IBC?

MrTheOne

Just wondering, anybody going to be in Memphis this week for the International Blues Challenge?

I went in 2015. It was a great experience, but I haven't been involved with the competition since.

What a story that was. It was an 18 hour drive to Memphis from Philadelphia, the first 9 hours were in a blinding snowstorm. That's 9 whole hours. I drove the whole way, my passenger lost his license for DWI. We were stuck behind really slow snowplows for the first 3 hours. They wouldn't allow me to pass. We barely made it on time. It was freakishly cold, like 9 degrees, the whole weekend.

GREAT food in Memphis. Nicest State troopers I ever got pulled over by (He couldn't read my license plate, it was covered in snow. He cleaned off my license plate. I nearly fell over in the snow, that would NEVER happen in Philadelphia)

Beale Street was dead by usual standards. We brought a knife to a gun fight that year. We were the only band in our venue that didn't have a horn section. I hit Graceland while I was there (more emotional and much smaller than I expected) and also Memphis Drum Shop (holy crap the cymbal room!) I drove by Sun and Stax Studios too. I'm pretty sure I saw Elvis too :)

I went in 2015. It was a great experience, but I haven't been involved with the competition since.

What a story that was. It was an 18 hour drive to Memphis from Philadelphia, the first 9 hours were in a blinding snowstorm. That's 9 whole hours. I drove the whole way, my passenger lost his license for DWI. We were stuck behind really slow snowplows for the first 3 hours. They wouldn't allow me to pass. We barely made it on time. It was freakishly cold, like 9 degrees, the whole weekend.

GREAT food in Memphis. Nicest State troopers I ever got pulled over by (He couldn't read my license plate, it was covered in snow. He cleaned off my license plate. I nearly fell over in the snow, that would NEVER happen in Philadelphia)

Beale Street was dead by usual standards. We brought a knife to a gun fight that year. We were the only band in our venue that didn't have a horn section. I hit Graceland while I was there (more emotional and much smaller than I expected) and also Memphis Drum Shop (holy crap the cymbal room!) I drove by Sun and Stax Studios too. I'm pretty sure I saw Elvis too :)

Cool man. Yeah this my first time. My employer/fiancé competed in ‘17, made it to semis. She comes down every year to network and play showcases for her label and booking agency. Played last night and killed it!
I’m overwhelmed! So much to do and see. Lots of great music. Industry panels and workshops. Plus the competition. From what I’ve seen it’s more like and industry convention week.

Haven’t had any run-ins w Troopers, but if I do I hope they’re still nice.

Love to go see Graceland, Sun, and Stax if time permits. The Peabody Hotel is something else though! Lanskys. Hahaha!

And if course, Memphis Drum Shop is a high priority.

Sweet! So which venue were you in? Did your band have horns?

Back