Picked up the DrumCrafts today!

Hey! Beautiful drums there. I actually have a drumcraft 6.5 x14 series 8 snare from sam ash for just $130.Thanks to your tip, i found out sam ash is trying to get rid of their drumcraft inventory. I had trouble trying to tune and get the right sound out of the snare, can you tell me what settings you have on your snare if you do end up playing it?

Hey! Beautiful drums there. I actually have a drumcraft 6.5 x14 series 8 snare from sam ash for just $130.Thanks to your tip, i found out sam ash is trying to get rid of their drumcraft inventory. I had trouble trying to tune and get the right sound out of the snare, can you tell me what settings you have on your snare if you do end up playing it?

Well, I do this with every new drum, but I just loosen up both heads and the. Proceed to get them evenly tuned. On the snare my bottom head ends up a bit tighter than the batter head but that's about it. This snare is really nice and the strainer is pretty robust. I did put a regular ambassador on top and got rid of the dot head. But I didn't do anything special to it. It's a nice solid snare.

It's dangerous when you're at work cruising around eBay. I've begun the process and bought a Yamaha bass drum tom mount and a the Yamaha double tom mount without the arms. I'm even going to install it myself. Wish me luck in about a week!

Great score Bo. I'm going to pick up a Drumcraft aluminum snare on Friday. I tried it out for a bit and just couldn't resist. Nice snap but still enough ring for my liking. Can't wait!

Great score Bo. I'm going to pick up a Drumcraft aluminum snare on Friday. I tried it out for a bit and just couldn't resist. Nice snap but still enough ring for my liking. Can't wait!

Yeah, the snare I got is surprisingly good. It seems to hold its own when A/B tested with my Supraphonic and my Slingerland COB, and sounds different enough that you know I'm playing it (I can get the Supra and the Slingy to sound really close to one another, and that's good 'cause I love that sound too). I'd love to hear a metal DrumCraft snare, I'm sure yours will sound awesome. I recommend losing that head with the dot underneath though. When I put a regular coated ambassador on my snare the drum just opened up. Congrats on your score!

Hey Bo,

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Could you please clarify?

Congratulations on picking up your new kit.

Barry

Well, online price of this specific kit on their Australian webpage (www.drumcraft.au) has it priced at $2100, or 2199, something like that. But I think in reality, it competes with kits like Tama's Starclassic B/B kits, which round out at about $1400-1500 for a 4-piece (no snare), and DrumCraft includes a matching snare. They're nicely built, and maybe they need to age a bit, but they don't feel incredibly rugged yet like my Ludwigs or Slingerlands - there's a bit more heft to the vintage drums whereas the DrumCrafts feel a bit lightweight. Like a fine acoustic guitar, I don't want to just pick them up and throw them around. But I could easily do that to my zep kit and not worry about it. I think once the DrumCraft shells age a bit (maybe in a few years?) they'll brittle up some and feel like they could take some bumping into. Because of that reasoning, I feel they're worth less than what they ask for them, putting them under 2K in price.

I recommend losing that head with the dot underneath though. When I put a regular coated ambassador on my snare the drum just opened up. Congrats on your score!

Thanks Bo, I'll definitely try that. I tried a Remo CS on a few of my snares before and I didn't care for how it changed the tone of the snare. First thing I want to do is replace the batter with a coated single ply and then eventually replace the cheap plastic throw with a Trick.

Thanks Bo, I'll definitely try that. I tried a Remo CS on a few of my snares before and I didn't care for how it changed the tone of the snare. First thing I want to do is replace the batter with a coated single ply and then eventually replace the cheap plastic throw with a Trick.

I think you oughta' give the plastic strainer a try first. I had considered that at first, and then when I got the drum home, in practice it works out ok. At least there's metal where you need it. The part that's plastic is really just the handle part. If you left your snare drum out in the elements for a couple of years I can see the plastic getting brittle and breaking, but who does that?

You might find you don't have to invest in that Trick just yet. The one I have works great. The adjust knob is super smooth. But I thought I saw that strainer made by somebody else, and all the parts were metal. Maybe you can find the exact same one with the metal parts.

Well, I do this with every new drum, but I just loosen up both heads and the. Proceed to get them evenly tuned. On the snare my bottom head ends up a bit tighter than the batter head but that's about it. This snare is really nice and the strainer is pretty robust. I did put a regular ambassador on top and got rid of the dot head. But I didn't do anything special to it. It's a nice solid snare.

Thanks! I put a remo powerstroke, and 30 strand Puresound snares. With my snare I was getting an ugly ring. It was really abnormal but now it sounds fantastic.

Thanks! I put a remo powerstroke, and 30 strand Puresound snares. With my snare I was getting an ugly ring. It was really abnormal but now it sounds fantastic.

I'll bet with that ps3 head you can get a nice Al Jackson Jr. phat sound, eh?
What I thought was a nice touch is that DrumCraft makes their snare wires look like Purecussions ;)

.... I've begun the process and bought a Yamaha bass drum tom mount and a the Yamaha double tom mount without the arms. I'm even going to install it myself. Wish me luck in about a week!

I'm looking forward to seeing pics of this when you're done. Sounds like a nice project.

Back