Lightweight bass drum pedal

Lola Black

I'm putting together a lightweight, more portable kit, for quieter and "smaller" gigs. All has gone well so far until I now realise my Pearl bass drum pedal is probably as heavy as my bass drum!
I've been thinking of a Yamaha FP7210A, but before splashing out - have any of you got suggestions as to a reputable alternative (or even less reputable if it's REALLY light but solid)
I prefer chain drive (but may reconsider).
Thanks in advance.

I'm putting together a lightweight, more portable kit, for quieter and "smaller" gigs. All has gone well so far until I now realise my Pearl bass drum pedal is probably as heavy as my bass drum!
I've been thinking of a Yamaha FP7210A, but before splashing out - have any of you got suggestions as to a reputable alternative (or even less reputable if it's REALLY light but solid)
Thanks in advance.

The Yamaha is a solid choice, but here a a few other (pricier) options:

DW6000 - solid build, pretty lightweight
https://www.drumcenternh.com/dw-pedals-single-pedal-accellerator.html

JoJo Mayer Sonor Pedal - different action than your typical pedal, but very high quality.
https://www.drumcenternh.com/sonor-perfect-balance-bass-drum-pedal-by-jojo-mayer.html

Rogers Dyno-Matic
https://www.drumcenternh.com/rogers-dyno-matic-bass-drum-pedal-w-bag.html

Hope this helps!

Adam

I just bought a vintage Tama in better condition than this one for $29...

Tama-Iron-Cobra-Rolling-Glide-vintage-90s-_1.jpg

Based on the old Camco design, about as light as they come, plenty of adjustment and folds flat. I have several of these for just what you are describing-quick in\out lightweight setups. Easy to find too.

If you don't mind used pretty hard to beat.

This is the Camco referenced above:

History-Of-The-Camco-Chain-Drive-Drum-Pedal.jpg

You can still find these out there too. Rock solid, light, easy setup and breakdown. GREAT feel.

Not as cheap or as available as the Tama, but a great pedal for your needs.

Throwing one in there for the new Tama Classic pedal as well. It's very lightweight and also has fantastic feel.

Gibraltar's 4711SC is very light and quick, and folds up nearly flat. Totally basic, which means less to go wrong.

Thanks in advance.

The heaviest thing part of the kit is the throne. I got one of those PDP light thrones with through-bolt height adjustment and that eliminated about 30 pounds of excess weight. So I keep using my heavy DW5000 and DW3000 pedals with the plates.

I really like the DW 6000 series for lightweight hardware.

I still use my DW5000 but switched to nylon straps. I was amazed at how heavy those double chains are when they came off.

I’ve got a Pearl Demonator pedal. It’s chain driven, comes with an offset cam if you want it and only because I’ve read this thread I’ve thought to myself that it’s not particularly heavy.
It has a baseplate and doesn’t fold flat mind.

Another recommendation for the Camco pedal shown above. I've owned a half dozen of them over the years with zero failures. In all honesty, probably one of the best drum pedals ever made.

GeeDeeEmm

Another recommendation for the Camco pedal shown above. I've owned a half dozen of them over the years with zero failures. In all honesty, probably one of the best drum pedals ever made.

GeeDeeEmm

Six?! I'm on my second.
Ever wonder why they have TWO screws to hold the beater stick of the Camco pedal?

I just use the cheapest Yamaha pedal, and it's plenty light. An old Camco or early DW 5000 or Gretsch Floating Action all have the same mechanism, and will certainly be lighter than that. The old Speed Master pedal is super light, and super responsive-- but not great for a lot of power, if that's what you need.

Six?! I'm on my second.
Ever wonder why they have TWO screws to hold the beater stick of the Camco pedal?

Ha! Yep, at least six. I worked in a music store for many years. I'd buy a Camco and use it for a while then trade to something else. Always came back to the Camco, though. When drum pedals started showing up with base plates, I built a couple for the Camco - one made from steel, the other from aluminum. They worked great and made for very solid pedals.

GeeDeeEmm

Back