Bearing Lube

Dignan

Silver Member
I recently purchased a used Eliminator pedal. After disassembling, cleaning and putting back together I wanted to lube up the bearings. I have some Black Hole Racing lube for skate bearings (leftover from my roller hockey days) that I put on the bearings.

Will this probably be just as good as any other industrial bearing lube? I used it on my hockey blades back in "the day" with a lot of success so I figured the bearings in my pedal can't be much different.

There are two basic grease "bases" Urea and Lithium. They don't mix well when used together (turns to liquid and runs out). Of course pedal bearing speeds are not continuous high speed applications and won't destroy themselves from overheating. But, if you are NOT sure which grease is in the bearing to begin with you would need to remove the bearing, clean it out with mild solvent then re-pack with whatever bearing grease works for the application. I don't suspect you will encounter any problems with pedal bearings but if you see that it begins to leak out like an oil drip then you know what happen. I'm not sure pedal bearing are packed with anything at all except a light oil anyway so you should be good.

There are two basic grease "bases" Urea and Lithium. They don't mix well when used together (turns to liquid and runs out). Of course pedal bearing speeds are not continuous high speed applications and won't destroy themselves from overheating. But, if you are NOT sure which grease is in the bearing to begin with you would need to remove the bearing, clean it out with mild solvent then re-pack with whatever bearing grease works for the application. I don't suspect you will encounter any problems with pedal bearings but if you see that it begins to leak out like an oil drip then you know what happen. I'm not sure pedal bearing are packed with anything at all except a light oil anyway so you should be good.

Man, what else don't I know about the world? Never knew there was so much involved with grease/lube. The bearing oil I'm using is not super viscous like motor oil. It's a little lighter and runnier but it seems to be working well. Thanks for the explanation.

You might consider checking the size of the skate bearings and see if they are compatible with the pedal bearings. I once, a long time ago, replaced my pedal bearings with skate board bearings. They both fit and worked great. Just an idea.

You might consider checking the size of the skate bearings and see if they are compatible with the pedal bearings. I once, a long time ago, replaced my pedal bearings with skate board bearings. They both fit and worked great. Just an idea.

Never thought of that. I'll check. Thanks. The Eliminator bearings seem to still be in good condition but if they start seizing up, I know where to look for replacements

Back