Remo Clear Pinstripes

A-customs

Silver Member
Just ordered them.Had powerstroke 3s on my kit.A older Stage Custom kit,and while i loved the sound,getting them was kind of a hassle with places having them in stock.So im biting the bullet,and Talked to a few drum guys at a few stores and, ordered the clear Pinstripes.Anyone think i made a boo-boo?????

Not sure what other people's experiences with them are like on here but i've played several kits with different tunings of them on toms and they sounded shocking in every way.

They were too wobbly no matter how they were tuned, there was no volume, no depth, no tone, no sustain and the only way to get a semi-decent sound out of them was to smother them in moongels, which then decreased the resonance and volume. Exactly what I DON'T want. I'm bad at tuning so i left that part to other people who still couldn't get a good sound from them, and trust me these guys are properly good.

If other people have good experiences then i simply don't see how. The only pinstripes i like are the coated snare heads, and even then they are somewhat lively and uncontrollable for the first month or few weeks, even more so than 'other' new, out-of-the-box heads. After a while though my snare sounded great and would love to buy another coated for the snare but i'd only take it out to gigs after that month to let it settle in.

xoxo

Not sure what other people's experiences with them are like on here but i've played several kits with different tunings of them on toms and they sounded shocking in every way.

They were too wobbly no matter how they were tuned, there was no volume, no depth, no tone, no sustain and the only way to get a semi-decent sound out of them was to smother them in moongels, which then decreased the resonance and volume. Exactly what I DON'T want. I'm bad at tuning so i left that part to other people who still couldn't get a good sound from them, and trust me these guys are properly good.

If other people have good experiences then i simply don't see how. The only pinstripes i like are the coated snare heads, and even then they are somewhat lively and uncontrollable for the first month or few weeks, even more so than 'other' new, out-of-the-box heads. After a while though my snare sounded great and would love to buy another coated for the snare but i'd only take it out to gigs after that month to let it settle in.

xoxo

LOL no offense, but you don't know how to tune them but it's the heads' fault they don't sound good? They sound fine.

Why do feel you made a boo boo?

If you like the sound the Pinstripe offers than that's cool.

I ran Pinstripes for years untill I heard clear Emporors. I thought "WOW" I never thought my drums could sound like that! Ran those for years until one day my shop was out of stock and said "try these Evans G2 Clears". The G2s were incredible and gave me longer life between head changes. I only switched to EC2 clears a little over a year ago now.

Pinstripes are great heads, especially recorded. Not too much volume for live play without good micing. Nice deep fat tone.

Why do feel you made a boo boo?

If you like the sound the Pinstripe offers than that's cool.

I ran Pinstripes for years untill I heard clear Emporors. I thought "WOW" I never thought my drums could sound like that! Ran those for years until one day my shop was out of stock and said "try these Evans G2 Clears". The G2s were incredible and gave me longer life between head changes. I only switched to EC2 clears a little over a year ago now.

Pinstripes are great heads, especially recorded. Not too much volume for live play without good micing. Nice deep fat tone.

I dont know if i did or not,thats why im asking fellow drummers who have had exp with them.Just trying to get throughts on them,as ive never had them on my kit...

Not a boo-boo with Pinstripes.

They have a nice tone, and a good balance of attack and resonance.
I've always found them easy to tune--or re-tune and make a bad back line kit sound pretty decent.

Pins are kind of a forgotten head these days. They don't sound "papery" on mid level kits like the Evans EC heads can either (JMO).

LOL no offense, but you don't know how to tune them but it's the heads' fault they don't sound good? They sound fine.

If you read what i said you would have noticed i said that i've never tuned any. I've left that to other people, two of which have been my previous and current drum teachers who barely got a good sound out of them. Keep in mind that most of the time a 'good sound' is what i refer to something I myself like the sound of, not necessarily yours.
xoxo

I love pins on my DW.......... right now I have clear emps. and they sound good but the pins. are a little deeper and have a little softer feel.

I tend to agree that Pins are a very forgiving head and a great way to tame a normally unruly tom. If I have a choice I'm going for a G2 or Emperor, but the set I'm playing at church now is all Pins on the toms, sounds great, tunes easily, and is a joy to play.

I'm using Remo Pinstripes on my toms, I enjoy how they sound. Indeed a good balance, still single ply to maintain some rebound on the sticks but thick and durable.

I'm using Remo Pinstripes on my toms, I enjoy how they sound. Indeed a good balance, still single ply to maintain some rebound on the sticks but thick and durable.
Pinstripes single ply? I don't think so. They are definitely two-ply. I haven't used them since the early '90s. I peeled away the top ply when they reached the end of their time on my kit and played them as single-ply just for kicks. Then I switched to Emperors.

I like that you can crank them up a little higher tension-wise and get a nice throaty sound without getting too resonant and open. But ultimately, I like being the one to control how much deadening (if any) happens on my drums, as opposed to the head.

Thanks to all..I just tracked them on Fed eX Site im a little bummed out they where not hear when i got home from work.Should be here tomorrow.I have a gig tomorrow night..............im hoping to have them on.Sounds like most like the cat at the store like them....Like i said i LOVE the powerstroke 3s that are on them now,but it is time for new batters Big time...

bad back line kit sound pretty decent..

This exactly. When I got my first starter kit (yes, I had to have one of 'those' kits) I had a more experienced drummer friend of mine take me to pick out heads. He led me to the pinstripes and honestly they made them sound at least tolerable. I mean, no Stage Customs, but it sounded like I paid more than (ahem) $100 for the kit...

I think they're great, depending on the application, of course.

The Remo pinstripe head has been around since about 1973. Would not have survived 37 years of production, if it were a bad head. Where the Powerstroke 3 you were using is a single ply Ambassador head with a built on "richie ring" for muffling, the Pinstripe is a two ply Emperor head with built in muffling. Both are excellent choices, Stage Customs are excellent drums.

The Remo pinstripe head has been around since about 1973. Would not have survived 37 years of production, if it were a bad head. Where the Powerstroke 3 you were using is a single ply Ambassador head with a built on "richie ring" for muffling, the Pinstripe is a two ply Emperor head with built in muffling. Both are excellent choices, Stage Customs are excellent drums.

Does the ring actually muffle? I've heard pinstripes aren't glued together anymore, so it's not different from an emperor.

Check out EC1 and EC2, those are the new pinstripes.

Pinn'ies give a conrtolled sound, and are well behaved for recording. They were my regular head on my lower - end kits for years. Good decision.

Does the ring actually muffle? I've heard pinstripes aren't glued together anymore, so it's not different from an emperor.

Check out EC1 and EC2, those are the new pinstripes.

Pinstripes are glued together at the edges - always have been and still are. The glued together area is from the collar to the stripe.... basically the hazy ring. If they were the same as an emperor - why would Remo continue to produce both? Please don't spread mis-information.

The Evans EC series are a different animal from a construction standpoint - they either have a metal / foil ring glued to the bottom of the head - or a printed "ink" ring embossed onto the head for the purposes of controlling the tone.

I like Pinstripes for the right application... they are not my "go-to" head by any means - but work for me in some situations.

Back