (as I sometimes do).
I think you may be correct about the ghost note thing. I tend to play a 16th note Ghost note after a main backbeat. I guess it's the Jeff Porcaro influence coming through!!!

Cheers
Gavin
Old 10-25-2006, 05:31 AM

Gavin,
Thanks for taking the time to answer everyone's questions. I am truly impressed by the speed at which you repsond sometimes.

I've been playing drums for 14 years and have been in a bit of a slump. I must say that after watching the new PT DVD I was completely blown away and I found the inspiration to keep on playing.

I do have a question/request of my own though. Would it possible for you to post the drums, cymbals, etc... you used during the show on the DVD? I'm sure other folks here would be interested in knowing as well.

Thanks again.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:37 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi sclemmer

Here's a list of the drums/cymbals that I used on that PT Live DVD.
:
SONOR DeLite in Birdseye Azure
Toms 8x8, 10x8, 12x9, 14x12, 16x14 (all with Remo coated Emperors on top, clear Ambassadors on bottom)
Kick 22x17 (Powerstroke 3 clear)
Snares- varies; usually main is Sonor Black Steel 14x5 (Remo Emperor X head) with an aux 12" (Remo Ambassador head) to the left of the hi-hat

Cymbals:
14" Oriental China Trash
5 custom made bells
13" K Hi-Hats
19" K Crash
6" A Custom Splash
8" EFX
15" A Custom Crash
20" K Ride
18" A Custom Crash
12" Oriental China Trash
18" A Custom China

(Note: All cymbals are Zildjian and are listed in the order they appear from left to right. The five custom bells were made from some old broken Zildjian crash cymbals.)

Cheers
Gavin
Old 10-26-2006, 01:59 AM

Awesome, thank you very much for the info. I do appreciate it.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:00 AM

Dear Sir,
it was exactly an hour ago when i was informed that a great drumming persona such as yourself has actually bothered to spend some time off and grace this part of cyber space with his presence.....i think itll still take some time to sink in...

so anyway its an honour to be able to communicat with you in such a fashion. id lik u to know that uv been one of my mentors (along with danny carey, josh freese, tim alexander) ever since i heard in absentia for the first time.....which was about 2 years ago

im goin to leave all the praises out (for now) cuz i know im gona fall short of words to describe the beauty of ur playing skills. ill jump straight to the most annoying bit of being such a great drummer .....that is to be able to provide answers to the most naive questions possible so here goes

1) im from india....and sonor was recently launched here.....all this while iv been using a mapex q series kit (wch i love for the price) but now im ready for an upgrade
considerin the prices here in india are high even for the starter level kits....id like to know if it would be worth buying a sonor force drumkit (505, 1005 or 2005)
also kindly suggest wch of the above i should go in for

2) iv been using a mapex janus ergo double bass pedal.....but im really stuck up on the sonor big beat cuz danny careys been usin it for some time now
do u suggest i go in for one of those ?.....if not is ther any other pedal besides the longboard that i could try

3) i have a 32-note xylophone but have absolutely not the slightest idea of how to play it......all i can play are some random notes by ear....but id lik to learn the scales as well....so is ther a book or a dvd that ud recommend

4) http://www.emusicpost.com/techtalk.html
if u ever find the time....pls read my interview wch was taken recently.....hehe it has ur name in it

5) also....is it possible for me to take ur interview and put it up on that site ?
cuz u hav a LOT of fans here in india and im sure theyd love to read one

6) lastly
im sure youv heard of the legendry Zakir Hussain.....well every year he invites great drummers from all over the world to play at a fuction that is held as a tribute to his late father
this year mr terry bozzio was down with his entire kit (phew) and i had the opportunity of meeting him
last year it was mr steve smith. i managed to meet him as well and get him to sign my hi hats...wooo hoooo
so i was wondering if ud come down here next year in feb....if i manage to get to mr zakir hussain and request him to request u to come down :)
its a dream to actually see u play in person

anyway thanks for taking time off to read this and sorry for having bothered you
hamza
(PS i play for a prog rock/metal band....we cover tool, opeth and porcupine tree)
Old 10-28-2006, 12:28 PM

Hello Gavin...Im a huge fan of your playing. I was just wondering what you are currently practising on and trying to improve in your own playing?

