The best kits we've ever made - Honest Capture videos!

Andy

Honorary Member
Of course, I'm biased, & it's also subjective, but I'm so happy with the kit range, & I hope you agree they all sound distinctive.

2014 Origin series beech & ovangkol: Here, presented with different hoops, heads, & tuning. it was delightful to hear how this unique kit handled both bop & rock/pop tunings with ease. We could have gone much higher & lower, but there was no need. I hope you can really hear the purity of fundamental + extreme overtone control that defines the Origin design. Opens up to full tone at very low dynamic, plus it doesn't choke when you really lay into it. It has so much headroom!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XojpGAmH4NI

In-Tense series walnut stave: 6mm shells with the ultra low mass In-Tense shell hardware really let this beast of a drum load a room in a way you've never experienced. It's almost too much, but that leaves the decision with the player. Unvented too, yet no choking at very high dynamic. Featured here in very low tuning, but fit G1 coated batter heads, crank it up, & you have a wonderful big band kit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQQwo_bv_N4

In-Tense series English ash segmented: This is our latest generation segmented construction. Gives all the openness of steam bent but with added punch & weight. Featured here in deep dimensions, but augmented specifically to deliver at these depths.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxEHnOFecwk

Anyhow, please listen through good gear, crank up the volume a bit, & relish in the real sound of these drums. All comments especially sought & welcome.

Enjoy,

Andy.

The session team - left to right: Matt Cambridge (engineer), Mad about drums Henri (assisting & generally having a good time), me (drum preparation & session producer), Aaron Graham (guest artist), Yolanda Charles (bass), & Guru artists David Floegel, Dave McKeague, George Cook. Missing from shot - Daniel Broadley (video)

Attachments

• Session group shot.jpg
    Session group shot.jpg
    933.4 KB · Views: 934
Last edited by a moderator:
Both those kits sound so phenomenal in these videos. I loved the overall sound of the walnut; the kick on the segmented ash totally punched me in the chest. I have already informed my wife that when it comes time to buy the next set, I'm going top shelf with Guru. I will show her this video and she will agree!

Both those kits sound so phenomenal in these videos. I loved the overall sound of the walnut; the kick on the segmented ash totally punched me in the chest. I have already informed my wife that when it comes time to buy the next set, I'm going top shelf with Guru. I will show her this video and she will agree!
Thanks Al :)
"& she will agree" (or else) vibe there, lol!

Did you catch the Origin video? (3 kits featured in all)

Lovely showing! That Origin is murderously good in both tunings. The walnut sounds exactly like I expected from the other video, super full. The segmented kit sounds close to mine! (though the kick is less "metal" than I have mine right now ;) )

Also, any video where I get to hear some Byzance Pure rides is a winner.

Thanks Al :)
"& she will agree" (or else) vibe there, lol!

Did you catch the Origin video? (3 kits featured in all)

You hadn't posted that link when I came upon the thread. I'm not always a fan of high bop tunings, as sometimes that can really shine a light on imperfections in the drums (and it seems most manufacturers try to build for lower tunings exclusively, at the expense of bop drummers everywhere). The Origins tuned high sounded very musical -- almost with the timbre of a stringed instrument rather than a membranophone. And of course they sounded great tuned "normally". I have to say, you're not making my eventual decision any easier, Andy! I think when it comes time we'll have to take a vacation and visit to pick the chicken dinner winner...

As for the "she will agree" vibe... she's not a musician but she knows good drums when she hears them (ergo why she helped me restore the Ludwigs)!

Same for me, I'm torned between the origin and the in-tense ash, they both sound so nice. I agree the origin sounds very musical, but seems to me the in-tense ash is more versatile.

To be honest the walnut was the one I liked less since that 14" has a odd sound, I might there say out of tune, but maybe it's just my hears that are uncapable of appreciate such low end.

Does the in-tense ash come in other sizes for the toms?

Love the ash.

What cymbals were used to demo the origin? Looks like vintage pure rides, jazz hats, and vintage crash in the first tuning? And sand ride with 16" extra dry hats in the second? And maybe a traditional crash?

Lovely showing! That Origin is murderously good in both tunings. The walnut sounds exactly like I expected from the other video, super full. The segmented kit sounds close to mine! (though the kick is less "metal" than I have mine right now ;) )

Also, any video where I get to hear some Byzance Pure rides is a winner.
Thank you :) Do you have a ported head on your kit? That's a big difference right there.

I'm not always a fan of high bop tunings, as sometimes that can really shine a light on imperfections in the drums (and it seems most manufacturers try to build for lower tunings exclusively, at the expense of bop drummers everywhere). The Origins tuned high sounded very musical -- almost with the timbre of a stringed instrument rather than a membranophone.
You're right. Many manufacturer's are most hesitant, because it exposes errant high overtone issues. Either that, or they choke out on tuning, or don't deliver at low dynamic. Getting a drum to open up to full tone at high tunings isn't easy. It becomes more difficult when that same drum is required to deliver even when you really dig into it. Tough act! For the record, you can take the Origin at least 1/2 an octave higher than this before it starts to lose that rich musical tone, & an octave higher before it starts to choke out in terms of useable pitch. That's crazy high.

