Transcribing help needed

The Bassist

Hey, I don't post much around here anymore (which I should), but if anyone can help me transcribe this song it would be greatly appreciated. I started trying to map it out in a sequencer to help me, but I quickly realized it wasn't in 6/8 like I thought, but 11 something and I can't quite figure it out. I don't need the whole song, just maybe the first beat used.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like 5/8, w/the SD outlining the meter and lots going on on the e's and a's with the cymbal and BD. Starting at the beginning and working it out one note at a time should give you a toe hold for getting the rest of it. Nice piece until the vocals come in- kind of My Bloody Valentine in an odd meter.

Well, I think you should listen to something else by them (perhaps Trail of Fire, It's My Tail isn't a real good representation of their sound) before judging their sound, but that's besides the point hehe.
Thanks for the advice, I think I will try to go step by step to try and figure it out. I was trying to line up the audio from the song to a grid in my DAW, but couldn't get it, so step by step definately sound like a better idea. But knowing how FL divides notes, it can't do exact note values that aren't divisible by 2 or 3, so it may be hard.

Something like this?
I wrote until he switches to a quieter sound. I think it's an open hi hat most of the time, and not as many cymbal accents. It's very difficult to really hear much amidst that chaos, but I don't see a problem with what I transcribed being played there; you'll need a big hi hat sound, though.

Fox.

Attachments

• Oceansize - It's My Tail And I'll Chase itIf I Want To.jpg
    Oceansize - It's My Tail And I'll Chase itIf I Want To.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 229
Thanks, but I think I actually have it now! I started going note by note, as todd suggested, and what I came up with did turn out to be in 11. After I figured out the bass drum and snare patten (the only part of the drum beat that remains constant the entire song), it came out to be 5 and a half beats (starts over on the bass drum hit right after every second snare). To test it, I cut a measure out of the song, set FL's time to 11 beats per measure, 8th note gets the beat, and fit that clip over the drum beat I created. So now to figure out all the surrounding stuff and attempt to cover this song. Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. That beat was really starting to confuse me.

Fox, what program did you use to tab that out? I think it's about time I should get a program that can do drum notation.

After I figured out the bass drum and snare patten (the only part of the drum beat that remains constant the entire song), it came out to be 5 and a half beats (starts over on the bass drum hit right after every second snare). To test it, I cut a measure out of the song, set FL's time to 11 beats per measure, 8th note gets the beat, and fit that clip over the drum beat I created. So now to figure out all the surrounding stuff and attempt to cover this song. Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. That beat was really starting to confuse me.

Fox, what program did you use to tab that out? I think it's about time I should get a program that can do drum notation.

Yeah man, you're absolutely right, in my transcription it doesn't "start over every second snare".
It's a pattern of 5. Can you not hear it repeating exactly every 5?
I use Guitar Pro 5, since we use it to tab most of the material for projects.

Fox.

Well, I guess I finally have incentive to get Guitar Pro then. I never knew it could do drum stuff, and I always ignored Guitar Pro guitar tabs because I didn't have it :p
As for the timing, your beat works out until the end. After tinkering for a long time, I finally did come up with the 5 and a half based around your transcription, and then going note by note to fix what didn't seem right to me. Here's a clip of what I got from it. It's just a bass drum and snare in my DAW lined up to a snippet of the song.
Thanks again for helping me, both of you. On my own I kept trying to fit the beat into a measure that it didn't fit in, so the drum notation you gave me helped me start, and I used todd's advice to fine tune it note by note.
But now that I have the base beat, I can start to figure out all the other stuff around it throughout the song and attempt to cover it.

Attachments

• it's my tail.mp3
    846.6 KB · Views: 93
The meter is 11/16 (or in other denominator you prefere to express it, ex: 11/8, etc).

The transcription of the Bass Drum and Snare is as follows.

TranscriptionOcean.jpg

There are many more in my site!

http://www.myspace.com/clasesdebateriaenvalencia

Best regards!

Back