You already kick ass, but its interresting to know where you can go from that.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:44 PM

Hi Gavin,

I have been listening to Porcupine Tree for years and I must admit that when I heard In Absentia for the first time I was really fascinated by your drumming. It was something quite diverse from what Chris Maitland was doing at the time. Not only from technical point of view. There are some certain ideas regarding tempo, accuracy and precision. My favourite track in that respect is Gravity Eyelids, which is maybe quite simple rhythmically but very "clear" regarding overall sound. The same space and clearness are also present in Tinto Brass (XM version). I can hear there some Steward Copeland influences (splash work) and even Bill Bruford (snare, tempo - I think both you have very much in common in the way you are "plannig" the beat). There are also mind-blowing changes of tempo in the middle part of that track.

Compering the XM albums and Deadwing the sound of your drum set has changed. The sharp and light tone became more powerfull. It is due to current metal orientation of the band?

Also - I know about Futile and The Start of..., but does Steven give you any rhythmic ideas regarding each particular track sometimes?

And what do you think of using electronics (D-Drums) as a part of the drum set (in the way like for example Pat Mastelotto is using them) ?

Thanks very much,
Best wishes
Piotr
Old 10-28-2006, 02:27 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi drumbumhamza,
thanks for the message.
1. I'm not very familiar with the Sonor Force series - but I have seen and played them at the factory and at trade shows and I think they are very good indeed. In the tradition of Sonor - they are well designed and constructed. I'm sure you would not be unhappy with them. Maybe you could experiment with different skin choices to find a sound that suits your style?

2. I love the Sonor double pedal, it feels really good - I use it on some of my DVD. My feet just got used to playing at higher volumes on the Axis Longboards.

3. I've no idea how to really study xylophone...but playing another instrument apart from drums is a very helpful thing. I play bass and a bit of guitar and keyboards.

4. Ok I'll have a look

5. What interview of mine is it that you want to put up on that site?

6. Zakir Hussain is an amazing musician - I'd love to meet him.

Many thanks
Gavin
Old 10-28-2006, 02:39 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Andrew2,
I'm not practising that much at the moment because I'm busy recording in the studio. But when I do have time, I just explore concepts and improvise ideas. I'm always trying to improve my sense of time - and understanding of rhythm.

Hi piotr,
regarding the difference of drum sound from XM and Deadwing. XM (and XM2) were recorded in 3 hours each, in the studio of XM Radio in Washington DC. The sound of the drums was pretty much the sound the engineer made on the day. Deadwing was recorded in a different way - there was no particular difference in the drums themselves - in fact it was a almost identical kit. Probably the production of Deadwing was a lot more extensive - and also the chance to spend a lot more time on the recording of each track - and on the mixing process.

Sometimes Steven has programmed a drum part on the demo of a song - and sometimes I play almost exactly that. Other times I completely change it. It depends on how well 'designed' the drum part was for the song...and if I think it works.

I have a set of DDrums (and I think they're very good) - but I've gone off playing electronic drums. It really doesn't satisfy me anymore.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 10-28-2006, 08:32 PM

thank you for the reply
i guess ill try those kits out then

about the interview.....the site is a music oriented site that keeps youngs musicians here updated on gigs, workshops, instruments, cds....everything related to music
it has an interview section wch contains interviews of several indian and international musicians.....so i was wonderin wether i cud send u a list of questions (haha not too many....wudn want to bother u much).... the answers to wch wud be put up on the site as an interview

www.emusicpost.com
thats the link

considerin that you are one of the main topics of discussion (amongst drummers) at almost every gig, i thot may be theyd lik to see a few questions answered by the legend himself

awaitin your reply (again :) )
Old 10-28-2006, 11:01 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi drumbumhamza,
ok send me your interview questions via the messages function.

cheers
Gavin

P.S
I'm more of a "leg end" than a "legend"
Old 10-29-2006, 01:01 AM
Pioneer Member