Same for me, I'm torned between the origin and the in-tense ash, they both sound so nice. I agree the origin sounds very musical, but seems to me the in-tense ash is more versatile.

To be honest the walnut was the one I liked less since that 14" has a odd sound, I might there say out of tune, but maybe it's just my hears that are uncapable of appreciate such low end.

Does the in-tense ash come in other sizes for the toms?
In-Tense comes in a huge range of sizes. 8" - 20" in a variety of depths, although we do offer "standards" in a more defined range. There is no premium charged for outsize toms, only the requirement that we think it will sound good.

14" walnut tom was tuned with a fairly short note & a slightly "sour" juxtaposition to the floor tom. It may also have slipped a touch as the studio was warming up rapidly. Believe it or not, the walnut session was set up in 15 minutes from cold, & tracked in 5 minutes. I'm afraid our budget sometimes has a negative impact, but it still sounds pretty damn fine to me. It's worth remembering that these are completely unprocessed recordings apart from levels. The fact that they stand up so well to the usual video productions is a minor miracle. Add + 2db at 50Hz & the whole game changes, but we don't do that, even if it is more representative of the real sound in the room.

Love the ash.

What cymbals were used to demo the origin? Looks like vintage pure rides, jazz hats, and vintage crash in the first tuning? And sand ride with 16" extra dry hats in the second? And maybe a traditional crash?
Not sure TBH, but I'll find out & report back. Dave has an association with Meinl.

Yup, a 2" ported Smooth White ambassador. I've found that I much prefer using an unmuffled batter head too, tried an Emad but it didn't match up to my coated Ambassador/G1 with an EQ pad. Going to try a clear G1 too.

I loved the 14" rack as well, BTW ;)

The 3 clips genuinely sound like the real thing... absolutely no tricks here, I felt like I was back at the studio watching the performances, only the body feel of the walnut kit is lacking, in the room you felt it through your bones, but the sound is 100% accurate.

I was very, very impressed last year with the Origin line up... but this new In-Tense and Origin designs from Andy/Dean took it to another level.

I have to say, you're not making my eventual decision any easier, Andy!

This is exactly how I felt when I tried the kits myself, they all deliver something special and unique and somehow you would like to have them all...

However, the walnut kit in smaller sizes (22x14 BD, 16x14 FT & 12x10 RT) should provide more flexibility/versatility, yet still manage the thunder shaking ground type of sound/tuning if you want to... I'm in love with the walnut kit, perhaps even more in love than I was with the "Cappucino" :)

Yes Andy, the best kits you've ever made... no doubts about it :)

Of course, I'm biased, & it's also subjective, but I'm so happy with the kit range, & I hope you agree they all sound distinctive.

2014 Origin series beech & ovangkol: Here, presented with different hoops, heads, & tuning. it was delightful to hear how this unique kit handled both bop & rock/pop tunings with ease. We could have gone much higher & lower, but there was no need. I hope you can really hear the purity of fundamental + extreme overtone control that defines the Origin design. Opens up to full tone at very low dynamic, plus it doesn't choke when you really lay into it. It has so much headroom!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XojpGAmH4NI

In-Tense series walnut stave: 6mm shells with the ultra low mass In-Tense shell hardware really let this beast of a drum load a room in a way you've never experienced. It's almost too much, but that leaves the decision with the player. Unvented too, yet no choking at very high dynamic. Featured here in very low tuning, but fit G1 coated batter heads, crank it up, & you have a wonderful big band kit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQQwo_bv_N4

In-Tense series English ash segmented: This is our latest generation segmented construction. Gives all the openness of steam bent but with added punch & weight. Featured here in deep dimensions, but augmented specifically to deliver at these depths.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxEHnOFecwk

Anyhow, please listen through good gear, crank up the volume a bit, & relish in the real sound of these drums. All comments especially sought & welcome.

Enjoy,

Andy.

The session team - left to right: Matt Cambridge (engineer), Mad about drums Henri (assisting & generally having a good time), me (drum preparation & session producer), Aaron Graham (guest artist), Yolanda Charles (bass), & Guru artists David Floegel, Dave McKeague, George Cook. Missing from shot - Daniel Broadley (video)

I like Yolanda Charles better than the drums.

The 3 clips genuinely sound like the real thing... absolutely no tricks here, I felt like I was back at the studio watching the performances, only the body feel of the walnut kit is lacking, in the room you felt it through your bones, but the sound is 100% accurate.

I was very, very impressed last year with the Origin line up... but this new In-Tense and Origin designs from Andy/Dean took it to another level.

This is exactly how I felt when I tried the kits myself, they all deliver something special and unique and somehow you would like to have them all...

However, the walnut kit in smaller sizes (22x14 BD, 16x14 FT & 12x10 RT) should provide more flexibility/versatility, yet still manage the thunder shaking ground type of sound/tuning if you want to... I'm in love with the walnut kit, perhaps even more in love than I was with the "Cappucino" :)

Yes Andy, the best kits you've ever made... no doubts about it :)

It's a shame we cannot witness the walnut in more "regular" sizes. Would be great for comparison

I have never heard drums that sounded so pure and musical. they sing like timpani! There are a lot of good sounding single ply makers out there, but I have never heard the like of these. . .

