Cleaning drums

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I have searched and there are loads of cymbal cleaning threads but if wonder if anyone has a guide on cleaning drum shells and hardware, or if they'd care to spill the beans on their process and products.

I think airborne said he uses carwax which intrigued me.

Maybe if we get some good contributions we could make a sticky.

I mentioned this product before on this site. It's called Countertop Magic. I used to repair large printers and we used this on the metal as well as cleaning the exterior. So now I don't need to worry about cleaning the lugs with one cleaner and cleaning the wood with another. It works great and even smells good.

Attachments

• countertop magic.jpg
    countertop magic.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 515
Cool. So let's say your drums are dusty with fingerprints on the lugs and rims, what's your process from start to finish?

I use non-ammonia based window cleaner to clean everything shiny, ie. chrome lugs, hoops, hardware, wraps, and lacquer shells. If the drums are not slippery feeling after being cleaned, I will wax them with regular car wax. I dont own a satin or natural finish set, so I cant comment on those.

stands get wiped down with Turtle Wax chrome polish and once a year or so, if they are nasty, they go in the dishwasher with some bartender's Friend in the wash cup. If they're not so nasty they get a coat of car sealant after a wipedown.

Wood drums get wiped down with General Finish furniture cleaner and after a whole bunch of years the bare shells get a very light wipedown with tung oil.

Cymbals get a wipedown with Windex and a coat of car sealant, or nothing.

I haven't ever cleaned plastic coated drums.

I emailed Johnson and Johnson and they advised against using their furniture polish on laquered drums. On wraps no problem. I use only a damp cloth.

I was reading a restoration thread and remember someone using a plastic polish to bring some life back into an old wrap.

Anyone know the name of this product and how effective it is on scratched wraps?

Hmmm.. a pressure washer? ;-)

Seriously, simonize uses to have a chrome cleaner that was relay good for chrome and hardware, but that is long gone. If you use automobile products, just be sure they are not sealers, I'm pretty sure any finish does need to breath. Like others, I use microfiber cloths and if something is really bad, a very mild glass cleaner or a computer monitor screen cleaner.

If I were to need to polish a wrap, I think i would use a polish or something natural like Carnauba wax; and would use a product designed for Concours class cars. A lot of the materials used in those cars are on par with what is on good drums. And those Concours class car people are lot more conscious about that kind of stuff than anyone I've ever met. Zymol makes some really good stuff. You will find products that cost as much as drums. ;-)

I used to drag race (quick rod if thst matters) and I used plexus on the lexan windows. It worked great for removing tiny scratches.

For the drums /hoops , I use mother's cleaner/wax. Comes out really nice (I also use it on stainless appliances and black appliances as well. Streak free.

I emailed Johnson and Johnson and they advised against using their furniture polish on laquered drums. On wraps no problem. I use only a damp cloth.

Some think that furniture polish should be used. Nope, polish will break down the lacquer. A damp cloth is perfect.

I use non-ammonia based window cleaner to clean everything shiny, ie. chrome lugs, hoops, hardware, wraps, and lacquer shells. If the drums are not slippery feeling after being cleaned, I will wax them with regular car wax. I dont own a satin or natural finish set, so I cant comment on those.

I've never waxed my drums. But the non-ammonia window cleaner is safe and will do the job (for lacquered shells).

Lemony furniture polish (silicon based for the most part) and some degreasing window cleaner. BUT not on lacquered finishes or oiled finishes or old nitro cellulous finishes....

I also wax my car with Lemony furniture polish (silicon, of course)... read the can.

I used to wax my MC's with... you guessed it Lemony Furniture polish... doesn't leave build up and it wipes on and wipes off without leaving streaks etc...

DO NOT USE lemony furniture polish on hot surfaces.... I wax my cars/trucks/vans in the morning before the sun clears my trees and the temp is still a bit cool.

I use the same thing on poly finishes applied to guitars and electric basses.

In the olden days I guess you had to be mindful of what you used but with poly's, laminates, wraps etc... not so much.

I also use red shop rags (I have several hundred in the shop) and those are nice and don't leave behind pills or shreds or cling-ons.

AND Lemony furniture polish takes stick marks off of cymbals... I don't use nylon tipped sticks so I don't have that problem.

Last edited:
I just read an interview with Todd Sucherman's drum tech via the Web yesterday (I'm not sure of the interview date), and he said he uses a solution that's two parts Windex and one part ammonia, I believe, to clean the surface of the drums--to clean away dirt, grime, and residue from arena fog machines. Has anyone tried this concoction?

Nothing against appropriate cleaning products, but for fingerprints and dust you might consider just using a microfiber cloth before you try any cleaning agent. It might do what you need without any risk to any finish.

This has been the perfect solution for me for a while now. No need for chemicals, just high quality microfiber cloths, dampened slightly when necessary.

I just read an interview with Todd Sucherman's drum tech via the Web yesterday (I'm not sure of the interview date), and he said he uses a solution that's two parts Windex and one part ammonia, I believe, to clean the surface of the drums--to clean away dirt, grime, and residue from arena fog machines. Has anyone tried this concoction?

I would not use an ammonia based product. Considering what ammonia can do to plastic (fog it up) I would not want that chemical on my drum set/kit.

Nothing against appropriate cleaning products, but for fingerprints and dust you might consider just using a microfiber cloth before you try any cleaning agent. It might do what you need without any risk to any finish.

+1 I've got to agree with Motleyh on this one, especially on wood finishes. For chrome hardware and plastic wraps the only product I would use--and use sparingly--is Sprayway Glass Cleaner. It's the industry standard for professional car detailers and professional window cleaners. One of the finest products on the planet!

I would never use Windex on my drums let alone my windows. Windex is one of my top three despised products (right next to Armor All and WD-40).

Attachments

• Sprayway.png
    Sprayway.png
    123.5 KB · Views: 280

Vinegar based window cleaner vice ammonia based would probably work too.

I just purchased a Hart Dynamics Hammered snare that has some kind of dust on it. Looks like make up dust really. But a couple of little 'sticky' spots, in particular on the rubber rim. I'll try just the cloth first with some warm water and hope.

Other than that, might try some of the suggestions here.

Back