I started thinking about this the other night, and I figured a pro would be the only person able to answer it. How do you keep a relationship (wife, girlfriend) going when youre touring? Thanks.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:01 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Britt,
my girlfriend is very understanding - and is use to me being at home for long stretches or away for short ones....it's just part of my job. The longest time away in any trip is about 6 weeks. Recently it hasn't been more than a month at a time.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 10-30-2006, 01:13 PM

Hi again...Ive been practising to your books now for awhile, or trying to its pretty hard. But could you give me some song recommendations featuring your types of groove modulations, ideas and A and B modes in musical context. Thanks
Old 10-30-2006, 07:44 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi andrew2,
Have you got my two DVD's? There's plenty of tunes with that kind of stuff in.
There's elements of Rhythmic Illusions in the last two Porcupine Tree CD's too.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 10-30-2006, 08:28 PM

Hi Gavin,

I am a few weeks away form purchasing all your books and DVDs, and am really looking forward to giving the brain some high grade chow.
I need to pay off some drum accessories first, and since I will have plenty of time between now and then I know I will need a very good hi-hat foot in order to complete most of the exercises.

Do you have any suggestions or simple patterns that I could work on (that worked for you) just to get this foot more involved so that it is in better shape for taking on your material when it finally arrives? It gets very little to no use whenever I play. I'm referring to the 'chicking' sound created by the foot, no sticks.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:35 PM
Pioneer Member

I am no where near Gavin's level of playing but I hope I can help...

I found that playing the beat on the hit hat while not playing it during songs is the first step. Other than that your left foot needs as much work as your right technique wise to be able to do this for extended periods. I suggest playing along with a metronome and just doing quarter, 8th and 16th notes to also help develop your hi-hat foot.

I am sure Gavin will be able to provide further instruction regarding limb independence but I hope this is helpful for you!!
Old 10-30-2006, 09:39 PM

Hi Gavin,

Thx again for answering all of these questions including my previous question. In haste I forgot to ask you a question that has been troubling me for some time.

Have you ever had issues with cramps, spasms or twitches in muscles while playing? I am 34 years old and this has become a big problem for me in the last year. I have begun drinking more water and eating bananas day before and day of show however it is still a bit of an issue. Has this happened to you or anyone you know in the drumming world ? What was done about it ?

Again, thanks so very much for taking time to communicate with us. I am sure your time is very precious to you and the fact that you have shared so much with us is beyond compliment.

Thanks again and may all your drumming be cramp and spasm free !
Old 10-30-2006, 11:37 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi sonor,
they're good suggestions from TitanSound. I would also add to that playing all the off 16ths with your left foot ("e" "a") whilst playing straight eighth notes with your right hand on the ride cymbal. So the hi hat foot will be playing in-between the ride notes. Get to a comfortable tempo 100 - 120bpm and then play bass drum on 1 and snare drum on 3. It's nice to try and get some ghost notes in on the snare at the same time.
Another one is to play 16th on the snare (about 100bpm) and then play with the left foot a pattern such as this in 3/4.

x x - x x - x x - x x -

Hi Liquid_Drummer,
I don't really have a problem with cramps. Maybe you want to look into the way you grip the sticks? Could you be holding too tightly? I can (very rarely) get a bit sore if I play loud and play a lot of ghost notes at a fast tempo. I do usually suffer with blistering at the start of a tour - but once my calluses come back - I'm fine from then on.
I also eat bananas (for potassium) and drink plenty of water during a show period.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 10-31-2006, 04:22 PM

Gavin,

It happens in forearms mostly and I dont think I grip too tightly but when I "zone" maybe I do. Two shows ago my right leg cramped so bad that it went numb for a minute. I had a charlie horse so bad that I almost had to bail on the song because of the pain. Lucky for me that it went away and didnt return but what a bummer eh ? Last show I played I played softer, paced myself and things were better however the music I play is pretty heavy and angular (think Tool meets early Genesis) and requires a lot of hard hitting. Well maybe requires is the wrong word but emotionaly the music just pushes me to play very hard a lot of the time. Maybe I should ask Mr. Songwriter to explore some more dynamic passages instead of 8 minute explosions ! I am sure there is a technique to play hard and expend less energy however it eludes me at the moment.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:27 AM

Hi Gavin!
I'm huge brazillian fan of your work and I've been talking about you to the whole brazillian drummers community here! I'm amazed at your time keeping and your tasteful grooves and fills you do on PTree's work. I recently purchased the DVD and I watch it every single day just to analyze your playing and suck all the information I can for my own playing!