Really nice recordings. Thanks for doing that. The drumming is great. Your drums are beautiful and sound like sex. And I am grateful that someone else is putting up "honest" recordings of their gear.

Very nice work, Andy. The Origin kits sound fantastic. The In-tense walnut was a beast! I watched the drum battle video with Yolanda, and the middle kit--the In-tense set--was burly deep beyond belief!

What's the average price range for that 20/14/10 Origin beech/ovankgol kit? I'm assuming well over $4K US dollars? Do you paint the kits at all, if requested?

I want to hear that 24/14/18 kit tuned higher with coated heads!!!! :)

I said exactly the same thing in the other thread. I obviously have a sound in my head that I'm just begging this beast to achieve. Give me a drum key and some coated G1's, let me pitch that snare right up and the tom toms up a little and I'm convinced I could get it.

Walnut tuning nuances aside, that was pretty much what I've come to expect from Guru. The tonal purity of all of them is just awesome. Distinctly individual, yet undeniably Guru at the same time. Well done Andy.

I have never heard drums that sounded so pure and musical. they sing like timpani! There are a lot of good sounding single ply makers out there, but I have never heard the like of these. . .
Thank you so much. We really concentrate on manipulating all the constructional elements to deliver a defined set of characteristics, & it's heartwarming when that's picked up :) Just for clarification, non of these drums are single ply. Single ply has a set range of characteristics. Stave is at the opposite end of single ply (the walnut kit), but our very thin shells (for stave) change the game. Our segmented shells are also very thin compared to the standard for such shells. That feature, combined with the ultra low mass of all the hardware, offers all the openness of single ply but with added talents such as tonal weight & delivery definition. It's a combination we love, & my personal first choice for my own gigging kit.

Thanks Henri. It's good to have your ears verify the truthfulness of our recording presentation. That walnut kit in the room was insane :)

I like Yolanda Charles better than the drums.
Erm? Well yes.

Really nice recordings. Thanks for doing that. The drumming is great. Your drums are beautiful and sound like sex. And I am grateful that someone else is putting up "honest" recordings of their gear.
Thank you :) Out of interest, who is the someone else you're referring to?

I want to hear that 24/14/18 kit tuned higher with coated heads!!!! :)
I'm hearing you on that. Unfortunately, budget (time) constraints precluded that as an option. Maybe next time.

Very nice work, Andy. The Origin kits sound fantastic. The In-tense walnut was a beast! I watched the drum battle video with Yolanda, and the middle kit--the In-tense set--was burly deep beyond belief!

What's the average price range for that 20/14/10 Origin beech/ovankgol kit? I'm assuming well over $4K US dollars? Do you paint the kits at all, if requested?
Thank you for your kind words :) Origin is our most costly build. Yes, well over $4k, more like $7k. The T6 aluminium shell hardware pack costs us around $2k, & there's over 100 crafting ours across 4 months to make it. Prices always include PR AAA rigid cases.

Paint?? We leave that to others - sorry.

I said exactly the same thing in the other thread. I obviously have a sound in my head that I'm just begging this beast to achieve. Give me a drum key and some coated G1's, let me pitch that snare right up and the tom toms up a little and I'm convinced I could get it.
Thanks Jules :) Yes, I hear you on the tuning. George wanted that low fat snare for his piece, & that's fine. Personally, I'd be cranking the snare up like 2 octaves, & the toms by 1/2 an octave each, but that's just me. I think another video is in order, but that will have to wait. BTW, I've tuned the walnut kit exactly as I've just describes, & it delivered the best big band sound I ever heard :)

Walnut tuning nuances aside, that was pretty much what I've come to expect from Guru. The tonal purity of all of them is just awesome. Distinctly individual, yet undeniably Guru at the same time. Well done Andy.
THAT is exactly the reaction I dream of receiving, & precisely what we shoot for with each instrument. It's difficult to get a "family" feel to a complete range, especially with such disparate tonal characteristics, but to achieve that, yet offer distinction too, is a very tough act indeed. When someone notices that, it completely makes my day! :)

Maybe take out a few words and change the title : " The best drums ever. "
I didn't like big sizes until this video with that stave walnut kit. Now I think I need that set or at least a set with those sizes.

I too applaud your "honest capture" approach to these videos. When recording and mixing, it is difficult for engineers and producers to get out of their own way sometimes - not only do the drums sound beautiful and real, but EQ and compression is not necessary.

This approach needs a great sounding room, good mics, good preamps and great mic placement chops. Check, check, check and check.

Great job Andy, inspiring!

Neal

Andy, you mentioned the Origin video in the other thread and man, you were not joking. Wonderful to hear these drums used in that style from the higher tuning clip. Such a pure, beautiful tone.

I have question: You've mentioned preferring the 10" tom for bop tuning, and it does sound great here. Is there something about the 12" with the shell materials and construction Guru uses that you feel makes it less ideal at high tunings like this? Or is it just a personal preference?

Back