I was wondering if you could talk a bit about your approach to record drums in the PT enviroment. How many takes, how many days, drum sounds, mixing, producing the drum parts. Well, anything informative would be welcome!

Other question: I noticed you have the Pearl (or Ludwig) hi-hat clutch that you keep turning on and off for some grooves (especially Mother and Child Divided). Was it difficult for you to get used to the system of the clucth? I'm getting one preety soon and any info on that would be really appreciated!

Just wanna say thanks for your drumming... You really changed my perspective about drumming!
Bye!
Old 11-01-2006, 12:24 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Liquid_Drummer,
I know what you mean about playing too hard - and it's a problem I've been fighting for years. I come out to play the first song (full of adrenaline) and play way too loud - because it feels right to hit the drums that hard - just to match the way I'm feeling inside. BUT then I've set the volume level that I'll have to try to maintain for the rest of the show. (I read on Gary Husbands' thread that he does the same thing). I like to play from an emotional point of view - but I really have to tell myself not to over hit the drums and cymbals - and fight my inner urges. Same thing can happen with the tempo - you get all worked up and count the song off too fast because you're pumped with adrenaline. I do try and pace myself a bit by taking it really easy in the ballads and sections that are down in dynamics - and then really go full energy when there's a fast/hard part. I even try to manipulate the set list so that if we play a song like "Futile", "Mother & Child Divided" or "Creator Has A Mastertape" I insist on a slow song straight after it - or a song that I don't play in the first half of.

Hi Heitor,
I've recently talked a bit about microphones etc. a few posts back - but regarding the rest of you question - The new songs that we went out and played live have been pretty easy to record because I've already got a good idea of the layout and dynamics of those pieces. I'll probably do 3 takes and then pick the best one. The other songs that we have written (but not performed) I've spent much longer on developing. Probably a couple of days each song. I've now recorded 8 songs in 6 days.

The hi hat clutch I use is a DW drop clutch - in combination with the Tama Cobra Clutch. In a song like Mother & Child it's mostly the Tama Cobra Clutch that's doing all the work. There's sections that I want a tightly closed hi hat (so I can play the double bass drum pedal) and then I release it back to normal for other sections. Songs like "Deadwing" I use the drop clutch because I want that half sloshy sound from the hi hats.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 11-02-2006, 05:30 PM

Thanks for the tips Gavin, Titan.

Will get to work.

Good luck in Montreal this weekend. Really wish I could be there.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:31 AM

Hello Gavin,

I just wanted to say I think you're an amazing drummer and you've had a huge impact on my playing! I love your style and your kit sounds incredible. Love the videos you have on this site as well. Also, I'd like to ask what sort of bands do you enjoy listening to? Thanks.

Nick
Old 11-04-2006, 11:34 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi MovingPictures2112,
thanks for the kind words.

Lately I've been listening to Lewis Taylor, Nine Inch Nails, Art Farmer, Tool, Yellowjackets, Warren Cuccurullo, Raul Midon.

Cheers
Gavin

P.S I'm guessing your a Rush fan right?
Old 11-04-2006, 11:51 PM

Hey Gavin
I was wondering what your approach to the cymbal song was. Did you record the video and audio simultaniously? With each cymbal did you make a seperate track? Did you lay out each event (cymbal hit) before recording? Cuz i'm watching it and it seems like an involved process to get to the final product. Take care.

MM
Old 11-05-2006, 01:41 AM

Hello Gavin

yes i guess its quite obvious lol. i'm very inspired by Neil Peart.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:02 AM
michael drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingPictures2112
Hello Gavin

yes i guess its quite obvious lol. i'm very inspired by Neil Peart.
That's ok. Love the name! Hee...hee...Cool! Play On!
Old 11-06-2006, 01:18 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Mike,
I spent a long time working on that piece. First I worked out the musical part and recorded a demo to hear if it was all going to work. Then I sat and filmed it video and audio together.
The Drum Song was harder because I tried to make the same idea but at exactly 2/3 the tempo of the Cymbal Song so that they could play together in a kind of Rhythmic Illusion way.
And then there's the Kitchen Sink film - have you seen that?

Cheers
Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Mike
Hey Gavin
I was wondering what your approach to the cymbal song was. Did you record the video and audio simultaniously? With each cymbal did you make a seperate track? Did you lay out each event (cymbal hit) before recording? Cuz i'm watching it and it seems like an involved process to get to the final product. Take care.

MM
Old 11-06-2006, 05:34 PM

The Kitchen Sink Film? No i dont believe i've seen that one, are you joking? Is it on one of your other DVD's?
Oh by the way, i really like the pictures that you have had taken of yourself with your drumkit. Specifically the "Horn" and the "Car." Very humorous, i dont think i've seen anyone do that before. Good times.

MM
Old 11-06-2006, 06:16 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Mike,
no I'm joking - I play my kitchen sink, toaster, kettle and orange juicer as the film behind the credits on my newest DVD Rhythmic Horizons. The same DVD with the Cymbal Song, Drum Song and the two combined in a rhythmically illusionary way.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 11-06-2006, 06:51 PM

The Kitchen Sink Film...I'd say "The Crazy Kitchen Sink Film".
The first time i watched it , i thought " This guy come from another world !!!"
By the way, i've never heard a better Kitchen sound .
You're amazing Gavin.

See you in Paris for the next tour,

Alex

PS: Could you make french subtitles on the next DVD, because french drummers are so bad in english :-)
Old 11-06-2006, 07:35 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Alex,
I'm glad you like the sound of my kitchen.

It can depend on the style of music but here's the set up I used on that track:

Dualit Toaster
Dualit Kettle
Leisure Sink
unknown juicer

I'd really like to get a Dualit endorsement - they have easily the best sound.

The funny thing is that my studio and kitchen are on opposite sides of the house - so I would go to the studio - put the computer in record (8 bars before I needed to play) and then run to the kitchen, put on the headphones and start to play various parts of the kitchen. Many times I would make a mistake in the first bar - and then I would have to run back to the studio (quite often forgetting to take the headphones off - so they would strangle me half way down the hallway) and go and press stop/delete on the computer. And then start over again. I must have run backwards and forwards 50 times during that recording. I don't know why I didn't take my powerbook down to the kitchen and just record it there!!!

Cheers
Gavin
Old 11-06-2006, 08:07 PM

Now, i'm sure...You come from another world !

So, i would pay a million to watch "The making of Rhythmic Horizons". I can even imagine the replay of your face with the headphones around your neck.

Alex

Fortunately, I don't have million dollars !!!
Old 11-06-2006, 10:10 PM

Hi Gavin,

well I've purchased my tickets for this weekend and I'm really looking forward to the show. I've never been to one of these; will it it be a series of clinics or is it more just each person(s) playing for an hour or so? Will you be bringing the toaster?

Also, will you have your two books and DVDs on hand for us to purchase? Seeing as I have other drum accesories to pay off first, its the perfect excuse to pass on to the better half to get your material sooner: "Sweetie, come on! Gavin himself was selling them! I had to do it!"

Thanks.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:41 PM

Hi Gavin, I have just received Jakko Jakszyk new double-album "The Bruised Romantic Gee Club" and your contribution to it is superb, stunning. I tihnk it will stay in my player for some months (till the next PT album...)
I believe this is probably the best album, so far, where to enjoy your entire "craft". Just listening to "Nirvana for mice" and it's nirvana for me. What do you think ?

Ciao
Andrea
P.S. of course, I agree with Jakko's liner notes about yourself....:-)